Astronomy of Ice and Fire: Black Hole Moon

LmL

Yes... I hate to make people go "oh, so he takes five years to write a book because he's torturong himself to fit in astronomy metaphors - but yes, he's chosen an especially dense, interconnected way of writing and worldbuilding. You can the level of scrutiny required just to catch the trail on some of this stuff.

The great thing about the astronomy generated archetypes is that once you see them, it adds much needed context to isolated things which you've already noticed as significant in some way. It explains why the dragons are Lightbringer, a sword is Lightbringer, and people can be Lightbringer. :)

Yet when she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. There was only her and the dragon. Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, the flame came roaring out in a hot jet. She could hear it singing to her. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, and yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

Of course the whole dream foreshadows Drogon, but I always felt metaphorically this part foreshadowed the black dragon as Jon and this fire cleansing her as the process of making another Lightbringer,or in other words, Jon conceiving a child with her and Dany dying with happiness,"finally finding home" that alluded her whole life. I strongly believe that the dream she had about sex with a corpse with a cold manhood referred to Jon in his resurrected form,as King of Winter or the Ice Dragon.

Its scales were black as night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood.

Notice that it is HER blood on him. I interpret this as the dragon and she are related. The only living dragons related to her by blood are Jon (I mean,black scales here are direct reference to him) and Jaime (yes,I am a believer of A+J=C+J,but it is another topic). I dunno,might be wrong.

Your essays actually persuade me more and more that the wielder of Lightbringer (Oathkeeper) and Dawn are going to clash in an epic battle in the end. The only two candidates who come to mind are Jon and Jaime. Who is going to wield either Lightbringer or Dawn I am not sure,but I definitely see Jaime fighting Jon till he proves that he is trueborn heir Targaryen.

But I don't believe they are going to kill each other,Jaime will still need to acknowledge Jon as his king and Rhaegar's heir and play the role of Kingmaker,Criston Cole. Probably they would be interrupted,where Jon will take on Dany and Drogon,while Jaime deals with Bran and the ice dragon. Jaime will slay the ice dragon,while Jon will tame Drogon and prove to Dany and everyone in the battlefield that he is her nephew. But it is total speculation of course...

Another amazing essay LmL. Your topics are the few here I am most looking forward to. Keep it coming!

Jaime vs Bran is intersting. They started it and they will finish it.

I’ve been looking at Ice’s transformation into Oathkeeper and have some thoughts on Oathkeeper in particular. The question is, does Oathkeeper have what it takes to be Lightbringer?

Most Valyrian steel was a grey so dark it looked almost black, as was true here as well. But blended into the folds was a red as deep as the grey. The two colors lapped over one another without ever touching, each ripple distinct, like waves of night and blood upon some steely shore. {…} “I worked half a hundred spells and brightened the red time and time again, but always the color would darken, as if the blade was drinking the sun from it. And some folds would not take the red at all, as you can see.” (ASOS, Tyrion)

First – what is very noticeable here is that the grey and red parts of the metal do not mix at all. They are completely separate from each other, they do not even touch. It actually sounds as though some parts of the metal accept colour while other parts do not. Now, Valyrian steel in general is grey but not quite black. My guess is that Ice was indeed originally created from moon meteorite rock with a degree of ‘black blood’ saturation. The fact that the sword is named Ice and its original colour is grey suggests we’re talking about ‘dirty ice’ here. ‘Drinking the light’ implies the steel sucks energy (light is a form of energy) from the red which in turn darkens it – in short we get the impression that both steel and infusion are contaminated to some degree.

I think the swords of Thoros, Beric and Oathkeeper offer some clues to the mechanics of turning a Valyrian sword into a ‘lightbringer’ sword.

Lightbringer itself was a fiery sword. I imagine it to be much like Beric’s sword, which he sets alight by slicing his left hand.

Unsmiling, Lord Beric laid the edge of his longsword against the palm of his left hand, and drew it slowly down. Blood ran dark from the gash he made, and washed over the steel.

And then the sword took fire

Beric’s sword is ordinary steel yet his blood makes contact with the sword, setting it alight. Blood can thus be thought of as the fuel that feeds the fire but what actually ignites it? And what about Thoros’ swords? These he rubs with wildfire and we know wildfire will penetrate almost anything, including steel. The flame only lasts as long as the fuel does and afterwards the weapon is useless. The way I see it, the challenge of creating a Lightbringer sword involves getting the fuel to mix with and penetrate the steel. Stannis’ Lightbringer appears to work with a glamour. I think it glows, but does it actually catch fire?

Seeing as Oathkeeper shows distinct ripples of grey and red, I wonder if this would count as sufficient mixing. Contamination is important. This sword also has rubies in the hilt so I guess rubies play a part – perhaps they serve to ignite the blood?

Another interesting quote comes from Jamie and reminds me of Beric’s slicing his left palm to create his flaming sword:

“Nor I. There was a time that I would have given my right hand to wield a sword like that. Now it appears I have, so the blade is wasted on me.

What could the right hand represent? In relation to Oathkeeper, does this allude to the King’s right Hand? As in Ned? I wonder. There have been so many examples of Hands of the King meeting premature deaths, even Tyrion thinks the post to be somehow cursed.

Anyway, that’s about it. Any thoughts?

muah ha ha ha ha :devil:

You know it's a good song! And the video is even better. Legendary, in fact.

They need a head-banging smiley face... come on guys, get it together.

You know what kind of pose that destroyed moon was in? The one that was sacrificed?

A Jesus Christ Pose.

I was actually thinking of making a playlist - Astronomy Domine & Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (Floyd), Behind the Sun (RHCP), the Pyramid Song (Radiohead), etc...

I got ideas, man! Send me those publishing agents!

Look at it this way - either I am right, and I will get tons of credit for being right (enough people have heard my theory by now) - or I have hallucinated all of this, and in that case... I have the seeds for an AWESOME fantasy novel with TONS OF SYMBOLISM ay? Of course Westeros users will know what I'm up to...

I did sort of wonder if the theory was too spoilerish when I first saw it - I had so much fun putting it all together for myself that I didn't want to rob anyone of the joy. But, George really has been trying very hard to clue people into this thing - the astronomy metaphors have gotten more and more vivid as the series has gone on, almost as if he is trying to see how far he needs to go before people get it. I just want everyone to be in on the joke, so to speak. I mean, it's a whole different book when you read through just looking for symbolism, specifically astronomy symbolism. It's a whole. new. book. Dance with Dragons in particular becomes totally psychedelic. Love that book. The Watward Bride might be my favorite chapter in the whole series... it's so surreal, with the tide of trees swarming over the Ironborn by moonlight... awesome.

Oh no I didn't mean you, I meant there are some pieces of evidence when read together (that were redacted), that not only appear to validate every aspect of what you wrote but ultimately every step to the final ending... I think there may be one comprehensive theory out there online that seems to have touched on it already but I'd rather leave it be.

The work you've done hasn't been so much spoiling, but piecing together the cosmic and archtype forces into a cohesive theory that shines light onto the ambiguities, especially the BE and the AE.

Jon will be the weapon used by men, forces of fire, and dragons to drive out the Others and I don't think Drogon will make it, unless he will be turned into a wighted dragon. When they are at their heels, Jon will have an awakening of some sort, a hesitation, to realize that the Others are not truly evil, unless this has already happened with the Ides of Marsh. I think it will be at this time that Jon will play the role to defend forces of Ice and defend them against them against the forces of Fire. He can't let Fire win at the cost of committing genocide of the whole entire species and race of Ice.

It occurred to me some time ago that both "races", Ice and Fire ones, White Walkers and the Fire ones (whatever Mel, Moqqoro and Rhlorists actually are, human they are not) probably represented two powerful protohuman factions in the Great Empire of the Dawn.

They all shared the rule and the power and peacefully co-existed in the Great Empire of the Dawn, staying in balance by respecting the customs and traditions that their extraterrestrial forefathers (Maiden made of Light and Lion of the Night) thought them, then someone (Bloodstone Emperor?) disrupted that balance and caused the civil war that tore the Empire to pieces. Astronomy events followed, whether caused naturally, or one of the warring factions used magic to destroy a great source of other faction's power aka set the trajectory of the comet upon one of the moons, who knows. Global War started with two dominant factions raising above all others, using magic to do unnatural things to themselves and the environment around them. Ice and Fire. One turned themselves into beings of pure Ice (WWs), others turned themselves into whatever Mel and Moqqoro are or even a worse form that we haven't seen yet. Ice dragons fighting Fire dragons and all that jazz.

When rest of the factions

(with the help from the normal ones from Ice and Fire groups who didn't want War or to transform themselves fully, also some factions like the water/squisher ones clearly allied themselves with the Ice faction)

realized that shit has hit the fan, that Sun was not coming back and that the conflict is destroying everyone, they united! To lead them, they chose someone who represented a unification of them all as one, a hybrid, a sphinx, the one will bring the Light again to the world.

They managed to subdue both of the warring factions to a point, and forced them to sign a pact to stick to their own patches of land, White Walkers in their Lands of Always Winter (I suppose there has to be an Ice city somewhere in them, one that may have once been just their regular seat of power and a normal city before they changed) and the Fire ones in Asshai, or in the Shadow. They thought that they eradicated their weapons, while missing a contingent of the War machines, read Dragons, hiding in the fiery depths of Valyria, that they didn't know about. (Yes, there will be no dragons when the story is finished). The Wall was built and the world returned to some weaker version of NORMAL. Seasons still out of whack.

Rewind to present day Westeros. Great Houses that are descended from great men of the Age of Heroes or rather each representing a powerful faction from the Great Empire of the Dawn itself (for example, the Starks are the Ice faction, but the good one, the one before the Great War and their transformation to WWs, Targs clearly the Fire side, again before they turned to whatever and so on...) , are AGAIN in a heavy CIVIL WAR. The events are repeating themselves and the pact signed so long ago is broken. History of the first Great War almost forgotten... The Long Night is coming again...

Oh, forgot to mention that I believe that in the GEOTD before the Great War, pale milkglass swords like Dawn were common amongst the ice faction, and Valyrian like swords amongst the fire faction...

Maybe they knew how to make the swords without blood sacrifice involved, but during the LN all went out whack, certain knowledges forgotten and blood became the norm. The swords perverted. Or not.

Hey Han Snow, glad you made it over to the thread. Some good ideas there, and I have had some similar thoughts on some things.

Soemthing that occurred to me the other day, as far as what the moon meteors do exactly, what magic they enabled. They weren't the origin of dragons, because 5 Forts and Battle Isle probably weren't both built during the Long Night. It wasn't the origin of magic, because cotf have been doing their thing for a long time, and the pale fire swords in the dream indicate magic as well. The Others appeared for the first time after the moon meteors landed, but I haven't been able to find a hint about a meteor up north (I HAVE been looking for that sucker though). So what did the meteors do, besides explode?

Necromancy. Raising the dead. Undying Ones. Dead things in the water. The Others and the wights. Shadowbinders like Mel who don't eat and have black blood. Fire wights like Beric and Mel. The city of the bloodless men, for all we know. Even those black-tailed mermaids. I think this is what the meteor brought. We know it drinks the light, and we know it is magically toxic in some way (Asshai and Yeen). Deep Ones / fishy humanoids are associated with Toad Isle and Seastone chair, and maybe Yeen and maybe Moat Cailin (which may or may not be greasy, based on that one quote in ADWD). This is the other thing the meteor seems to have brought - crossbreeding magic. This is more speculative, I feel more solid about the necromancy, but this fits too. It was during the Long Night that the dark tide came, and I believe the Deep Ones came with it. This would be when the Deep Ones came ashore, raping and terrorizing humans at Lorath, 1,000 islands, Iron Islands, along the shores of the westerlands and the Reach (so and so son of Garth drove the merlings and selkies back into the sea). This would be when the Storm God drowned nagga's fire.

Back to the necromancy - I think this is the important thing. The original NW were all undead, like CH, I am coming to believe. There is so much comparison between the NW and the WW: they are both watchers, they are both groups of brothers loyal to each other, they are both shadows - dark shadows and pale shadows - etc. The NW used fire and dragonglass, and dragonsteel.

What I believe happened is that greenseers are at the root of everything (pun intended). I am certain that greenseers became or created others, and I believe that greenseers became fire entities as well. I think the same is true of aquatic people hybrids - the Farwynds are a great example. Basically, we have greenseers turning into fire, ice, and sea beings. And we have fire, ice, and sea undead, or various types (resurrected zombies, and peole whose blood has turned, like Mel and probably the NQ). I think all that happened after the meteors landed.

These are supposed to Lovecraftian meteors, I think it is clear. Causing necromancy and cross species hybridization sounds about right, doesn't it?

So what did the meteors do, besides explode?

Amplified whatever magic that was present already.

Fire wights like Beric and Mel.

I would not say that Mel = Beric or Victarion, in whatever fire beings capacity they are. If the White Walkers change a living human child into one of them, not into a mere wight, I see the same being done with the fire side. Maybe their wights are more sentient and remember who they were before dying, or it depends on the one who resurrects them, but I definitely think that Mel, Moqqoro, Bennero and the rest of the Red priest gang are different, that they are more in line with what White Walkers are on the other side. And I'm willing to bet that there are even more sinister versions of them, maybe actually dragonlike humanoids???

This is the other thing the meteor seems to have brought - crossbreeding magic

When did Blood become the new key ingredient in everything magical?

Back to the necromancy - I think this is the important thing. The original NW were all undead, like CH, I am coming to believe. There is so much comparison between the NW and the WW: they are both watchers, they are both groups of brothers loyal to each other, they are both shadows - dark shadows and pale shadows - etc. The NW used fire and dragonglass, and dragonsteel.

What I believe happened is that greenseers are at the root of everything (pun intended). I am certain that greenseers became or created others, and I believe that greenseers became fire entities as well. I think the same is true of aquatic people hybrids - the Farwynds are a great example. Basically, we have greenseers turning into fire, ice, and sea beings. And we have fire, ice, and sea undead, or various types (resurrected zombies, and peole whose blood has turned, like Mel and probably the NQ). I think all that happened after the meteors landed.

These are supposed to Lovecraftian meteors, I think it is clear. Causing necromancy and cross species hybridization sounds about right, doesn't it?

Why??? I doesn't fit. I think that Geodawnian humans did that to themselves. I think that Children of the Forest and their cousins in Essos were not in any way a major part of the original initial conflict aka the GEOTD civil war. Only after it spread across the planet, became Global and started to endanger them directly, they started to get involved again. One of the human factions that wanted to restore peace had to beg for their help (Last Hero). The Ice and Fire folk changed themselves in pursuit of each others destruction.

This whole saga is a cautionary tale or a comment on human obsession with war, the damaging effect we have on the environment... AND History repeating itself. The COTF are keepers of the balance, they are the ones who sing the song of earth. It makes much more sense that Humans themselves in their vanity, pride and search for even more power transformed themselves into pure Ice and pure Fire beings. It fits with their descriptions and depictions in the TV show. so no, I don't buy COTF doing the transformation. Human greenseers only came after the LN ended and COTF started mixing with the humans.

About the OG Night's Watch being undead but sentient wights... Maybe, but they had to be dealt with after the LN because some of them went bonkers? Maybe... I don't think Jon will become like that. Also, to me Coldhands is probably a COTF version of wights, not a fire or ice one...

Jon will be the weapon used by men, forces of fire, and dragons to drive out the Others and I don't think Drogon will make it, unless he will be turned into a wighted dragon. When they are at their heels, Jon will have an awakening of some sort, a hesitation, to realize that the Others are not truly evil, unless this has already happened with the Ides of Marsh. I think it will be at this time that Jon will play the role to defend forces of Ice and defend them against them against the forces of Fire. He can't let Fire win at the cost of committing genocide of the whole entire species and race of Ice.

Forgot to add in my previous post, that there is no doubt in my mind after reading these books and watching the TV show, that the Others are COMPLETELY evil, same for the other side. newJon may at first try to reach an understanding with both sides, but in the end he, or whoever it is that rallies the ordinary humans behind him, will have to wipe them out, root and stem. There is no place for them in the world anymore. No more Walls, no more dragons, no more magic...

Low on time, so quick response: first, typo on my part. Beric and Stoneheart are fire wights; Mel is a living person whose blood is being transformed. We agree, I just mistyped.

Second, the idea of the greenseers being at the middle of everything absolutely fits. The trees are the most important magical thing in the story, not the GEotD. I should specific that I think it was HUMAN greenseers who did all this transforming, not cotf. The meteor brought the corrupting magic that enabled un-life (theory), and it was human greenseers using its power than transformed.

Trust me, Han Solo, at least enough to keep your mind open. You know how. research things - I've been accumulating clues that tie the trees to the Others, aquatic humans, and fire beings, and it's really overwhelming. The Trees are at the center of it all. They kind of have to be.

We agree cotf are the balance keepers; it's the human greenseers who went wrong.

Azor Ahai may be a greenseer fire being. Think about a goat headed baphomet horned god, an opposite of Garth the Green. A few clues about this:

- Nissa means "helpful elf."

- Tons of skinchanging clues relating to Leng (hat tip Evolett, Mithras)

- Ifequevron prove cotf not confined to Westeros

- Large, golden eyes of Lengi sound like cotf (can see in the dark well)

- "Old Ones" beneath Leng

- "Old One" is a name for the famous Horned God mythological archetype

- as is "Horned One" (think "Horned Lord" from far north)

- Sacred Order of a Green Men are not cotf. They are very tall and wear antlers or have antlers (antlers = horns for Horned God archetypes)

- Tons of language about trees turning black, black stags, etc.

- Coldhands= undead greenseer

oh. yes, probably. thanks for pointing that out. I need to archive some of those... people have sent me all kinds of cool stuff, all of which I cannot possibly remember. Sometimes I go back over the comments of the earlier threads and just take notes. So many ideas... anyway. I'll clear some space, or you can leave the comment here. It's all on topic as far as I am concerned. I like the pone conversation, as I am chasing many threads at once here. :)

Okay, perhaps I've missed something, but at one point, you suggest that perhaps the earthly Azor Ahai used his 'starry wisdom' to predict the come strike on the fire moon, and he timed the Blood Betrayal to correspond with that occasion. Yet you also state that Lightbringer was created with the 'blood' of the fire moon. If the Blood Betrayal is essentially the same as the forging of Lightbringer, how can the sword have been made of moon blood? The only explanation I can think of to explain the seemingly disparate timelines is that maybe, when the comet passed Planetos its first time, part of it broke off, fell to the ground, and was found and worshipped by AA. Then, when the comet came around a second time, AA would have had the moon blood for making his sword when the fire moon was destroyed, which is the only way he could have timed the sacrifice to coincide with the impact. I suppose that it would also explain how he knew that a comet was coming, even with his starry wisdom. Is this what we're supposed to be getting out of your posts?

-Antares

Hey Antares8, I can see where the confusion arises. Thanks for reading, let me see if I can can explain how I look at this.

I do not think Azor Ahai actually tempered his magic sword in Nissa Nissa / Amethyst Empress's heart. I'm far more convinced that the sword is made from moon meteors. If it was tempered with her actual blood, then clearly he killed her after the moon impact, after the meteors fell, and after he was able to forge the sword. But I don't think the myth is that literal.

What I was proposing is that the BSE timed his murder ritual with the God's Eye eclipse - he may or may not have predicted the actual impact - and then forged his sword shortly afterward, after the moon meteors crashed to earth. The sword would not be tempered in Nissa's blood, but the moon's blood of which Nissa was symbolic. If you want to really give AA power, perhaps he sacrificed Nissa to work the magic needed to steer the comet into the moon. This scenario would be the one where Azor Ahai is some sort of horned god greenseer baphomet thing, and the stories of the greenseers calling down the hammer of the waters (the moon meteors) relate back to AA the dark horned god causing the collision with his Nissa sacrifice.

Or, perhaps the BSE didn't predict shit, and the collision happened, the meteors fell, and he was already dabbling in dark magic, and then exploited the chaos to seize power. He used the black meteor stone to boost his wizardness, or netter said, he figured out how to harness it's power somehow. Then he became the Bloodstone Emperor and did his evil deeds. In this case, he could have forged the sword first from the meteor, and tempered it in literal Nissa Nissa's chest.

I'm keeping an open mind when we get down to specifics like this, because any one of these scenarios could fit the metaphors as I currently understand them. I'm very open to ideas for or against any of these or similar related ideas. I mean, it's a fundamental question - do the events happen in the sky first, then manifest on the ground? That's the direction I lean, but in some cases it may be that people ini tied events which effected the heavens. It is fantasy, so... ;)

In addition to drinking the sun and darkening the crimson to the color of blood, we have the phrase “waves of blood and night.” This sounds like another way of describing the black and bloody tide which was triggered by the impact of a moon meteor. At this point, I’ll make this an official hypothesis: the Bloodstone Emperor Azor Ahai made his famous fiery sword from this black, sun drinking meteorite which he worshipped. It would be a fitting counterpoint to the Daynes of Starfall, whose white sword Dawn was supposedly made from a pale stone of magical powers, which was the heart of a falling star.

I don’t think Dawn can be Azor Ahai’s Lightbringer, because as we’ve seen, everything associated with falling meteorites in the east involves black, sun-drinking stone – the opposite of Dawn, which is pale as milkglass and alive with light. This might mean that “Lightbringer” is misnamed – perhaps a better name would be Darkbringer, or Dark Lightbringer (my preference). It might also mean that the sword Dawn is the sword which actually gives light, the “light-bringer” in a literal sense. It’s called the “Sword of the Morning,” i.e. “the sword that brought the morning,” while Lightbringer seems to have brought on the nightfall to end all nightfalls. Arthur Dayne wields the Sword of Morning, but “Darkstar” Gerold Dayne, who is “of the night,” does not. Nymeria Martell married Davos Dayne, who was Sword of the Morning, but Vorian Dayne, called “the Sword of the Evening,” did not wield Dawn, and was cast down by Nymeria sent to the Wall.

I have begun thinking of these two swords as both being “lightbringer swords,” meaning that they seem an opposite pair. It is A Song of Ice and Fire, after all, so the idea of two magical swords clashing in the Dawn Age makes a great deal of sense. Azor Ahai’s Lightbringer is of course associated with fire, while Dawn is pale as milkglass – milkglass being the description of the bones of the Others, which are “like milkglass, pale and shiny..” The swords of the Others are described as “alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal,” while Dawn is “alive with light.” The Others’ swords are also called “pale swords” a couple of times, while at Starfall they have a tower called“the Palestone Sword.” I won’t be the first to propose this, but consider: “Dawn,” with it’s icy imagery and Dawn Age legacy, may in fact be the original Ice of House Stark. I’m going to stop here, as there is really a whole essay’s worth of material just on the magic swords, but suffice it to say, we may be looking at “a song of ice and fire swords.” Anyone familiar with ASOIAF knows that “song” is often a reference for swordplay with phrases like “the song of steel” or “the song of battle.”

o========================================o

I know everyone but me seems to be sold on the idea that Dawn is connected with the Others because of its pale milkiness and all, but while we have been told that Lightbringer has a red flame, the flaming swords in Daenerys' dream sequence are pale fire, as is he flaming sword in Jaime's dream. Jon's dream has a flaming red sword, but it is specifically Longclaw in his dream.If his is a tale of two swords, then they both appear to be swords of fire. Just as wildfire produces green fire, the bloodstone and blood sacrifice produced a red flamed weapon, and the heart of a star produced a white flame.

“Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade.” GoT 802

I was going to say something else here, but family duties call.

Okay. I haven't put much thought into it, as I said it's just a brainwave. Perhaps the Valyrian Targaryens were descended from ProtoValyrian/GeoDawnian First Men, say the Daynes? If you were the Last Hero, you might get tired of the fame and move to a nice, quiet sheep-herding community in Essos.

I was thinking that would explain why it is that TDtwP is to be of House Targaryen--the next "last" hero is descended from the first "last" hero.

I tried to work out a connection between the forging of Dawn and the blood-bonding to dragons, but my brain can't get that far tonight, so I'll leave that to fresher, less-stressed minds.

Archived