Why did George make the slavers in SB so atrocious?

Mithras

^^ I think it is. I think it is for the ruling class of SB just like it will be for the White Walkers. Or do you think it will be bad to genocide the WW's as well? What about the orcs in TLOTR, should we save them from genocide too?

What would Master Yoda say?

The slaves actually claim to have a decent quality of life, a large portion of them - Dany's living conditions after her overthrow were actually worse for many people. That is NOT a justification for slavery, but it does go against your OP's premise that the slaver's are so horrible. SLavery is basically the most evil thing one can do to another human being - so that said, as slavers go, they aren't especially bad - I mean compare them to the American south during the civil war. That was nothing but horror. It was so horrible you couldn't even write it in a book.

I think they're very silly and ostentatious, but that's how they were supposed to be. They are remnants of a different time, much like the Undying, living off of remembered glories long in the past. A house of kindling ready to go up in flames. Dany set it afire... it was bound to happen. The real shit will hit the fan when Volantis overthrows the old blood.

^^ I think it is. I think it is for the ruling class of SB just like it will be for the White Walkers. Or do you think it will be bad to genocide the WW's as well? What about the orcs in TLOTR, should we save them from genocide too?

You either have to consider them mustache twirling cartoons who dont matter, or they are people you genuinely care about, can't have it both ways.

It's bad to launch a genocide on anybody

You either have to consider them mustache twirling cartoons who dont matter, or they are people you genuinely care about, can't have it both ways.

I'm perfectly willing to genocide another species - after all that's what we try to do to smallpox and the like. But the Ghiscari are humans. Big difference.

I didn't mean it would be a shock that she's invading Westeros. Just that I think it's possible that morally black slavers are like that to disguise how ruthless and tyrannical Dany can potentially be. So when she gets to Westeros and she starts burning people we like, it will be a big subversion of expectations for many readers. Which isn't to say she'll be a full on villain. But she'll do a lot of things which do not make her look good.

The conflict of the heart for Dany is between tree-planter (wise ruler planning for the future) and blood of the dragon (violent conqueror at best, the gods flip a coin at worst). That's the burden of her dragon blood - it's makes people... a bit "edgy," shall we say. I think George fully intends to play with this idea. I for one want to see Dany master her dragon and plant trees in the end... maybe wishful thinking, but I think this embracing the dragon stuff is bad business, and I think in her heart she wants to plant trees.

Aragorn did indeed warn the orcs at Helms Deep to flee. And Gandalf said "As for me, I pity even his slaves."

It's quite possible that Dany and her supporters will carry out genocide in Slavers Bay, in response to rebellion and invasion, but I doubt if we should rejoice in it.

This I did not need to know.

In Robert Harris' Pompeii, there's a description of a Roman banquet where one character looks across to see the sow's vulva "grinning toothlessly at him."

Want a couple other recipes, used by very respected cultures, that would freak us modern people out way more than the puppies of Slavers Bay?

Somebody's weird recipes are not a reason to condemn them.

:agree:

Want a couple other recipes, used by very respected cultures, that would freak us modern people out way more than the puppies of Slavers Bay?

Somebody's weird recipes are not a reason to condemn them.

Alcoholic drinks containing liquidized frogs are popular in parts of the Andes.

Archived