Why did George make the slavers in SB so atrocious?

Mithras

I imagine you're not referencing the wars and violent upheaval in Brazil, Uruguay, Mexico, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Argentina, Peru. Bolivia, Chile, etc., during this period. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate.

... Violent upheaval? Are you mad? Brazil's slavery ended when the slavery system ended quite late, it is true, but slavery simply wasn't working anymore, complains were more about compensation and hardly violent. Uruguay never allowed slavery, if I am correct. And so on. I imagine you could reference actual history.

But what does it matter? Who cares about the Liberator or pyramid builders?

I've said this before: we don't need an Essosi POV to get the scope of the place.

The topic (out of the OP attempt at starting a Dany hate thread) is about ghiscari looking like cartoon vilains with no redeeming qualities.

I'm just explaining why.

Who cares ? The people who would have wanted more nuanced/human opponents for Dany, having a rich and interesting civilization to defend for example..

(About an Essossi PoV I think it would have been a good idea, but I agree it's not necessarily needed, especially as Tyrion is there and likely to give a more nuanced view.)

The start of this argument was "genocide the Ghiscari, they deserve it for being slavers", without any further consideration.

This particular argument (About persecution of people for the crimes of their ancestors) started when someone said: (I am paraphrasing)

"The Masters need to pay for the evil perpetrated over 5,000 years of slaving."

This is an issue issue in Germany at the moment, and something that is fresh on my mind. I personally cannot understand how anyone could say that we are responsible for the acts of our forebears in any way.

Should the Grand Masters have to deal with what they have done? Yes.

Should they have to pay for the actions of previous generations? No.

Yeah, I cannot understand why Martin did this as that would be like making the antagonists of another character just be made up of two assholes, two flaying rapists, and a whole bunch of ice monsters.

Yeah, I cannot understand why Martin did this as that would be like making the antagonists of another character just be made up of two assholes, (...)

The way Jon sees the Watch old guard is indeed very similar to the way Dany sees her ghiscari court, and one more instance of PoV influence on readers.

Archived