Bakker XXXVII: One Big Happy Fanimry

.H.

Wow. I think I'm just going to forget about Bakker and TSA for awhile. I was hoping to plan a re-read before the publication, but it's really looking farther and farther away at this point.

He should release that first chapter on Pat's blog and other places in order to drum up interest. Heck, release two or three chapters like Martin does. The book is over 300k long.

Hell... just release the book! It could be like the movie Pootie Tang, where he sits down with Bob Costas to show a clip of the movie and two hours later Costas says "Wow... that was some clip."

It's funny that I feel like I can't completely dismiss the possibility that Bakker takes something up a notch in the finale that the publishers find unpublishable. I'm certainly not betting on that, but with Bakker I think it can't be dismissed.

Seriously though, WTF.

It would be pretty messed up to threaten someone at Overlook with plying, but if one of you guys did it, I'd be cool with it.

Yea, that sucks. I just wish that a company could have the common decency to respond their customers. This no reply is what is so disheartening. Callan S., so much for it being due to their work schedule, huh? But, in all fairness you said next week will be the latest the would respond by, because of holidays. We shall see.

I gave some kind of deadline for them to respond? Maybe you're thinking of some other poster.

Another theory is that Bakker finally pissed someone off that matters to his livelihood.

Unlikely, but keep in mind we are only hearing his side.

Eh, doesn't seem that unlikely. And, no, to the post above, don't threaten overlook, that's a good way to get the book NEVER published.

Eh, doesn't seem that unlikely. And, no, to the post above, don't threaten overlook, that's a good way to get the book NEVER published.

Wouldn't someone pick it up though or short of that couldn't Bakker self-publish?

I was figuring the former as the most likely and that the bummer there would simply be that it would add a ton of time to the process.

Wouldn't someone pick it up though or short of that couldn't Bakker self-publish?

I was figuring the former as the most likely and that the bummer there would simply be that it would add a ton of time to the process.

Self-publishing *might* work for someone like Bakker: he's got sufficient name recognition and genre respect to overcome the traditional hurdles of that route. On the other hand, it would seriously hurt his ego.

Yeah but if you piss off a publisher In The right way they will hold on to the rights as long as they can, just to be dicks. See Kearny and his Sea Beggers.

It really depends on what kind of contract Bakker signed for the second series. He seemed pretty confident in his blog post that it might be viable. Still. It sucks, either way. I'm starting to think we'll see The Winds of Winter before TUC, something I wouldn't have betted any kind of money on until very recently...

Yeah but if you piss off a publisher In The right way they will hold on to the rights as long as they can, just to be dicks.

Nay, it's because the publisher looks at their 'What would Kellhus do?' wrist band and then does that.

To be a dick would mean you atleast care...

My tin-foil hat theory is that they plan to drop the series, so they are attempting to inflict as much financial damage to it before they give it up. I really hope I am wrong though.

This would explain the disappearance of his ebooks though and lack of UK shelf-space, etc.

My tin-foil hat theory is that they plan to drop the series, so they are attempting to inflict as much financial damage to it before they give it up. I really hope I am wrong though. This would explain the disappearance of his ebooks though and lack of UK shelf-space, etc.

eh. it's a lot more likely that, with the changeover in administration/editors etc., they're indifferent to the series, and as the sales aren't exactly burning up the charts (how can they, when the books aren't even stocked in mainstream booksellers like B&N? See my post above about New Mexico distribution or rather the lack thereof), Bakker's just an afterthought at this point. Thus the 'we'll publish this brick sometime in 2016' boilerplate and the online shrugs to the email campaign.

Archived