Bakker XXXVII: One Big Happy Fanimry

.H.

Was there a big change over in admin at Overlook? That might explain some things.

Don't quote me on that, I was just speculating on potential reasons along with known factors (editors). Bakker's first book came out twelve-thirteen years ago, which is ages in media. I wish he'd been picked up by Tor. It might have meant some atrocious Darrell Sweet-esque cover art in the early days, but it would also come with greater exposure and market commitment.

Is it possible to get some authors to talk about this? I know GRRM has read PoN and praised it somewhat.

I actually did mention something on his blog. I think it got marked as spam and went unpublished. He's pretty picky at staying on point so that might not be the best venue to reach him. I tried to tie it in with the post, though, showing that I purchased a Tor book in response to his plea, in hopes that he might reciprocate.

Anyhow, from the examples I've seen in the gaming world, it's best for these things to be synchronized and persistent. We should really try again at getting a thread up here, since, as has been mentioned, not every Westerosi who reads and recommends the series frequents these threads. That should be the main place for the central message, which we can then disseminate (lol) and link to across reddit, twitter, TSA, and Bakker's blog. After that, getting some attention elsewhere such as Pat or GRRM would be great too.

Well, MG has bakkerfans across pretty much every social media medium. Which I think you have access to Bolivar.

Otherwise, SA should be the central venue but it's not. Or it is and we have so few adherents.

It may be worth doing something on Amazon (adding a discussion to Bakker's books raising this point about Overlook?) and certainly on Goodreads. You'll pick up a lot of traction there.

What word shall I use? And no, it wasn't in the thread title.

seiriously?

Just state facts, quote the phone response from Overlook and suggest that anyone who wants to read TUC can help by writing a "polite" email to Overlook stating you are a fan, have been waiting to buy the book and urge Overlook to add it to their production calendar.

Good job, Bolivar. Look I have an account over at SA. And, I love the insight and all over there. Just, its hard to keep a conversation flowing. You post something and you don't get any feedback for 3-4 days. I understand a bigger membership would help out. And, I have no problem discussing anything on the SA board and its logically the place to discuss Bakker. People just tend to go with what's familiar. Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, as they say.

I'm working on posting more often over at SA, to foster more of discussion. Just that I can rarely do so on the weekends, since I work so much, that's my only family time.

Yeah, it's a network effect, TSA will get better the more you use it. I've had some threads I've been meaning to make for a while but it's just hard balancing free time. Also i enjoy just lurking there because some of the members have been discussing the series a lot longer than i have and have really refined theories. There is also something about small communities that makes them oftentimes better. I like how podcasts seem to form organically, speaking of which, we should probably do one soon.

So, I'm doing a very slow reread of the series. And last night was on the chapter in TDTCB, The Sorcerer. And we are first introduced to Akka's dreams. He's jotting down notes, here's one of them.

Fords of Tywanrae. Same. Burning of the Library of Sauglish. Different. See my face and not S in mirror.

So 50 pages into the book we are tipped that Akka's (in particular) dreams are very special. From the beginning they start to change. Seeing himself and not Seswatha. So is Akka like Seswatha's chosen vessel for the Second Apocalypse? It goes along with my theory that Ses is behind everything. It would explain why Akka becomes the prophet of the past. Why he's getting these special very different dreams. People have speculated its Kellhus sending Akka the dreams, yet, here before he even know of Kellhus his dreams are different. I think Seswatha is the mover of all pieces, not Moe.

I don't think that Akka's dreams become unusual until The Judging Eye, MSJ. (As it happens, I'm doing a re-read now, too!) I remember reading one of Akka's reflections on his dreams, in the first trilogy I think, where he muses on the common permutations that happen--"substitutions and inversions," etc.. He also thinks of the shelves of books in Atyersus where Mandate scholars have catalogued the different forms the dreams take. I always assumed that the example you list would fall into this usual category, rather than the new dreams that Akka gets in the second trilogy.

I don't think that Akka's dreams become unusual until The Judging Eye, MSJ. (As it happens, I'm doing a re-read now, too!) I remember reading one of Akka's reflections on his dreams, in the first trilogy I think, where he muses on the common permutations that happen--"substitutions and inversions," etc.. He also thinks of the shelves of books in Atyersus where Mandate scholars have catalogued the different forms the dreams take. I always assumed that the example you list would fall into this usual category, rather than the new dreams that Akka gets in the second trilogy.

Fair Enough, but him seeing himself instead of Seswatha is what caught me. In the second trilogy, he remarks that he isn't Seswatha in the dreams anymore. I just thought it was a subtle, looking back kinda hint. On rereads I tend to look way too deep into things.

Maybe seeing himself in the mirror is a discrepancy though. I read the books as they often see themselves but hear Seswatha's voice but taking over a reflection? Probably reaching but it might be something more.

Madness: third time's a charm! Lol hope I'm not cursed but I'm definitely down for contributing whenever I get time.

I don't know. I think the line that MSJ posted is pretty explicit in that something is changing even at that early stage. I think it then builds and they change more substantially as the story goes on and Akka is compelled to reflect on it more.

Archived