Bakker XXXVII: One Big Happy Fanimry

.H.

OK guys, I have a feeling Scott got told that it will be "done when it's done." I doubt we'll hear much, if anything really.

To draw this thread back to actual discussion, MG at tSA found the following quote (from Scott in Grimdark Magazine), what should we make of it:

What I set out to do was to write the first fantasy that self-consciously included meaning with gods, magic, and spirits, to write a fantastic apocalypse that mirrors our ongoing ‘semantic apocalypse’ in photographic negative.

Is he saying that Earwa is our negative, in the sense that it has meaning and people are learning that, where as here in the real world there is truly no meaning and we are learning that?

I'll be honest - that stuff about photographic negative worries me. The series is best when it's not trying to symbolize or discuss anything about our world. (See past criticisms of "allegorical flattening")

If the ending to the trilogy is an attempt to say something more about our future (or, more precisely, as Bakker sees our future through his own lens) I'm a bit scared the ending won't make much sense and will be far too ambiguous.

Go too far in that direction and suddenly stuff like "Hey, why don't we tie some chorae to these dragons?" becomes the most controversial and important question you can be asked about your work.

I think I can understand your concern there, but the more I think of the series, I can't help but feel it is allegorical, at least in it's theory.

Over at tSA, I've even speculated that the Dunyain, Nonmen and Inchoroi, are all allegorical examples of 'transhumanism,' for example.

I don't think the ending of TUC will be the concrete, definitive one we might want. However, I'm fine with more questions, I guess that's my nature though.

Madness did say it left him with more questions than answers. So, there's that.

Yes, this factors in the my expectation of the ending as well.

I guess I am a weirdo in that, for me, asking the right question is about as important as finding the right answer. It probably as to do with the fact that I am usually bad at answers though.

Yes, this factors in the my expectation of the ending as well.

Remember that TUC isn't the end of the whole series. Although with the recent problem with Overlook it's looking even more unlikely that the third series will get published, I think.

Remember that TUC isn't the end of the whole series. Although with the recent problem with Overlook it's looking even more unlikely that the third series will get published, I think.

Yeah, I meant the end of TUC, I should have specified, sorry.

I'm not really drawn to Bakker's philosophy for it's representation of truth, or The Truth, but for it's implications for the story. In other words, I'm just trying to see if I can figure out where he's taking it...

Don't think overlook has the rights to the final series. I think it's more of an issue of him finding the time, now that he teaches full time and had kids.

Hopefully something will come out this week.

Shame the other thread specifically dedicated to this was deleted...

Then again Bakker threads seem to not get much love from the mods around here...

Well, maybe next time don't call for, however jokingly, for a harrasment campaign.

DR2: Whoa hold yer' horses there a second! I don't remember calling for anything, let alone a harassment campaign! That's just not my style. 

My email to Overlook was polite and concise and I would send an equivalent email for any author whose final volume publishing status remains undefined and whose series I was eagerly awaiting completion thereof.

I do get your point though - even if I do disagree with it. Tone on the internet can be hard to quantify and the whole "fans being heard" could be seen as a detraction against its intended affect.

To each their own.

Harass was definitely the wrong word. Had I used engage instead of harass, we'd never be having this conversation. However, clearly the mods aren't interested in facilitating Bakker's series.
Why would they be? They're moderating a website. The expectation that a website devoted to another fan and now author's work about a entirely different series would have mods that really, really wanted to facilitate another series - despite, ya know, the actual agent of said author actually saying 'knock it the fuck off' - is kind of insanely entitled. IGN? Probably also does not have mods that are interested in facilitating Bakker's series. Nor does the National Review. Maybe you could try over at Vox Populi and see if he's interested in facilitating it. 

The basic rule of thumb is that each series gets a topic on the boards if there's interest. You are encouraged to spin off to other topics if the conversation gets wildly different. You will almost certainly have topics closed if you open a topic that is  too close to an existing one. This has been the case on this site since at least 2001. If you're really confused about it, talk to the mod (kat) that closed the thread as to why, instead of casting aspersions on the people who work on this site for free. 

DR2: Whoa hold yer' horses there a second! I don't remember calling for anything, let alone a harassment campaign! That's just not my style.

The original version of Slog of Slogs contained 'harass' in the thread title. Shockingly, the mods decided that that would not be a particularly good thing to encourage and in general does not like calling for threads to harass publishers. 

Archived