How to Get a Wiki Account

Linda

Unfortunately not, no. Having open registration leads to a huge amount of spam accounts that we have to weed through manually.

Can't you update the mod that used this bridge? I mean, I get that the most recent way of registering to the wiki was just too time consuming but I don't get why this bridge has been disabled. And is there an estimated date when it will once again be possible to join the wiki editors? And wouldn't it be easier to establish a way to register for the wiki without the forum? I guess it would be a lot of work to install this, but it would make it easier in the long run.

We didn't create the mod ourselves and have no such coding experience, so we are completely dependant on someone else updating that mod or creating a new one. Because of this, I am afraid we don't have a date for when this might be solved. We can't allow the wiki to be open to registrations entirely unconnected to the forum as that makes the risk of spam and vandalism too great.

• 1 month later...
On December 9, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Linda said:

We didn't create the mod ourselves and have no such coding experience, so we are completely dependant on someone else updating that mod or creating a new one. Because of this, I am afraid we don't have a date for when this might be solved. We can't allow the wiki to be open to registrations entirely unconnected to the forum as that makes the risk of spam and vandalism too great.

What is the name of the mod? Is it open source?

9 hours ago, Linda said:

Yes, it is, its available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipbwiki/

Thanks, Linda. I have no experience writing mods for IPS Forums, but I have written PHP web applications before, so while I can't promise anything, I wouldn't mind taking a look to see what we're up against.

So I have looked at it, and ipbwiki seems like a fairly simple program. It seems like ipbwiki worked with IPS Forums version 3, but version 4 released in 2012 was a large rewrite which broke plugins. Can you confirm that asoiaf.westeros.org is currently running an instance of version 4 of IPS Forums?

Anyway I couldn't install ipbwiki and start experimenting or hacking on it because IPS Forums is commercial software and not available except by purchasing the software suite for $175 plus a subscription service, which I do not have. Their support forums mentioned that any license holder can also run a test instance of the software for free. So I wonder whether you have that? Do you have a second instance of the forum software that is available for testing? If so, I would be willing to look into the matter further, if that's something you're interested in exploring.

It's IPS4, yes, but currently don't have a test install available. What level of access would you need to be able to test it, however? Maybe we can figure out something. And thanks for the very kind offer!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Help. I'm having issues logging in for days now. Initially I just clicked 'log in''( I saved my password on the computer) but it redirects me to the previous page as it would after I logged in. Next, I put my password and account name in and when I click log in the page does nothing. It doesn't even say incorrect password or any other error. The page acts as if I'm logged in. but i'm not. 

Can someone help, please? 

Try clearing your cache and removing any cookies related to Westeros.org. Then see if it'll work. Also, even if it says it does nothing, go back to the front page and see if it claims you're logged in then.

55 minutes ago, Ran said:

Try clearing your cache and removing any cookies related to Westeros.org. Then see if it'll work. Also, even if it says it does nothing, go back to the front page and see if it claims you're logged in then.

1. removed all cookies

2. clicked logg in. this time it took me to the page where i write in the password and account name. 

3. it apparently accepted my account/password, since i didn't get the incorrect password/account warning, but it redirected me to the previous page without letting me logg in. 

4. after this i clicked on the logg in again, but it doesn't take me to the password/account page this time, it only refreshes the page i'm on(front page). This problem goes away after i clean the cookies, but it doesn't solve the logg in problem. still doesn't let me logg in.  

1 minute ago, Ran said:

One last thing to try: sign out of the forum first, then try to sign in to the Wiki.

already tried that. same problem. i even cleared all cookies, then signed in wiki then forum and in reverse. no luck

Just now, Ran said:

Thanks. It's likely an issue with our front-end caching. We'll have to tweak some of the rules, I expect, to make it work. We'll work on it. Thanks for the reports!

YW. hope it's resolved soon. i already forgot the things i wanted to edit

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to have open registration dates? As in, the mods could choose a day (and maybe time) to open registration and post the announcement on the forum before hand, rinse and repeat every few months (or month, but that may be too much to sift through). Those who registered could reply to the thread as well, to help the sorting along. 

We could perhaps try that once and see how it goes. I am concerned that the signal to noise ratio will make sifting through the registrations difficult, but we'll see.

Archived