How to Get a Wiki Account

Linda

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, mzso said:

So. Is there any way to get a wiki account. It's annoying that I sometimes see a bit that can be added or corrected, but no way to do it.

I know it is not the same thing as having your own account, but you can always report errors that you see on the wiki thread, until you are capable of editing the wiki yourself. All help is appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I know it is not the same thing as having your own account, but you can always report errors that you see on the wiki thread, until you are capable of editing the wiki yourself. All help is appreciated.

Is there a plan for re-enabling registration for the wiki?

We'd like to, but we don't have a technical solution for it yet. We have had a person  looking at it, to see if he can solve the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could someone please update these two pages (here and here) with a disclaimer that account creation is currently unavailable? I'm sure I'm not the only one running around trying to follow different sets of instructions only to find that it's not possible to help out at this time.

Also, "Help: Registration" is miscategorized on this page, it's under the N section when it should be under the R section, could someone fix that while they're at it?

I'm going to bet Linda and Ran probably have a lot to handle, but as a query until you can somehow reopen registration without spam, would it be possible for you to personally register potential new Wiki users yourselves when you have the time for it?

It's a relatively rubbish compromise, and it requires more effort on your part than you really deserve to be lumped with, but I thought it could be a suggestion.

21 hours ago, Djembe said:

I'm going to bet Linda and Ran probably have a lot to handle, but as a query until you can somehow reopen registration without spam, would it be possible for you to personally register potential new Wiki users yourselves when you have the time for it?

It's a relatively rubbish compromise, and it requires more effort on your part than you really deserve to be lumped with, but I thought it could be a suggestion.

Well they kind of did that for a time, you know, when you had to make three posts in the forum and then they would personally create an account for these people but it just got out of hand and way too much work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 07. 05. at 1:01 PM, chris1994 said:

Well they kind of did that for a time, you know, when you had to make three posts in the forum and then they would personally create an account for these people but it just got out of hand and way too much work.

So. In practice the "solution" is that registration is disabled for good. It's been at least several months. I could have added, corrected a lot of bits and pieces in this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not. It isn't technically broken -- we used to have an add-on that allowed the wiki and the board to interface, but it was not updated to work with the new version of the board.

We did have someone who helped us create an alternative, but we've yet to get it to work. Our situation in regards to cookies is very complex.

• 1 month later...

I find this rather unpleasant and annoying.

I agree with @nquinn91 and @mzso. I have spent some decent time following useless instruction sets deprecated months ago... just for some tiny platform incompatibility. I'm a (rather green) IT engineer, I have PHP and other web technologies very fresh. I could kindly exchange my actual fury about this situation with work on a fix.

I'm sorry to tell but, this have been happening for longe than a year, I think we all cannot wait that a fix will appear automagically in the next... 6 months? 12?

It may cost me some time to study all the technology implied, but I could try to fix this or, at least, leave as much documentation as I can. That would be infinitely better than.. well, nothing.

P.S.: I, too, feel an itchy burning when I see some bit of wrong or gap of information on the wiki. That's my very fuel in this matter. You all know that reporting the fixes to the forum as we detect them is not a solution, people want to fix, edit, complete and create pages dynamically, not via papal bulls on crow wings.

• 3 months later...

I've been contributing to the ASOIAF wiki thread for a while now, pointing out both small typos and larger issues.  I would love to be able to edit directly as there are a significant number of minor grammatical issues across multiple pages that aren't worth listing in the general thread.  At this time is there still an active effort to fix the issue whereby new editors are not able to be created?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 5:26 PM, Linda said:

Unfortunately not. It isn't technically broken -- we used to have an add-on that allowed the wiki and the board to interface, but it was not updated to work with the new version of the board.

We did have someone who helped us create an alternative, but we've yet to get it to work. Our situation in regards to cookies is very complex.

Hi Linda.  Copying text directly from my last post in this thread.  I've been contributing to the ASOIAF wiki thread for a while now, pointing out both small typos and larger issues.  I would love to be able to edit directly as there are a significant number of minor grammatical issues across multiple pages that aren't worth listing in the general thread.  At this time is there still an active effort to fix the issue whereby new editors are not able to be created?

On 2/1/2017 at 3:36 AM, All-Seeing Aye said:

Hi Linda.  Copying text directly from my last post in this thread.  I've been contributing to the ASOIAF wiki thread for a while now, pointing out both small typos and larger issues.  I would love to be able to edit directly as there are a significant number of minor grammatical issues across multiple pages that aren't worth listing in the general thread.  At this time is there still an active effort to fix the issue whereby new editors are not able to be created?

I bet no, there isn't. I'm working right now with the developing of a web page for an engineering school in a public university. A rather complex but small project involving looking code up to 12 years old, databases and more databases, the work of a dozen diferent guys over these years and building a framework that can last some 5 years from now. So.. yes, working on a finished product made by 3rd people is hard, but it can be done. And in less than 2 years. And what is more, it could be done for free. Who would benefit for it? Everybody. It's what we call open collaboration.

I myself offered westeros my help, but it seems that not only anyone is working on this, but anyone is caring.

Archived