Analyzing Series' Book Titles - What do they mean?

I've been thinking recently about what to expect in The Winds of Winter (TWOW) and A Dream of Spring (ADOS) in terms of plot or events. Each of the titles of the past books were reasonably named to infer what went on within their covers.

Let's examine what we know:

A Game of Thrones: Ned becomes Hand and is caught in the middle of a political struggle for the throne after Robert's death. Cersei remarks, "when you play the game of thrones, you win or you die..."

A Clash of Kings: The War of the Five Kings begins; Joffrey, Stannis, Renly, Robb, and Balon

A Storm of Swords: More battles. The Red Wedding. The Purple Wedding. Stannis arrives at the Wall. Daenerys conquers Yunkai and Meereen.

A Feast for Crows: The war is coming to an end for the most part. The battles are fought and won, with the victors consolidating their power. The title refers to all the bodies from the battles serving as a feast for the crows. There is also textual references to the "feast for crows"

A Dance with Dragons: The major evidence here is the introduction of Aegon in direct competition to Daenerys. Hearkens back to the Dance of the Dragons between the blacks and greens.

So then what will the next two books have in store? I speculate that we'll have our Other invasion in the next book with everything concluded by the end of TWOW (Others defeated, someone on the Iron Throne, everyone free to endure the winter). The Winds of Winter is somewhat foreshadowing the Others arriving and battling it out with the armies of Westeros as winter finally has come and there is no going back. Now it's possible that this battle with the Others extends into ADOS, which is where I want to draw your attention to the specific wording of the title.

The last book is expected to be called "A Dream of Spring." This implies that spring will not come and our characters will still be in the midst of the winter recovering from the war with the Others and trying to endure the winter (which historical evidence has proven that winters last many decades). It is a "dream" of spring, to which the characters hope that spring will come eventually.

So can our climax of the series happen in book 6? I think it's a very real possibility. If past book titles can be any indication, then we can expect that the future book titles will provide some sort of foreshadowing. However, once the books are released, the titles will make perfect sense to us as readers when all we can do is speculate now.

I think a winds of winter is more symbolic.

For example winter is coming. It doesn't just mean others. It means "disaster and devastation is coming, life is going to be flipped upside down."

Winds of winter seems to be flowing from this. Everything will just turn to shit. And of course the others will obviously be planning a surprise attack

It's also reference a lot in the text how the cold winds rise when the Others come. I agree that the Others will become a major threat in TWoW, but I don't think they will be defeated until ADoS. Wouldn't they be most desperately dreaming of spring if the Others had overtaken most of Westeros?

Also, in my opinion there's too much left for TWoW that doesn't have to do with the Others (Dany consolidating her army in Essos and actually getting to Westeros, Aegon's invasion, Cersei and Margaery's trials, Battle for Winterfell) for that to be the book in which they are ultimately defeated. The threat of the Others will be extremely underwhelming if it's wrapped up that quickly.

I think a winds of winter is more symbolic.

For example winter is coming. It doesn't just mean others. It means "disaster and devastation is coming, life is going to be flipped upside down."

Winds of winter seems to be flowing from this. Everything will just turn to shit. And of course the others will obviously be planning a surprise attack

More than symbolic, I think we'll have winter finally arrive in full force in TWOW along with the Others. We've already seen some buildup in ADWD with Hardhome and such.

I actually wanted to draw more attention to ADOS. I think we can expect a book similar to AFFC with very little action. There's nothing wrong with that either as AFFC is my favorite book of the entire series.

There's no reason to believe winter will be resolved in Twow when the Dance of Dragons 2.0 wasn't resolved in ADWD.

What we know is there is an helluva lot slow paced introduction chapters in the beginning of Twow (everything released yet and likely more), then 2 huges battles that should have been in ADWD to relate.

And the famous Dance of Dragons 2.0 if it really happens. And resolution of Brienne/Jaime arc. And Dany and the Dothrakis. And Dany team in Mereen after the battle. Sam in Oldtown. Etc...

All that can easily take 3/4 of a book.

My pronostic is : the winds of winter will just be in the background for most of the book (snow everywhere etc..), the fall of the wall and Others invasion only happening in last quarter.

ADOS will be the book where the protagonists face the Others dreaming about the return of spring (which doesn't have to happen as it's just a dream).

Also final resolution will happen in book 8.

Archived