The Slog of Slogs: Help save The Unholy Consult by R. Scott Bakker!

Bolivar

Cheers man. Well, I'll treat it as hearsay then. Most likely Kal was simply being his usual contrary self :unsure:

I feel like the author's recommendation to contact Orbit remains the best idea in that case.

Its in Wert's post. Overlook responsible for editing so Orbit can't do anything until Overlook sends them the final manuscript. So contacting Overlook is the more productive route. See also the reports of people calling Overlook where Overlook admits basically that they are the hold up and haven't assigned Scott an editor.

Cheers man. Well, I'll treat it as hearsay then. Most likely Kal was simply being his usual contrary self :unsure:

I feel like the author's recommendation to contact Orbit remains the best idea in that case.

it was literally what wert said. I just, ya know, read it.

It's also a standard practice in the industry.

And I was just asking for more information. You guys are generally better informed about such things and I don't follow the Bakker threads very closely.

Wert's post is an inference from something Bakker said on his blog, but Bakker also said he doesn't talk directly to his publishers - so yeah, it's hearsay. So Orbit don't have their own editors or any interest in publishing unless Overlook tells them to? Idk... :dunno:

The further inference that contacting Orbit is pointless doesn't necessarily follow from my perspective (and is pretty contrary to the point of the thread). Doesn't mean you're wrong though. ;)

They can't edit it themselves cause they don't have the legal right to. They just print the book for the UK market. Like how they print some Tor UK books for the U.S.

Really? Do you have a further source?

Hearsay spreader!

Oh ho ho. I should just believe everything I read on the internet, so long as it reinforces my preconceptions. :bang:

Dude, it's how things are done in the publishing industry. Thus isn't like, rumors about the new Trek film. It's how Bakker's been publishing his books from day one.

I'm certainly interested if anyone has more concrete info about the publishing rights.

Hail Satan!

I pretty much cannot resist a good "Hail Satan" if someone else starts it. Perhaps the irreverence of the thing is just too appealing.

I am ass-ignorant on publishing stuff so have jack-all to contribute here, but I hope the Hippocratic Oath applies: First, do no harm. If any of y'all cause additional delays for The Precious, I cannot guarantee your safety.

Also thought this is relevant:

Foreign publication rights give the publisher the right to license your book to foreign publishers (foreign being defined by the Territory in the agreement). Translation rights give the publisher the right to have the book translated into other languages. Should you give these rights to the publisher? Some publishers do aggressively pitch their books to foreign publishers, so they may be in a position to make more sales than you or your agent could. In that case, its not bad to split the moneythey do the work, and you just collect extra checks. If you dont have an agent, though, you have to do the legwork and contact foreign agents or foreign publishers yourself.

From here:

http://publishlawyer.com/publishing-faq/#Q_I_turned_in_my_books_manuscript_on_time_three_months_ago_but_my_editor_still_hasnt_accepted_it_What_are_my_rights_And_can_my_publisher_make_changes_without_my_approval

Basically here's the deal. Overlook has the us publishing rights and is the primary publisher. We know this because of an interview Bakker gave, where his book was picked up first in the us. Orbit got the rights to publish in the uk, as overlook doesn't do that (and Bakker retained them). They still cannot publish before overlook has accepted the manuscript, as that is what the contract dictates. They likely have no editorial rights at all; they simply have the rights to publish in another territory.

And it sounds like overlook is a pretty horrible publishing house.

Thank you, Kal. That's what I was looking for.

Funny that Canada seems to be a part of the US in this arrangement, with Penguin publishing my Canadian imprint of WLW.

Makes some kind of sense as Overlook seems to have close ties with Penguin - according to wikipedia, Mayer was CEO there for 20 years after starting Overlook.

Archived