The Slog of Slogs: Help save The Unholy Consult by R. Scott Bakker!

Bolivar

Some agents don't like it if the author goes around them to get something done that the agent should be doing themselves. I think agents aren't keen if you start doing anything that would make you ask, "What's this guy for anyway?"

When I've done similar things with my agent, he's generally fine with it as long as he's kept in the loop.

Bakker said we got through but he also got in trouble with his agent for it. It might be best to sit tight and wait for the update, then think about next steps, if any are necessary.

An agent who doesn't want his author to get his book published?

I think I can see where Bakker might have been going wrong all these years.....

I thought it would make an agent happy that his client has enough fans dedicated to his series to actually take the time to write a letter to the publisher.

not if he's in the middle of negotiations and things are already dicey. It looks like off message meddling, even if it is well intentioned.

Don't wanna knock anyone for their job performance but it's telling that the first reply in this thread was shock at how this series has not gotten it's due.

thats not typically the agents job, though. Their job is to negotiate contracts and deals. It is not to be the publicist for an author.

In the business you get ahead by having superior product and being able to make friends and get others to talk about you. Some times you'll have something so compelling that you don't need it - but the things that are like that are usually things like 50 shades of gray.

The person most responsible for publicity and getting the word out is Bakker unless he chooses to hire someone to do that job for him. And Bakker has been incredibly bad at publicity, to the point where his agent and publisher both have told him to knock it off.

I imagine that this is the case. I really just can't wrap my head around the fact that Overlook can't respond to our general inquiry.

You persist in not understanding business and its timeframes, worry at the end of august not before. It will probably take that long for the poor soul to read the previous five volumes and go through the editorial history of them. editing will probably start in September at the earliest. Until the final manuscript is set and can be sent to orbit and printers, they probably won't say anything.

Kids these days and their social media skewed perspectives of instantaneous interaction, it's like wile e. Coyote tapping his foot complaining of acme shipping speeds being more than five seconds.

That is unacceptable.

[Spoiler] jk [/spoiler]

You persist in not understanding business and its timeframes, worry at the end of august not before. It will probably take that long for the poor soul to read the previous five volumes and go through the editorial history of them. editing will probably start in September at the earliest. Until the final manuscript is set and can be sent to orbit and printers, they probably won't say anything.

Kids these days and their social media skewed perspectives of instantaneous interaction, it's like wile e. Coyote tapping his foot complaining of acme shipping speeds being more than five seconds.

This whole episode started with complete silence on Overlook's part. He's not asking for a publication date, only some clarity on whether the series still exists for them or not.

One I'm not a kid. Two, I see it as bad business management. If I ran a business, regardless of what I was selling, and consumers was asking me about my product, I wouldn't stay mum about the case at hand. Not, saying that they need to give a lengthy description as to what the problem is. They've never answered my email and as I said before it would take 20 seconds and ZERO dollars to even acknowledge all the tweets to their Twiier account. If that's how business is done nowadays, then I thank god that's not what pays my bills. Have you ever heard the saying, "The consumer is always right."? Well, Overlook is just plain ignoring their consumers. I could give two shits what the calendar holds for them. RESPOND TO THE CONSUMER!!!! Its simple.

time to escalate, then. find the pertinent residential address and addle their dreams with cants of calling. after that, we might construct a no-publisher to make all other manuscripts stillborn. that'll learn 'em.

you're on fire in this thread

:bowdown:

hey hey!  just thought of it--i'm mrganondorf over at second-apocalypse.com.  i run the bakkefans social media, but the passwords are shared with other users at tsa.  if you want to help with the social media, pm me here or over there at second-apocalypse.com!

Kids these days with the not understanding humorous crotchety asides! Feh!

#DontMakeMeGoCnauirOnYou!

Eta:its just that I don't even use social media, especially Twitter. Hell that was like my 3rd tweet, the other two where drunk tweets when I first got the acct. I was like cooool Dwayne Wade will talk to me?

Yes, I'm not asking for a publishing date set in stone. I just don't understand why they can't relaeasee a statement. It be different it if this was a new series or something. Its the 6th book and final of a trilogy, its like they could at least acknowledge their customers. Or, if this is how the publishing business is ran, as so many of you seem to have 1st hand knowledge, its a shity, shitty industry.

I think this thread has just about reached its endpoint. Keep the Bakker madness contained to the regular threads discussing his work. It's not as if they aren't active.

Archived