What is the given name belonging to bastards born in Dorne?

Thanks for that. Assuming R+L=J is correct, then would it be Jon Sand?

I don't know if it is 100% certain that where you are born matters, or if it where your parents are from or where you are raised. i don't think there are hard rules around it.

He could either be Jon Sand, Jon Waters (if he was taken to King's Landing), or the conventional Jon Snow. Interesting to think how his life could've been in the other two regions. Would he be legitimized? Who knows.

Maybe he could get a cool nickname like the sand snakes.

I wonder why bastards are named after the region they are born in, and not the region their parents are from.

Suddenly I'm curious about this system of naming all bastards after their region of origin. Does it have any precedence in human history at all or is it purely from GRRM's mind?

For most of medieval French and English history, most highborn people had geographical names based on where they were born, not house names1. And even in other parts of Europe, where there were better ways to disambiguate people (like patronymics), they still relied on geographic names when necessary, especially for foreigners. Most of them were more direct than cutesy--Winchester or d'Anjou or Kiev--but there were some people named d'Isle from Paris, or Ice from the Orkneys, which aren't too far from Rivers or Snow.

But they weren't special names for bastards; bastards got geographical names only because everyone did.

EDIT: fixing f-ing footnote formatting

1 In the 15th century, everyone started naming the great house, and retroactively applying them as last names, so records stop talking about, e.g., Edward Caernarfon or Edward of Wales and start talking about Edward Plantagenet the Younger. But it's the same guy.

I don't know if it is 100% certain that where you are born matters, or if it where your parents are from or where you are raised. i don't think there are hard rules around it.

It's more where you live. Robert was parent to Mya Stone and Edric Storm for example. If it was the father they'd all be Storms across the board.

Archived