Dogs

Quorra

Does anyone here go the homemade dog food route?  When my dog was a pup, he had a lot of gastro issues and spent nearly six months with chronic diarrhea.  Took forever to find a food that worked,

Don't know if this will help, but my big malamute head had a huge difficulty with food - just last Xmas we spent a small fortune to finally diagnose him with helacobacter, etc.  We just changed his dog food to Natural Balance, (recommended by our vet) and he's been amazing on it!  It's got very few, good ingredients in it.

I'm thinking about getting a cute little dog, the kind I can hold in one hand, and put in my purse, and in my pic-a-nic basket, and most importantly in the basket on the front of my bicycle, wearing a little dog helmet. Does anyone have a small toy-sized dog? What breed do you have? What's it like? 

No one said they were eating salads, ffs.  They are no pure carnivores.  They eat fruits and berries in the wild.  

I have seen three different licensed veterinarians (not the holistic sort) and all three have been opposed to all-meat diets (note, i didn't say raw, i'm saying all meat).  I've never seen food being sold at the vets, other than prescription food that is usually intended for the very short term or if the pet has significant health problems that require a specialized diet.  In addition, I can read so obviously I've read up on my own, even those books and articles by those groups who advocate for raw meat diets and it's just impossible to take them seriously when they start on about how dogs can't process non-meat foods.

I recognize that reputable, licensed vets should be the ones to determine what will work for any given dog.  For example, mine determined that the benefits of a lower quality kibble outweighed the negatives for my particular dog when this was the only kibble that caused him not to leak watery shit from his ass all day.  If your vet decided this diet was appropriate for your pup and his needs, great.  If your vet is claiming dogs are pure carnivores and only eat non-meat items if they are starving, I'd have serious concerns.

Thanks for the info, though.  I'm not sure I can maintain health standards required to go the raw route.  

It was a joke, hence the 'lol' after.  Like I said, it was just a suggestion and if you can't do it for personal reasons, that's fine, but dogs digestive tracts, from the teeth on is optimized for meat (and bone).  That's just a fact.  Nobody is claiming that they can't process non-meat, just that they are optimized for meat and will thrive on a meat only diet.  There is plenty of scientific evidence that supports this and I've personally seen it in my dogs.  Again, it was just a suggestion if you're looking for a diet change.  As you've already done your research since 'you can read', feel free to ignore the suggestion.  No worries :)

Wheaten Scottie bitch. She's a blast. Loves getting showers which is great because she also loves rolling in shit.

She's my second of this breed/sex/color. Lost the first about 20 months ago. That was rough. We lost her brindle bro about 10 months later. I had 9 great years with the pair. Only way I could deal was with another BFF. I've known people who just can't bring themselves to go through those last moments again, but there's a reason it hurts that much: dogs are the best.

Those 2 did as they pleased, which is ok. Although they tore some stuff up;I never bothered much with commands because I had heard they don't take commands well.

Anyway, I'm pretty proud I've gotten Maggie to sit, lay down, speak and roll. No food required. Just her toys. "Where is it" and she goes and picks one out and we work on some commands while playing fetch. She chewed up one old shoe but that's it. Just a terrifically well behaved puppy.

Other than that she enjoys watching DogTV and staring obsessively at the basement door because she spotted a mouse once. Great ratter instincts. Goes to ground at every hole in the yard.

We have a French bulldog, Maximus Decimus Meridius Bunting, and a rat terrior/jack russel mutt named Sassy.

Max is a true bullydog, thinks he is a badass but get chased home by a little Chihuahua. Full of personality and loves to sleep in in the mornings.

Sassy is a true conniving B word. She is sneaky and smart and will lull you into a sense of safety before biting you an hour later for no reason whatsoever.

We have a douge de bordeaux, just over a year old.  Our first dog.  We weren't looking for a dog, didn't want a dog, our lifestyle wasn't made for a dog.

But she was born to my neighbor's dogues, she was the runt and no one wanted her, and after he had us "babysit" her every couple of days, somehow she moved in.

So change our lifestyle, it feels like we have young children again, she has some semi-serious medical issues, chronic ear infections, some pretty bad allergies and was diagnosed with juvenile epilepsy.

But she is the sweetest animal I've ever met, and we wouldn't change a thing.

Did I ever tell you guys that I never wanted to have a male dog? Any past interactions I've ever had with male dogs have involved my legs getting ridden, crotch-sniffing, having to look at red peenies sticking out, and lots of other icky things.

My doggie Benny is the exact opposite of all these things. He's the nicest, best dog in the world. He's never ridden a leg in his life, and as for a red peeny, you wouldn't even know he had one. And crotch-sniffing is beneath his dignity unless you're so rancid that he can't handle it anymore and has to see what the hell's going on up in there.

Just wanted that to be known for the record.

Did I ever tell you guys that I never wanted to have a male dog? Any past interactions I've ever had with male dogs have involved my legs getting ridden, crotch-sniffing, having to look at red peenies sticking out, and lots of other icky things.

My doggie Benny is the exact opposite of all these things. He's the nicest, best dog in the world. He's never ridden a leg in his life, and as for a red peeny, you wouldn't even know he had one. And crotch-sniffing is beneath his dignity unless you're so rancid that he can't handle it anymore and has to see what the hell's going on up in there.

Just wanted that to be known for the record.

lol, that is one hilarious post :)

Sounds like Benny is a Gent

Did I ever tell you guys that I never wanted to have a male dog? Any past interactions I've ever had with male dogs have involved my legs getting ridden, crotch-sniffing, having to look at red peenies sticking out, and lots of other icky things.My doggie Benny is the exact opposite of all these things. He's the nicest, best dog in the world. He's never ridden a leg in his life, and as for a red peeny, you wouldn't even know he had one. And crotch-sniffing is beneath his dignity unless you're so rancid that he can't handle it anymore and has to see what the hell's going on up in there.Just wanted that to be known for the record.

:lol: brilliant

My Cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel/Poodle cross) is mostly quite shy, but we had him out the other week and he tried to hump a huge Great Dane. For reference, this is him http://i.imgur.com/OYCNwDD.jpg If I hadn't been so embarrassed it would have been a rather comical sight due to the massive size difference.

But mostly he's very well behaved

Did I ever tell you guys that I never wanted to have a male dog? Any past interactions I've ever had with male dogs have involved my legs getting ridden, crotch-sniffing, having to look at red peenies sticking out, and lots of other icky things.My doggie Benny is the exact opposite of all these things. He's the nicest, best dog in the world. He's never ridden a leg in his life, and as for a red peeny, you wouldn't even know he had one. And crotch-sniffing is beneath his dignity unless you're so rancid that he can't handle it anymore and has to see what the hell's going on up in there.Just wanted that to be known for the record.

My female cat used to be human boy crazy for periods of time, then go back to pretending to be a dog. Man, I miss her.

Does anyone have divergent feelings about dogs based on breeds?  I mean, does anyone find that they fiercely love certain breeds of dogs and absolutely loathe other breeds?   Or do those who identify as "dog people" love all dogs regardless of breed?

Does anyone have divergent feelings about dogs based on breeds?  I mean, does anyone find that they fiercely love certain breeds of dogs and absolutely loathe other breeds?   Or do those who identify as "dog people" love all dogs regardless of breed?

I wouldn't say there are any particular dog breeds I hate. I have a preference for small dogs (though not tiny like Chiuauas) over large dogs, and I'm always a bit cautious of dogs which have a reputation for being vicious, but otherwise I'm pretty okay with all dogs

:lol: brilliant

My Cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel/Poodle cross) is mostly quite shy, but we had him out the other week and he tried to hump a huge Great Dane. For reference, this is him http://i.imgur.com/OYCNwDD.jpg If I hadn't been so embarrassed it would have been a rather comical sight due to the massive size difference.

But mostly he's very well behaved

He's very beautiful! That must have been quite a sight, with him trying to hump a Great Dane. The Great Dane must have been mightily amused.

lol, that is one hilarious post :)

Sounds like Benny is a Gent

We've always referred to him as "The Gentleman Hound."

My female cat used to be human boy crazy for periods of time, then go back to pretending to be a dog. Man, I miss her.

I've often noticed how female cats often really cozy up to human males. They're really quite the little tramps. Although, my gorgeous, long-haired Somalian breed kitteh was a man-whore for women, so I guess it goes both ways.

I pretty much love all dogs, large or small, mixed breed or pure bred. It broke my heart to see all the pit bulls at the animal control place I got my mom's tiny terrier from. You just know that none of these guys has any hope of adoption, yet they needed love just as much as, say, a smaller, cuter breed. And to know that humans made them so aggressive... well, it's enough to drive me nuts.

I love em all, from my experience the "no bad dogs only bad owners" pretty much rings true

I don't necessarily prefer certain breeds over others. I do prefer dogs with certain qualities and characteristics though: good with children and strangers, not necessarily exuberantly friendly with everyone; generally good with dogs and other animals; water dogs since I'm a mile from the water.

I definitely have my absolute favorite breed (Keeshond) 

This is my favorite breed too. I'm extremely partial to all arctic and spitz varieties. 

I pretty much love all dogs, large or small, mixed breed or pure bred. It broke my heart to see all the pit bulls at the animal control place I got my mom's tiny terrier from. You just know that none of these guys has any hope of adoption, yet they needed love just as much as, say, a smaller, cuter breed. And to know that humans made them so aggressive... well, it's enough to drive me nuts.

Pit bulls and pit mixes are amongst my very favorite breeds, oddly enough.   I've never met a pit I didn't like, and they have such delightful jokester personalities.   They're always getting put up for adoption by the shelters in my area (and walking around with little "Adopt Me" vests for the lucky ones currently residing with foster families), and I get really emotional.  I wish the terrible public image of them would change, because I think they make much better pets (in terms of loyalty, trainability and obedience, personality, intelligence) than so many of the designer breeds that are much more popular (I'm super biased, admittedly--- we had rescue pits growing up).

Thanks for all the perspective on the question about loving dogs by breed.   I fall into the camp of really loving certain breeds, but also really kind of hating a few others (based on personality and behaviors, largely).   I guess I'd always thought of myself as a dog person, but it's become a lot harder for me to pretend that I don't dislike certain dogs, and it makes me feel bad, to be honest.   I'm neutral to favorable to most breeds; just that I feel strongly negative about a handful, and end up feeling really guilty about it (especially in the context where close friends and relatives of mine happen to own a few examples from my blacklisted breeds).

Yeah I can kinda relate to that. There are breeds I tell myself I absolutely can not stand and would never want to have -- generally based on some unfair aesthetic judgement or prejudice against a 'typical owner' type person.... But when someone comes into work with say, three King Charles Spaniels or the like, goddamn if I don't devolve into a gooey fawning goober, babbling baby talk and basking in any attention I get.
As long as he or she isn't a total asshole (and I will forgive quite a lot from most non-humans), I pretty much love any individual dog

But fuck it if mutts aren't the way to go anyway

Archived