Dogs

Quorra

I love dogs and I know that puppies cry when they are lonely.  However, the upstairs beagle is no longer a puppy and he starts howling the minute the neighbor leaves until she returns.

Thankfully, I go to days soon so I won't have to try and sleep through it.

When Winter was a puppy she liked bringing slugs into the house to play with them, she wouldn't kill them, but leave them on the carpet after she was done for me to step on.

Ewwwwww.

This alone is enough of an argument for me to never get a dog (I like dogs a lot. But I just absolutely hate slugs.).

Ewwwwww.

This alone is enough of an argument for me to never get a dog (I like dogs a lot. But I just absolutely hate slugs.).

It got to a point where I had to check her whenever we came inside. If she was panting it was ok, but if her mouth was shut I knew she was hiding something. I'd have to pry open her mouth and still I wouldn't see anything until I checked under her tongue, and ayup, there it was, a smuggled slug.

ETA:

By 1, 1 1/2 she grew out of it though.

:ack:

My cousin's dog once managed to get a piece of bone stuck between her teeth so that she could not close nor open the mouth properly. It obviously hurt and annoyed her and she whined about it. I did not have a problem removing that with my hand from out of her mouth, dirty and stinky as it was. But when it comes to slugs or snails, I panic. Luckily she never seemed to show any interest in those.

It never bothered me to take them out of her mouth before coming inside. Stepping on them on the carpet though grossed me out.

It's funny, when we go out now I never bother with the leash for her, she just sticks around. However when I'm ready to come inside she still wants to poke around in the bushes and stuff. I threaten to give her cookie to my other dog and that always works to make her come in.

We have these rawhide chips that she LOVES and feels that they should only go to her. If I ever give one to my other dog she growls and attacks him making him drop it and run away. We have these other snacks that she's indifferent to and the other dog really likes so there's no fuss when we give him those. So we end up with her snacks and his snacks.

What nick names do you have for your dogs (or any pets?) I'm always nicknaming my dogs -

Winter:

Winnie, Winnie Cooper, Winifred, Winnifer, Gwinndolyn, Gwinnifer, Winterfell, Winter of Contentment, Winter Weather Girl, Winnie Woozle, Winnie The Pooh, Winnie the Poozer, Winnie the Pooch, Baby Face, Angel Face, Angel Eyes, Wonder Girl, Baby Girl, Little Girl, Little Angel Girl, Sweetheart, Bubba Girl, Honey Bunny.

Sarge:

Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Major Sergeant, Sargento, Sargey Pooh, Baby Boy, Little Guy, Special Little Guy, Sweet Little Boy, Buddy Boy, Bubba Boy, Spud, Putz.

We call him Obi but his full name is Brasshead Obe One Kanobi (one cus he was a one-pup litter)

sometimes Tom calls him Dopey, and I've been known to refer to him as "the tripping hazard". If he's taking his time when you call him he gets "Obi-dobey dog"

Mine is named Rachel Marianna Morgan, but most people will call her Rachel Ray.

I will also call her Fur Face, Floppy Face, Baby.

Poor little thing is hurting right now though.  One of her toenails on her front foot snagged on something and ripped off.  She is limping a bit, but it is healing.  I just wish I could help her. :(

• 3 months later...

Just off to collect Talisker (8 weeks) from Ipswich - about 4 hours each way to collect a puppy!

It'd the return journey I worry about (M25)

Eek! What kind of pup is he? :) 

We picked little Charlie up at just over 8 weeks too, though we were lucky enough to get him fairly locally (was about a 30/40 minute drive) from a lovely couple who ask for a picture each christmas and keep in touch regularly. When i was only young though, my parents apparently drove 5/6 hours to a breeder in Scotland to pick up their German short-haired pointer puppy. He was gorgeous :wub: 

I'm a total dog nut. We have three mixed breed dogs: two were adopted from the shelter and the third showed up as a stray. 

Molly - she's the alpha. I think she might have some Basenji in her. She has pointy ears and a corkscrew tail. She's too smart for her own good but she's getting cranky in her old age.

Luka - my big baby boy. He's a Belgian Malinois-American Eskimo mix. He's very gentle, but a little shy and skittish. 

Bagel - our newest addition. She looks like a Beagle-Dachsund mix and she's a snuggle bunny. Today she ran her first race - a 5K Turkey Trot - with me. She did great! 

12278960_10153269192432423_8022364410952

In the car yesterday; she outright refused the dog cage. 1 little puke, 0 puddles and 0 poo.s en route - absolutely bursting when we got home though.

She's Leonberger mum and Bernese dad. Little bit lost last night, but mostly ok today; Guinness (Newfie X GSH Pointer) doesn't know quite what to do with her, especially when she asks for milk!; also not fond of being batted in the face. Cats are... very wary, but still willing to come through the room she's in, but needing a lot of reassurance - well, all 4 of them are needing a lot of that.

Tal had her first Bath this morning, to get her used to the idea; but I couldn't find the old grooming stuff (Guinness hates being groomed, and doesn't need it, so it's probably been thrown away). Anyone got any tips / must-haves etc for grooming a double coated dog?

Vets tomorrow morning for microchip and 1st Parvo; just weighed her myself, and I reckon about 8kg!

Play date with next door's children lined up for Sunday, whilst I'm away looking after mum, so I'll miss it :(

My Aunt (and uncle before he passed away) have had 2 Pembroke Corgi's over the last 20 years. They love them, I'm always happy to dogsit for her. They are these roly poly bundles of love.

Smart and trained very well. Love activity, games, rides, and walks, but when everyone is settled they have no problem being calm. Wild as a puppy like most dogs and when they mature they get more reserved but still have a playful streak.

That's my experience with them at least, and it's all positive.

Archived