Dogs

Quorra

My family has had a Shih Tzu for about 10 years now and I love him to death - always has your back and doesn't have a Napoleon Complex like a lot of other smaller breeds seem to.

Personally though I've always loved Basset Hounds. I'd love to get one when I live out on my own though I do understand they have a lot of health problems (?)

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the dog pics and stories people!!! :wub:

Does anyone notice with their dogs a "corn chip" smell, particularly around the feet? All my Keeshonden never had this, but when I got a Pomeranian it was something I noticed about him. I thought it was something unique about him until I got a second Pom and he had it too!

I did some research and learned it's actually kind of common. It's a smell doggy attracted bacteria can give off, basically B.O. or foot odor. It's supposedly harmless unless it becomes super strong, then should be checked out, and since it's not a bad smell, but rather pleasant to me actually, I kind of like it. I guess I'm weird.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:02 AM, drawkcabi said:

Does anyone notice with their dogs a "corn chip" smell, particularly around the feet? All my Keeshonden never had this, but when I got a Pomeranian it was something I noticed about him. I thought it was something unique about him until I got a second Pom and he had it too!

I did some research and learned it's actually kind of common. It's a smell doggy attracted bacteria can give off, basically B.O. or foot odor. It's supposedly harmless unless it becomes super strong, then should be checked out, and since it's not a bad smell, but rather pleasant to me actually, I kind of like it. I guess I'm weird.

Do your Poms chew at their feet as if they itch?  I've read (and experienced it with Benny) that this can also be a sign of yeasty paws.  Benny's got so bad last year that they were cracked and painful - so painful that he could barely walk on them.  I believe it was due to an imbalance in his body chemistry that allowed the yeast to get out of control- either that or a weakened immune system.   

If your dogs don't seem to have a problem with it, great, but watch them as they get older.  I feel really bad that I didn't catch Benny's issue sooner. 

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Do your Poms chew at their feet as if they itch?  I've read (and experienced it with Benny) that this can also be a sign of yeasty paws.  Benny's got so bad last year that they were cracked and painful - so painful that he could barely walk on them.  I believe it was due to an imbalance in his body chemistry that allowed the yeast to get out of control- either that or a weakened immune system.   

If your dogs don't seem to have a problem with it, great, but watch them as they get older.  I feel really bad that I didn't catch Benny's issue sooner. 

Thanks for the warning. So sorry Benny had to go through that.

The smell is only noticeable close up and still pretty mild. My pom doesn't chew his paws but he licks them sometimes. Funny though because my Kees always licks her feet and bites her nails but there's no smell with her.

Now my pom is having a problem with cracked and dry nose. I'm pretty sure it's his blood pressure medicine. When we switched up his meds last year it healed nice, but now his meds have been increased and it's starting to get dry and cracked again, maybe the time of year has something to do with it too, I think he's got allergies too.

Guinness has just now - for the first time - used Talisker as a pillow

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10271599_10153485564537423_8589327514182322184_n.jpg?oh=c91b0a831d5e90558ecc4372ce1c319a&oe=581A7D7D

I think it might be a mild form of revenge for this sort of behaviour, which has been rather common for the last 4 months

https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/12565583_10153354639307423_6038452148597131406_n.jpg?oh=527867cb17eecabab02f215659b0247c&oe=585053F3

Oh, as for sizes (I laugh at your Pom.s) Guinness if a 44kg (97 lb) Newfie cross; Tal is about a week shy of 6 months, and must be around 30kg (66lb) now.

Both still think they're lap-dogs; whilst Tal shares Ali's target weight - and is likely to win that race too (and for the love of dog, don't tell her I said that!).

ETA: Dammit - I know I USED to be able to embed the pictures - I'm sure I have on this thread!

I need to take new pics of my doggies. Right now they really need to get groomed though and my Pom needs his warm weather buzz cut!

I like medium sized dogs best but big dogs are nice. However policy where I live is dogs can't be over 30lbs. I'm all ready pushing it with an overweight Keeshond that should be around 35lbs but is actually close to 55lbs.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ok

???

4 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I need to take new pics of my doggies. Right now they really need to get groomed though and my Pom needs his warm weather buzz cut!

I like medium sized dogs best but big dogs are nice. However policy where I live is dogs can't be over 30lbs. I'm all ready pushing it with an overweight Keeshond that should be around 35lbs but is actually close to 55lbs.

My dogs abt medium sized. I just love all dogs though. 

Here he is, my handsome boy 

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

My dogs abt medium sized. I just love all dogs though. 

Here he is, my handsome boy 

He's gorgeous :wub:

I need to take a pic of my Keeshond when she has her front legs crossed. She's always doing it and it always makes her look like such a proper lady.

She's camera shy too though so it's hard getting a good pic.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ok, how does one upload a picture here because it will not accept it via copy and paste?

Upload it to imgur and paste the link either in {option}[/IMG] format or just the direct link.

On 3/24/2016 at 9:02 PM, drawkcabi said:

This is not weird, as a dog groomer I can tell you that MANY dog's paws smell like popcorn. No idea why but there ya go, it's not just you.

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

He's gorgeous :wub:

I need to take a pic of my Keeshond when she has her front legs crossed. She's always doing it and it always makes her look like such a proper lady.

She's camera shy too though so it's hard getting a good pic.

This was taken last year when he was 12. Getting on a bit, but he's still a handsome dog. He's quite camera shy actually, I have loads of pcitures of him from sheer resilience on my part (I never stick a camera in his face or like make him stay still or anything) I just have so many of his bac and his side and not a huge amount of nice ones of his face onwards because he seems to not like the camera very much at all as he always turns his head away lol. 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

This was taken last year when he was 12. Getting on a bit, but he's still a handsome dog. He's quite camera shy actually, I have loads of pcitures of him from sheer resilience on my part (I never stick a camera in his face or like make him stay still or anything) I just have so many of his bac and his side and not a huge amount of nice ones of his face onwards because he seems to not like the camera very much at all as he always turns his head away lol. 

He's gorgeous! I'm more into smaller dogs myself but I do still appreciate larger breeds too.

Dont have any recent pictures of our spaniel pup (who has grown tremendously over the course of 4 months) but I'll be home next week and will get some pictures then. He's recently started training classes, which have been going well so far I hear. He pulls quite a lot when he's out for walks still, but he's slowly improving. His colour is also still utterly gorgeous in every way (he's blue roan)

Archived