Dogs

Quorra

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Congratulations!!!

My puppy was born on October 8th!!! 

I made doubly and then triply sure this was a responsible breeder. This will be a healthy dog from happy healthy parents that are treated like well loved pets by their owners.

Some time around December 8th I will get to take her home.

The best Christmas present I could ever ask for!

One of their past litters:

Oh man. So much fluff! 

• 2 weeks later...

My dog Sarge has been having petit mal seizures all weekend. I'm calling the vet tomorrow. I kind of suspected this was going on for a while with the spaced out look he's been getting then snapping out of it. But over the last few days things have got a lot more pronounced. Last night he was walking and he fell on his side, it looked like an invisible someone kicked him over. His back leg gives out on him and shakes and his head shakes very noticeably for a few seconds.

I've had a dog with epilepsy who had gran mal seuzures so I know what those look like and Sarge is definitely not having those. He always snaps out in a few seconds and never really goes completely out of it.

They'll probably want to retest him for Cushing's Disease. His liver enzymes have been pretty high. So yeah, calling the vet tomorrow and taking him in ASAP.

2 hours ago, OnceABolton said:

I like the idea of getting a husky/german shepherd mix. The eyes of a husky are so gorgeous and I love the loyalty of a GS (not that huskies are disloyal). I've seen a few dogs with this mix and I love them straight away!

I love both breeds a mix would probably be wonderful. Huskies are the most vocal dog breed ever in an endearing way not a yapping way. So be prepared you may get a talker/whiner/howler.

4 hours ago, OnceABolton said:

I like the idea of getting a husky/german shepherd mix. The eyes of a husky are so gorgeous and I love the loyalty of a GS (not that huskies are disloyal). I've seen a few dogs with this mix and I love them straight away!

Those dogs are a lot of work, they are high energy and need good training.  

My dog is definitely going blind in one eye.  Appt set for Friday to have her checked out, but it looks like the first steps into old age for her.  She's a 10 yr old Rott mix, so it's about that time for things to start to go south.

On 11/8/2017 at 6:27 AM, drawkcabi said:

I love both breeds a mix would probably be wonderful. Huskies are the most vocal dog breed ever in an endearing way not a yapping way. So be prepared you may get a talker/whiner/howler.

I have a border collie that's very vocal, much more vocal than the dogs I grew up with as a kid.  My border collie has several distinctive types of barks.  There's one type of barking when he sees the mailman or delivery man.  There's another type, more high pitched, when I'm preparing big hunks of meat, like a whole tri tip, brisket, or rack of ribs.  I think he's trying to remind me to give him some too.  There's another type when he sees something strange (in his opinion) or unexpected in the house, like the first time he saw a teapot and the kitchen garbage can that automatically opens.  There's another type when he sees something he doesn't like, like foil (i think it's the crinkly noise), cameras (the noise from the motor that adjusts the lens focus), medium to large plastic bags, and people with their feet off the ground (riding a horse but walking a horse is fine, riding a bike or skateboard, using a ladder, etc.).  I've trained him to stop barking at certain things, like bicyclists, but man, all sorts of strange things make him bark. 

I've tried to make him howl, but when I do a howl, he'll just head to the front door and bark in response.  I think he thinks that I must have heard a bad guy near the house, so that's why I'm howling.  He goes into alert mode.

He'll also whine a little for food, and to try and wake me up in the mornings, but it's usually very short.  If I ignore him and pretend to be asleep, he'll either give up, or escalate things by jumping onto the bed.

• 1 month later...

So my boxer (the one in my profile pic) was diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this week.  Took him to an oncologist and he's been given one to two months to live with treatment.  This came as a huge shock, as I didn't even know he was sick until a week ago.  He basically went from totally fine to on death's door in the span of a couple of days.  He's apparently got a massive tumor in his bladder, and the cancer has spread to his lungs as well.  The main issue is that the one in his bladder started blocking his urethra, making him unable to urinate.  He's spent the past few days in an animal hospital with a catheter in.  

It's just been really devastating because it came on so fast.  I've had this dog for ten years and basically seen him every day in that span, minus maybe four or five months total.  He starts his chemo tomorrow, and the oncologist was optimistic that he'd have a decent quality of life for at least a month or two, which was important to me.  I didn't want to just keep him alive for my benefit, although I think I probably would have done that for at least two or three weeks just so I would have some time to say goodbye.  The timeline is the worst part.  If they had given me six months to a year, I could accept that, but one to two months?  How do you come to terms with that when you didn't even know the dog was sick eight days ago?  

On the plus side, they think I can bring him home on Saturday, which would be great because it's been really weird being here without him.  I have another dog (German Shepherd), but the boxer is usually the one that sleeps curled up next to me (even when the girlfriend is here, he usually just wedges himself between us at night), whereas the shepherd is usually at the foot of the bed or off in the other room.

Strangely, I've been taking my mind off of this whole ordeal by looking at puppies.  I do plan to get another once Loki passes, and my parents have already told me they're going to pay for it.  Unnecessary, but appreciated.  At any rate, I've been doing anything possible to not think about the inevitable.  Finding out I could have another month or two has helped.  I broke down a couple of nights ago when I wasn't sure if I would even get that much time, but now I'm at least optimistic I'll have time to give him a proper goodbye.  I'd love to be able to give him a last meal...I want to cook that motherfucker the best steak I can buy the night before I inevitably have to say goodbye for good, and I'm hopeful that I get to do that.

@briantw

Very sorry to hear it. Lost our previous Boxer to cancer as well. It's never easy. When you get a dog, in your head you don't really think about the end, and if you do, you like to imagine a peaceful passing away in their sleep rather than making the hard decision. But the joy of having a companion for a time is, if all's well, a mutual one. You and Loki have lived a life well-lived together.

Haven't read this thread.  As a clarification I love dogs, all dogs.  As a kid we eventually convinced my dad to to get a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.  Her name was Penny.  Now my parents have two little Havanese shitters that I love.  Anyway, good friend of mine kept a rescue pitbull named Roxy.  His mom literally took her off the streets of Detroit.  She was probably the most loving sentient being I have ever encountered, and I looked forward to every time me and my brother would be asked to take care of her.  She got throat cancer and had to be put down a couple days ago.  :(  

@dmc515

Sorry for you and your friend's loss as well. 

Dogs give us so much, for some after going through the pain of losing such a beloved companion they can't do it again. Understandable. Others accept it's the bargain for them taking care of us we take care of them and accept their lifespan will be shorter than ours. Never forget the companions we've loved but don't fear opening our hearts to new ones.

I've gotten into the habit of saying the names of all the pets I love/loved. Kind of like the reverse of Arya's prayers, and i do it at least once a day, usually more than that. Just a mantra of never forgetting and it has become almost something I do unconsciously, like having the words of a song going continuously in my head.

Susie, Sassy, Rascal, Rico, Chase, Ciccio, Winter, Sarge, Dulci. Love you all, always will.

6 hours ago, Ran said:

@briantw

Very sorry to hear it. Lost our previous Boxer to cancer as well. It's never easy. When you get a dog, in your head you don't really think about the end, and if you do, you like to imagine a peaceful passing away in their sleep rather than making the hard decision. But the joy of having a companion for a time is, if all's well, a mutual one. You and Loki have lived a life well-lived together.

Yeah, this is my first one too, so it's going to hit the hardest I think.

Sorry to hear that @briantw and @dmc515.

Brian, try to stay optimistic. My childhood dog (a border collie named Harriet) was given a 5% chance to live more than a few months when she was 9 or so. She lived to be 13.

• 3 weeks later...

The puppy is doing great.

The 12 year old boy...not so much.

Sarge is now having full blown seizures every time he wakes ups, sometimes two or three of them within 10 -30 minutes. He collapses on his side and briefly flails his legs and then pees himself. Then he just looks dazed for five to ten minutes then he snaps out of it. Then he just looks so forlorn. :crying:  I want to hold him and hug him and tell him I love him every moment, but i don't want to stress him out either.

The arctic temps aren't helping either. the doctor thinks it's his heart not getting oxygen to his brain causing the seizures and the cold air makes it all worse.

His Cushing's test has come back positive now too.

The vets' prescribed some anti-seizure meds but due to the weather I couldn't get out to the animal hospital to get them, but they put them in the mail, I hope I get them by tomorrow.

We lost our dog Sarge this morning.

The cold weather I think just really exacerbated his poor health. He'd been exhausted all week and seizing a lot when he was up. He went out this morning and collapsed. I brought him in and he couldn't catch his breath. Either it was his heart or his partially collapsing trachea finally completely collapsed or some combination there of. He went fast. No time to get him to the er even if I found transportation.

R.I.P. my beloved dog Sarge :crying::crying::crying::crying: 

2005 - 2018

Though we had you since 2008, the way you loved us, especially my dad, I think you found the best home you could have wanted and happiest life. You certainly made us happy and loved and we tried to make you always feel the same and for the most part it seemed you did.

Sergeant Major

Major Sergeant

Sargento

Sarge in Charge, of my days, of my nights, Sarge in Charge of my wrongs and rights. And I want Sarge in Charge of me...

Thank you for being so good.

Thank you for loving my dad so much and always letting us know when he needed help.

Thank you for always giving us all your love always unconditionally.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm so so very sorry for your loss, @drawkcabi

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

[Hugs]

Thank you.

My dad is really upset, he cried (so did my mom). Then my dad said "Who's going to keep me company now? That boy always stayed with me. Now I'm alone."

and then when he was at the kitchen table, the puppy, Dulcinea, went into his bedroom and settled down to wait for him just like Sarge used to always do.

:wub:     :crying:      :wub:      :crying: 

Archived