Dogs

Quorra

11 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yeah, it's a big difference between the U.S. and most of Europe. Tail docking and ear cropping are banned here in Sweden. I think some Eastern European countries still allow them, in various combinations, but even then some of the boxer clubs don't allow cropped/docked dogs to be shown in competition.

Yeah, I remember reading that when I was doing research on the breed way back when.  I think cropping the ears should be banned here too.  Really don't understand why anyone does it.  It doesn't even look good.  They look so much better with their ears down.

The tails don't bother me as much since it's done at such a young age that they don't remember it.

ETA: Then again, I've never actively chosen to have the tail done.  Both times it was already done when I contacted the breeder.

58 minutes ago, briantw said:

So weird seeing boxers with tails.  Never see that around here.  I'm honestly not even sure I've seen one in person before.

Some pics of my pup:

https://ibb.co/j3801HH
https://ibb.co/0JBRkNS
https://ibb.co/YbgGQ1g
https://ibb.co/MR8yNF7
https://ibb.co/ByJnQvP

I hate when the dog's tail gets clipped. Rottweilers, for example, look so much cooler if they keep their tails.

Good timing on the necro!  My wife and I are going to pick up our new dog in San Antonio on Saturday.  He's a 3yr old Aussie/ Terrier mix of some kind.  He's got good reviews from the shelter people and he's also really cute.  We've had an eye out for a while, ever since we had to send our little foster guy back to his real family.  We had a hard time deciding between a puppy from a breeder or a shelter dog because the dog we were watching (Winston) was a King Charles and we both loved that dog and when we looked up personality traits of the breed it seemed like all the major things we liked about Winston were typical characteristics. He was awesome... but they are expensive dogs and navigating whether or not a given breeder is good or not is a difficult task.  We really thought about biting the bullet and getting one, but this guy we're getting Sat. popped up at a shelter we follow in west Texas and decided to snatch him up.  Excited about it!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting situation going on.

Last few times I was at Walmart I see one or two people with dogs. First it was just a small dog that a lady would have and it'd stay in her hand bag or in her arms.

Last month there were two different people with dogs. They were walked in on leashes and went right in the store. They had vests though so therapy or service dogs. One even wearing diapers.

Today (or yesterday now) I was there and saw at least 4 different dogs. All small or medium size, there was one pug that was totally adorable. But none of them had vests or anything, they were being walked in the store on leashes, and the Walmart greeter let every one go in.

Maybe today was a training day for therapy and/or service dogs?

Anyway, I didn't mind, I enjoyed seeing them. I like having dogs around.

UGH! My dog found my tube of Neosporin, about half gone and ate it!

It's 4am here and I was wondering if I needed to call an emergency vet or pet poison control.

Finding this on the internet puts me somewhat at ease:

https://dogshealthproblems.com/dog-ingested-neosporin/

At the most,  when ingested in larger amounts, dogs may develop digestive issues (nausea, vomiting) as the product may irritate the digestive tract, and the fact that it is a petroleum-based product, may act as a laxative which can lead to diarrhea.  This temporary digestive issue can be relieved by feeding the dog a dog upset stomach bland diet. Generally, the digestive issue is short-lived lasting no more than 24 hours.

While licking Neosporin won’t likely lead to major problems, things can get more complicated if the dog happened to also ingest the tube and/or the plastic cap.

Can't find the cap anywhere but she left most the tube.

Going to keep a close eye on her for now and see how she does tomorrow.

ETA:

Thinking about it more I decided I should call the local er vet.

I don't have a way to bring her in right now, so they said to do as I planned keeping an eye on her but should call the vet in the morning when they open.

ETA 2:

She's fine.

So last night I was having a bad dream and I know from people in the past telling me I moan, call out, or just act like I'm in distress when I'm having a bad dream. My dog Dulci woke me up by put her two front paws on my shoulder and shaking me. Thing is, this is the second time she's woken me up like this right when I was having a bad dream. So apparently this is a thing she does. :wub: 

Has anyone heard of Gentle Giant dog food?

It's sold at Walmart and is put out by Burt Ward...Yes, that Burt Ward, Robin to Adam West's Batman.

Anyway, he runs a rescue for Great Danes and other large dogs and this food is his recipe he gives to them. He says it's good for any dog any size or age. All the proceeds go to his charity for rescuing large dogs. This is the part I can't believe though. He says he has a Great Dane that's 27 years old and another one that's 25. It's even written on the dog food bag.

I just can't believe that. But, out of all the dry dog foods we've tried this is the one Dulci likes the best so it's what she gets.

Since @drawkcabi gave a dog story I better as well.

Three days ago a huge thunderstorm blew through.  At 4 a.m. while I was sleeping, the thunder and lighting got so bad Laci came flying into the room, jumped onto the bed (nearly crushed my dick in the process) and then proceeded to shit all over the bed from fright.

Then, because the power was out, I had to stumble though the house in pitch blackness until I got to the couch (couldn't sleep in the bed because of the feces) with poor Laci shivering violently next to me.

Damn I love my dog.

56 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Since @drawkcabi gave a dog story I better as well.

Three days ago a huge thunderstorm blew through.  At 4 a.m. while I was sleeping, the thunder and lighting got so bad Laci came flying into the room, jumped onto the bed (nearly crushed my dick in the process) and then proceeded to shit all over the bed from fright.

Then, because the power was out, I had to stumble though the house in pitch blackness until I got to the couch (couldn't sleep in the bed because of the feces) with poor Laci shivering violently next to me.

Damn I love my dog.

Yeah, sometimes dogs are lucky they're so damn personable.

Every night at bedtime it's the same thing, I get in bed and Dulci thinks that means play time. Play time means pounce and back off, pounce and back off, pounce and back off. It means spinning 360's in bed about a dozen times. It means grabbing the blanket to play tug o war when I'm just trying to cover myself. It means me thinking she's finally settled down so I start to fall asleep but then there's one more big POUNCE.

But once she's settled for sure she stays settled and is usually a sleepyhead in the morning. That's why it's so unusual for her to be on me in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping and she's only done it when I'm having a bad dream.

Oh, one more thing. She is a sleepyhead in the morning, but once I'm done with my ablutions she's in her "what's next?" mode. I start to make the bed and we're back to it being play time. I'm trying to pull the sheets and blankets up and she keeps hopping right on the bed. I make her get down and as soon as my attention goes back to the bed she's up on it again. I yell at her to get down and she rolls over on her side wanting me to rub her belly.

So I'm left with only one course of action.

I rub her belly 

• 3 months later...

Yep, dogs are gross. All dogs.

This is just something you need to get used to, oh, and make sure dog can't reach the cat litter tray or it will miraculously clean itself as well.

And then doggo will want kisses

4 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

oh, and make sure dog can't reach the cat litter tray or it will miraculously clean itself as well.

Yeah. I use a baby divider to portion off a section of the house for my two cats. They can jump over it. Laci can't.

We’re giving some serious thought to getting a dog at the moment, we’ve got an 18 month toddler and have another on the way too :D, and want them to have a family pet growing up.

Has anyone got boxers?, I have fond memories of a friends one when I was little, so we’re really considering a boxer pup!.

Boxers are great with children, very patient, very robust and eager to.play, very resilient to pain. We had two when I was a kid and we absolutely loved them. Maybe a bit too big for a 18months old toddler (they might just run the kid over)? I don't know, my younger brother was 4 or 5 when we got ours and he had no Problems.

Yeah, adult boxers would likely be fine, but a puppy and baby together? The pup will grow way quicker and not realise that it's human isn't keeping up.

I'm sure others will be able to speak from experience, but I've always felt that babies with puppies isn't a great mix, the pup won't get the time and attention needed, and will quickly be too boisterous without having the awareness.

My instinct is that ideally pups and babes are best at 2+ years apart.

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Yeah, adult boxers would likely be fine, but a puppy and baby together? The pup will grow way quicker and not realise that it's human isn't keeping up.

I'm sure others will be able to speak from experience, but I've always felt that babies with puppies isn't a great mix, the pup won't get the time and attention needed, and will quickly be too boisterous without having the awareness.

My instinct is that ideally pups and babes are best at 2+ years apart.

I agree. My mom all ready had a Keeshond and when I was born she was 3-years-old. It was great growing through my first years with her as all ready an adult dog. Then when I was 5 I got my own puppy and it was wonderful to start with one at that age. She became the best companion I could have had.

So you think an adult dog would be better?, my child seems to love animals (she’s fascinated by ducks at the moment). I’d be ok with getting an adult dog but then it’s also a bit of an unknown what their temperament would be like, especially with children.

4 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

So you think an adult dog would be better?, my child seems to love animals (she’s fascinated by ducks at the moment). I’d be ok with getting an adult dog but then it’s also a bit of an unknown what their temperament would be like, especially with children.

I'm not sure, that's the difficult thing to know. My mom had her dog as a puppy and three years later I was born. I think it would be worthwhile going to a shelter and asking someone there their opinion on your situation though. I know some dogs are just instinctively good with children and families and people at a shelter can usually tell or at least have good hunches.

Not really, no. A renowned dog also needs a shit-tonne of your time and attention, and however good the shelter, or even if younknow the previous owners, you just never know how they'll handle the upheaval. It may well be fine, but there's no guarantees. Were I you, I'd wait 2-3 years before getting that first dog.

I was thinking moremof situations like Drawkcabi above (and mine in childhood, and what I had planned in my adulthood before accepting that babies weren't happening). A dog that's already calming down and established in the family before baby arrives, and/or wait until youngest baby is a couple of years old before getting a pup.

If you get a baby and a dog at the same time, one of them isn't going to get the time and attention they need.

Of course, you don't have to take our advice, which is based mostly on instinct and a little on second-hand knowledge. You may well be absolutely fine getting a dog/pup nowish, it's just... not ideal.

TBH you'd get better advice by talking to a professional dog trainer (or vet for that matter, but trainer would be better) than us random people on the internet.

That’s a fair point, we would be ok waiting a while to get one, we just both thought it would be good for the kids to have a pet growing up, but like you say she is only 18 months old and baby 2 isn’t due until next February, so yes maybe it might be worth putting off getting a dog until he/she is 2 or 3.

Archived