Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley

Calibandar

just finished reading winterbirth. i agree with many of the entries on this thread- its a bit slow to begin with, a few too many character and place names, a lack of description of settings etc, some routine fantasy cliches....but overall, i thought it was a pretty good book.

the kyrinin are a somewhat unique race that i found very interesting- i think its inaccurate to call them "elves"- they're not the standard tolkein-esque cliche (except for the long, slim fingers which is mentioned too often for my liking). and aeglyss appears to be a fascinating character. he's not the typical antagonist. in fact, he evokes a lot of sympathy, i think, because of the ruthless way in which he is used and discarded and mistreated.

aeglyss appears to be a fascinating character. he's not the typical antagonist. in fact, he evokes a lot of sympathy, i think, because of the ruthless way in which he is used and discarded and mistreated.

Well, my impresiion was exactly opposite. I really can't stand Aeglyss and I think the book would be far better without him. I don't mind whiny protagonists like Thomas Covenant or Nevare Burvelle, since I can identify with them, but whiny villain is terribly annoying to me. If you feel your epic fantasy novel needs an eeevil supervillain, at least make him grandiose, not pathetic.

If you feel your epic fantasy novel needs an eeevil supervillain, at least make him grandiose, not pathetic.

I would say that is what makes him unique though. Most of the "eeevil supervillains" are grandiose.

• 1 month later...

briruc,

Hi all. This might be the most delayed working of the Summon Author effect yet, but (thanks to Calibandar, who snuck up on me on another message board and pointed me in this direction) I thought I'd put in an appearance - better late than never, right? - to say all the (mostly) positive comments are much appreciated. Us debut authors would just curl up and die in a corner if no one anywhere ever mentioned that they liked our stuff.

I see a few comments about 'dark', 'serious', 'no happy endings', 'gritty'. Can't really deny it - that's the way it came out onto the page. I think I was a bit despondent about the state of the real world when I came up with the original idea for Winterbirth, and it kind of shows, I guess. I'm honestly not an inherently gloomy person - not all the time, anyway - so, despite the fact the real world's not exactly turned into a place of boundless merriment recently, with any luck at least a glimmer of light and optimism might creep in by the end of Book 3. Maybe. Can't necessarily promise a 100% happy ending, though ...

I just finished Winterbirth I thouroughly enjoyed it. I'm onto Bloodheir. Loved story with the Anain at the start of the book. I really want to know if we will find out more about the Saolin. Also are there Na'Kryim who are born of non-Huanin/Kryninin unions? Do they have different ablities in the Shared than Huanin/Kryninin Na'Kryim?

Archived