ASOIAF / Astronomy Theory covered by Discovery News.com

LmL

Thanks guys, I don't know what to say except to credit and thank everyone on the board who participated in the discussions and the forum community as a whole. It's really just so tremendous that we all have this community. I am happy to be a part of it and to shed a little light where I can. Without the forums, I'd just be some guy talking crazy to his friends about a fantasy series they have never read... As would most of us.

Well done!! I was such a dork when I saw a post about it on FB I squealed out loud "HEY!!! I love reading his essays!!!"....which reminds me I'm behind on them so guess what I'll be doing this evening :) Congrats!!!

Wow, you saw someone share it on FB? Do we know each other?

Awesome! Congratulations, well deserved! :cheers:

Oh, shit. I now realize that I forgot to put in your observations about hematite in the new bloodstone essay. Crap.

I might edit that in; I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it but it does add to the general concept of bloody stone quite nicely. Thanks again.

Oh, shit. I now realize that I forgot to put in your observations about hematite in the new bloodstone essay. Crap.

I might edit that in; I didn't mean to make a big deal out of it but it does add to the general concept of bloody stone quite nicely. Thanks again.

No problem, glad to be of service! :)

Thanks guys, I don't know what to say except to credit and thank everyone on the board who participated in the discussions and the forum community as a whole. It's really just so tremendous that we all have this community. I am happy to be a part of it and to shed a little light where I can. Without the forums, I'd just be some guy talking crazy to his friends about a fantasy series they have never read... As would most of us.

LMBO,so true, no one wants to hear the insane rantings that go on in my head, I barely let things out here.

I saw Elio's post from their FB page.....I guess I should have said that :P Sadly I'm usually hiding behind my tree and thus know no one...lol

Not a bad way to be. I'm living in the SF Bay area now, but would love to buy a proper a bit north of here with some redwoods on it. ;)

And as you said, anything to get people thinking about astronomy and mythology is pretty cool. I know I have had a wonderful time learning a lot more about mythology than I did when I started this project. In that sense, even if am totally bonkers with all this, I have at least learned quite a bit. But if I'm not bonkers, then I think George is basically encouraging his readers to study the source myth from which he is drawing inspiration, which is really cool.

Hey LML. Great news about the article, congrats, very much deserved !

As for the bolded, you can certainly count me, in that 'getting them thinking about astronomy and mythology' category. Whether it be watching as many documentaries on astronomy as I can, gathering Mithras info on the net or videos on YouTube, collaboration via various internet sources on some of your ideas, Morningstar Deities, Corn Kings......etc, the list goes on. I have enjoyed every minute of it ! Thank you. :bowdown:

Something else I think worthy of note, is your break down of the astronomy metaphors and coherence on some of the symbolism 'in the text'. This fact, of course, could be debated, but nevertheless, I found all your ideas to be clearly laid out, highly plausible and backed with some great textual evidence, very exciting !

Anyway, I continue my quest to break down this book series [ as best I can !] and alongside HoW and Radio Westeros consider your threads/blog to be one of the best out there if anyone wants to understand how George is maybe going about this thing. I think you mentioned previously that this series is like a 'seven layer cake', well, you opened the door to the layers I previously had no access to, thanks, great work ! And again congratulations ! :thumbsup:

Kudos, LML! Great to see you getting this recognition. While I don't agree with all your conclusions, I've been a believer that there was a strong astronomical basis for the myth in ASOIAF for a while and have really enjoyed seeing you run far, far further with that hunch than my casual thoughts ever went. Yours has been some of the freshest and most interesting material we've had on these boards for some time -- keep up the good work.

I know this isn't really the place for going into the theory, but the article's physics comments seemed a little misguided. There are certainly problems with the idea of a comet imparting enough energy to disrupt a moon (unless perhaps it was a rogue comet travelling at near-relativistic velocity, but then it wouldn't be a returning comet). On the other hand, there's also magic. A comet could make a pretty good hammer, and we hear of magic in the form of a massive hammer...

Kudos, LML! Great to see you getting this recognition. While I don't agree with all your conclusions, I've been a believer that there was a strong astronomical basis for the myth in ASOIAF for a while and have really enjoyed seeing you run far, far further with that hunch than my casual thoughts ever went. Yours has been some of the freshest and most interesting material we've had on these boards for some time -- keep up the good work.

I know this isn't really the place for going into the theory, but the article's physics comments seemed a little misguided. There are certainly problems with the idea of a comet imparting enough energy to disrupt a moon (unless perhaps it was a rogue comet travelling at near-relativistic velocity, but then it wouldn't be a returning comet). On the other hand, there's also magic. A comet could make a pretty good hammer, and we hear of magic in the form of a massive hammer...

Thanks King Monkey. I am mostly concerned with pointing at the broad strokes of the theory than any one particular piece. I could certainly be wrong about any given part, and my theories are in large part an invitation for people to look at the evidence I am presenting and form their own conclusions. I am however pressing on as best as I can see, with the understanding that I am free to revise my ideas at any time. I haven't been placing any bets, and it's not about predicting anything... it's mostly this: if George is indeed doing something along the approximate lines of what I think he is doing, then he's a total badass and we all need to do a re-read of the series with a different set of glasses on.

Sometimes I explain it this way: it's as if Tolkien had encoded the broad strokes of the more recent history of the Silmarillion inside of LOTR through the in-world myths and song, and through metaphors in the main action.

As for a meteor making a good hammer, funny you should mention that...

The same thought had occurred to me.

Hey LML. Great news about the article, congrats, very much deserved !

As for the bolded, you can certainly count me, in that 'getting them thinking about astronomy and mythology' category. Whether it be watching as many documentaries on astronomy as I can, gathering Mithras info on the net or videos on YouTube, collaboration via various internet sources on some of your ideas, Morningstar Deities, Corn Kings......etc, the list goes on. I have enjoyed every minute of it ! Thank you. :bowdown:

Something else I think worthy of note, is your break down of the astronomy metaphors and coherence on some of the symbolism 'in the text'. This fact, of course, could be debated, but nevertheless, I found all your ideas to be clearly laid out, highly plausible and backed with some great textual evidence, very exciting !

Anyway, I continue my quest to break down this book series [ as best I can !] and alongside HoW and Radio Westeros consider your threads/blog to be one of the best out there if anyone wants to understand how George is maybe going about this thing. I think you mentioned previously that this series is like a 'seven layer cake', well, you opened the door to the layers I previously had no access to, thanks, great work ! And again congratulations ! :thumbsup:

Music to my ears, brother. I could say the same about RW and HoW - they opened my eyes in many ways. I am still working on a full re-read since having the initial astronomy theory, and I have to stop and make notes on every chapter. I understand why people are skeptical at first - I was too - but at this point, I have just found so damn many occurrences of the same pattern... well you get the idea.

I have learned a ton through the process of trying to research all of George's influences - and I have to think that's something George intended. He's teaching us the language of symbolism and giving us an appreciation for culture and mythology we otherwise might not really ever dig into.

I have learned a ton through the process of trying to research all of George's influences - and I have to think that's something George intended. He's teaching us the language of symbolism and giving us an appreciation for culture and mythology we otherwise might not really ever dig into.

Agreed, and still learning, but what a great journey ! While interested in the historical influences throughout the series in particular, I'd not considered researching.....well, anywhere near the amount of subjects highlighted that George has 'potentially' touched on, a worthwhile project indeed !

Nice to see Yolkboy showing appreciation, and I know you have your threads up at the HoW forums. Once information is fully computed, researched and ready for discussion, I look forward to these guys opinions. And any talk of RW using you for future astronomy based podcasts is awesome ! :)

Archived