Small Questions v. 10102

How old was Gerold Hightower , when he died?

We don't know, exactly. He was the uncle of Lord Leyton. Leyton had a son who I'd estimate to be between 40-50. Which most likely puts Leyton himself somewhere around 60-70. Gerold would have been Leyton's fathers younger brother, so some 15-20 years older than Leyton, give or take.

I'd estimate Gerold to have been around 60-65 when he died, a similar age Barristan Selmy has currently.

Once Lord Beric Dondarrion died, after each life he remembered less and less of his life before as a Lord. He seems to serve only one mission: to protect the smallfolk/rid the realm of outlaws (which was he was decreed by Ned when he was hand of the king).

My question is, with the above in mind, why did he give his life for Catelyn Tully? How does that fit in with his current mindset? It seems to contradict what he has been doing with the Brotherhood without Banners.

My question is, with the above in mind, why did he give his life for Catelyn Tully? How does that fit in with his current mindset? It seems to contradict what he has been doing with the Brotherhood without Banners.

Because she was the Hand's Wife, I think.  And we don't know that Beric knew he was going to finally die after giving the kiss to Catelyn. 

Once Lord Beric Dondarrion died, after each life he remembered less and less of his life before as a Lord. He seems to serve only one mission: to protect the smallfolk/rid the realm of outlaws (which was he was decreed by Ned when he was hand of the king).

How about this...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115959-the-power-of-beric-and-catelyn-comes-from-the-old-gods-not-the-lord-of-light-and-jaime-will-be-next/

:)

My question: Do we know how old Egg was when his mum passed away? Between four and eight?

And what came first Steffon's mission to find a bride for Rhaegar or the Defiance of Duskendale?

How about this...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115959-the-power-of-beric-and-catelyn-comes-from-the-old-gods-not-the-lord-of-light-and-jaime-will-be-next/

:)

My question: Do we know how old Egg was when his mum passed away? Between four and eight?

And what came first Steffon's mission to find a bride for Rhaegar or the Defiance of Duskendale?

Duskendale came first, then Steffon's mission. 

Aegon's mother died between 201 and 209 AC, Aegon was born in 200 AC. He would have been between 1 and 9

Duskendale came first, then Steffon's mission. 

Aegon's mother died between 201 and 209 AC, Aegon was born in 200 AC. He would have been between 1 and 9

and when did Varys enter Aerys's service, before or after Steffon?

Weren't Egg's two sisters younger than him?

Because she was the Hand's Wife, I think.  And we don't know that Beric knew he was going to finally die after giving the kiss to Catelyn. 

Beric was also weary of being brought back and losing more of himself each time.

Beric: "Fire consumes. It consumes, and when it is done there is nothing left. Nothing."

Thoros: "Beric. Sweet friend. What are you saying?"

Beric: "Nothing I have not said before. Six times, Thoros? Six times is too many."

and when did Varys enter Aerys's service, before or after Steffon?

Varys entered the Aerys's service in the years after Steffon died in 278AC. He is well established as the Master of Whispers (and had gained the nickname of the Spider) prior to the false spring (281AC) so my guess would be him coming into the position sometime in late 279AC or early 280AC.

Sansa V, agot

Snip

As to Viserys, I guess he knew. Why would Aerys keep that a secret?
In any case, he had been crowned on Dragonstone after Aerys' death, so he had that over Aegon's claim as well.

Hehe, good point. What's really interesting then is if he ever bothered to tell Dany... There'd be no reason to I guess, since they believed all Rhaegar's branch had died out.
Then again, I could see Viserys rambling about how he so is the dragon, daddy made him heir over RHAEGAR. Yea!

You got it right...

Sansa V, Game 57

Thanks, you two! :)

Varys entered the Aerys's service in the years after Steffon died in 278AC. He is well established as the Master of Whispers (and had gained the nickname of the Spider) prior to the false spring (281AC) so my guess would be him coming into the position sometime in late 279AC or early 280AC.

I don't doubt the second part, but can you confirm the bolded statement with a quote?

I don't doubt the second part, but can you confirm the bolded statement with a quote?

TWoFaI: Targaryen Kings: Aerys II
Determined to prevent that from happening, King Aerys turned to another friend of his childhood, summoning Steffon Baratheon from Storm's End and naming him to the small council. In 278 AC, the king sent Lord Steffon across the narrow sea on a mission to Old Volantis, to seek a suitable bride for Prince Rhaegar, "a maid of noble birth from an old Valyrian bloodline." ...

The gods had other notions, however. Steffon Baratheon's mission ended in failure, and on his return from Volantis, his ship foundered and sank in Shipbreaker Bay, within sight of Storm's End. Lord Steffon and his wife were both drowned as their two elder sons watched from the castle walls....

In the years that followed, the king's madness deepened. Though Tywin Lannister continued as Hand, Aerys no longer met with him save in the presence of all seven Kingsguard. Convinced that the smallfolk and lords were plotting against his life and fearing that even Queen Rhaella and Prince Rhaegar might be part of these plots, he reached across the narrow sea to Pentos and imported a eunuch named Varys to serve as his spymaster, reasoning that only a man without friends, family, or ties in Westeros could be relied upon for the truth. The Spider, as he soon became known to the smallfolk of his realm, used the crown's gold to create a vast web of informers. For the rest of Aerys's reign, he would crouch at the king's side, whispering in his ear.

Then why did Aerion threaten to turn Egg into a sister?

That's an oblique way of saying he wanted to castrate him.

In the birth order they were male, male, male, female, male, female.

Targaryen's had commonly been marrying two of their sisters.

At the time when the threats where made their was one girl (there was a big gap between Egg and Rhae).

Ergo Aerion wanted to make Egg into a girl.

TWoFaI: Targaryen Kings: Aerys II
Determined to prevent that from happening, King Aerys turned to another friend of his childhood, summoning Steffon Baratheon from Storm's End and naming him to the small council. In 278 AC, the king sent Lord Steffon across the narrow sea on a mission to Old Volantis, to seek a suitable bride for Prince Rhaegar, "a maid of noble birth from an old Valyrian bloodline." ...

The gods had other notions, however. Steffon Baratheon's mission ended in failure, and on his return from Volantis, his ship foundered and sank in Shipbreaker Bay, within sight of Storm's End. Lord Steffon and his wife were both drowned as their two elder sons watched from the castle walls....

In the years that followed, the king's madness deepened. Though Tywin Lannister continued as Hand, Aerys no longer met with him save in the presence of all seven Kingsguard. Convinced that the smallfolk and lords were plotting against his life and fearing that even Queen Rhaella and Prince Rhaegar might be part of these plots, he reached across the narrow sea to Pentos and imported a eunuch named Varys to serve as his spymaster, reasoning that only a man without friends, family, or ties in Westeros could be relied upon for the truth. The Spider, as he soon became known to the smallfolk of his realm, used the crown's gold to create a vast web of informers. For the rest of Aerys's reign, he would crouch at the king's side, whispering in his ear.

Yeap. That works for me.

At the time when the threats where made their was one girl (there was a big gap between Egg and Rhae).

But he told Egg he needed a sister to wed...

Yes, he's a cruel psychopath that threatened his young sibling with castration, so he won't be a male anymore, and then he would marry him and use him like a girl.

I know it's difficult to wrap your brains around, but your reading about the threats of a young psychopath, the logic only has to make sense in his head.

We know nothing of the age-gap between Aegon and Rhae, as far as I can recall..

Archived