Small Questions v. 10102

Well if they meant the Lannisport tourney, they actually made two mistakes, wrong date and wrong event. If they meant the KL tourney they made only one, the location.

The 272AC tourney was planned for the celebration of Aerys' tenth anniversary as king. Does he throw it in his own honor (and foot the bill) or does someone else throw it in his honor (and foot the bill). The reason for Tywin throwing it in KL may be as simple as the throne being in KL and for the convenience the King and of himself, which did not require traveling from the court to Lannisport. Also of note is that Rhaella was pregnant with prince Aegon at the time, after long streak of miscarriages, stillbirths and short lived infants, on top of the fact that at this point, that Rhaella was forbid to leave Maegor's Holdfast had two Septas for bed mates, so it could be that Aerys may not have wanted to travel at that point for multiple reasons.

My point is that from what clues we have, the time frame for Waymar's ranging is closer to the Bran I rather than further back in the timeline, pushing it to the point where it occurs after Danys first chapter, if not the second.

Whatever Gared witness scared him so badly that when Ned is attempting to talk to him some time after of the event that he is incoherent.

"He was the fourth this year," Ned said grimly. "The poor man was half-mad. Something had put a fear in him so deep that my words could not reach him." He sighed. "Ben writes that the strength of the Night's Watch is down below a thousand. It's not only desertions. They are losing men on rangings as well."

So I don't think he was being stealthy or careful, I think was terrified out of his mind and just moving as fast as possible to put as much distance between him and whatever he saw.

My point is that from what clues we have, the time frame for Waymar's ranging is closer to the Bran I rather than further back in the timeline, pushing it to the point where it occurs after Danys first chapter, if not the second.atever he saw.

We know through Sansa that Bronze Yohn and Waymar Royce passed by Winterfell in 296 :

Sansa remembered Lord Yohn Royce, who had guested at Winterfell two years before. (from AGOT 29, so in 298)

"Bronze Yohn knows me," she reminded him. "He was a guest at Winterfell when his son rode north to take the black." She had fallen wildly in love with Ser Waymar, she remembered dimly, but that was a lifetime ago, when she was a stupid little girl.

Then Jeor Mormont remembers Waymar urged him to let him have his first ranging :

Mormont scarcely seemed to hear him. The old man warmed his hands before the fire. "I sent Benjen Stark to search after Yohn Royce's son, lost on his first ranging. The Royce boy was green as summer grass, yet he insisted on the honor of his own command, saying it was his due as a knight. I did not wish to offend his lord father, so I yielded. I sent him out with two men I deemed as good as any in the Watch. More fool I."

So this places the prologue in late 296 - early 297 rather than in 298

Well if they meant the Lannisport tourney, they actually made two mistakes, wrong date and wrong event. If they meant the KL tourney they made only one, the location.

They make two mistakes either way, because only Lannisport fits the description.

Does anyone know if the fourth print has been released yet?

We know through Sansa that Bronze Yohn and Waymar Royce passed by Winterfell in 296 :

Then Jeor Mormont remembers Waymar urged him to let him have his first ranging :

So this places the prologue in late 296 - early 297 rather than in 298

The Royces having passed Winterfell some two years before mid-298, thus around mid-296, would place Waymar's arrival at the Wall in late 296, if he travelled slowly (the fact that they spend a fortnight at Winterfell might suggest they had no great haste of getting to CB).

Waymar had been at the Wall for less than half a year when he died, placing his drag in early to mid 297 AC. Bran I and Catelyn I take place in 298 AC, late in the first quarter.

How long it took Gared to get south of the Wall, we don't know. Even if Waymar arrived at CB in the last few days of 296 AC, Gared was running for a period close to 8-9 months before he got caught, as that would place Waymar's and Will's deaths in mid 297 AC.

Archived