Small Questions v. 10102

What is a masterly house?
Masterly houses are beneath lordly houses.  They cannot dispense justice, and they technically do not own the land, they administer it.  Deepwood Mott is a masterly house I believe, they administer the Wolfswood but cannot dispense justice.

This is from the opening post. It is still conjecture that "master" in the north is equivalent to a landed knight, and GRRM has not mentioned a "masterly" rank from what I can find.

How long is a "generation" in asoiaf? The Internet mostly says it is the length between the birth of a parent and birth of the child, so cca 25 years. Does that apply to asoiaf as well since I believe girls give birth there considerably earlier in life?
Also, the long night is said to be a generation long, but that doesn't seem long enough for people being born, living and dying in the darkness (or something like that according to Old Nan). So, how long is a "generation" in asoiaf?

This is from the opening post. It is still conjecture that "master" in the north is equivalent to a landed knight, and GRRM has not mentioned a "masterly" rank from what I can find.

This should be high on the list of things to ask Martin about during Q&As. Actually come to think of it has anyone asked Ran about it? It doesn't seem like something Martin would be trying to keep vague.

The bear was Jeor but the ram was Craster. Craster was wearing sheepskins when Jon met him. He was sacraficing sheep to the others as well as his sons. And a group of ewes is generally mated by a single ram. Jeor and Craster were killed together.

Wow, I never noticed that.

Thanks, Syphon and LM.

This may be off-topic, but I really really need to know why GRRM decided to have seven books instead of three. I can't find the reason why! I saw the outline he made and it seemed to me pretty straight-forward, and could be fit in three big books. Do you guys think he'll follow it? I so don't want to.

Wut Wut, a generation in ASOIAF is probably 20 years rather than 25, as everyone we see getting married is even younger than 20.

the tower of albion, we are told that in really bad winters the sea around White Harbor can freeze, since theres another thousand miles or so to the wall I would say its entirely possible there is a good amount of sea ice up that way in winter, however that's different than the entire ocean freezing, which it almost certainly does not.

Does anyone have the quote that tells us that:

Dorne gives a degree of social status to paramours, despite the "unchaste" nature of the relationship.

I've heard it said before, but there's no source and I can't find anything. 

Does anyone have the quote that tells us that:

I've heard it said before, but there's no source and I can't find anything. 

Perhaps the source for that sentence is this:

There are other customs besides that mark the Dornish as different. They are not greatly concerned if a child is born in wedlock or out of it, especially if the child is born to a paramour. Many lords—and even some ladies—have paramours, chosen for love and lust rather than for breeding or alliance. And when it comes to matters of love, that a man might lie with another man, or a woman with another woman, is likewise not cause for concern; while the septons have often wished to shepherd the Dornishmen to the righteous path, they have had little effect. Even the fashions are different in Dorne, where the climate favors loose, layered robes and the food is richly spiced, ready to burn the mouth with dragon peppers mixed with drops of snake venom.

?

Perhaps the source for that sentence is this:

There are other customs besides that mark the Dornish as different. They are not greatly concerned if a child is born in wedlock or out of it, especially if the child is born to a paramour. Many lords—and even some ladies—have paramours, chosen for love and lust rather than for breeding or alliance. And when it comes to matters of love, that a man might lie with another man, or a woman with another woman, is likewise not cause for concern; while the septons have often wished to shepherd the Dornishmen to the righteous path, they have had little effect. Even the fashions are different in Dorne, where the climate favors loose, layered robes and the food is richly spiced, ready to burn the mouth with dragon peppers mixed with drops of snake venom.

?

Maybe, but I believe this idea pre-dates the worldbook. Also while that quote says paramours are common in Dorne, it doesn't seem to indicate that they are given any degree of social status there.

Archived