Small Questions v. 10102

I was doing a re-read and got through the part with the Frey's lieing about the Red Wedding  (the Young Wolf turned into an actual wolf and started killing people and his men did the same).  And I thought - there is at least one person that saw at least part of the Red Wedding and he just COULD be with a portion of the Faith and can put the lie to those allegations if the Faith ever was called in to determine the truth.  

Come to think of it, he also probably has some dirt on the Lannisters from many years in their employ at close proximity to the top people.

So, any chance that he is brought into any of these issues by the Faith (aside from a definite possibility of CleganeBowl). 

Sandor never entered the Twins. He might know about Petyr's betrayal though.

A pike is a weapon like a spear. A spike just generally means something pointy.

I suppose if you had someone's head on a pike, you could carry it around and show people in different places. If you lived in a castle with pointy things on the walls or somewhere else as a form of defence, the heads that get stuck on them would simply be stationary.

This is more a question about language than actual content:

Sometimes characters use the expression "Head on a spike" and sometimes it is "Head on a pike". What is the difference between a spike and a pike?

The second is a misprint to be found in AGoT 63 Catelyn X: "Lord Karstark will want his head on a pike." and ACoK 41  Tyrion IX: "If I were Mace Tyrell, I would sooner have Joffrey's head on a pike than his c*ck in my daughter." - that's what I think. Or it may be there for diversity and trying to express some added cruelty if that's possible at all.

Spike: a pointed stick-thingy.

Pike: war arm ending in a spike. Or a fish.

Why did the ancient crown of the Kings of Winter have nine black iron spikes wrought in the shape of longswords?

My guess would be that at one time their were nine kingdoms in the North (eight plus the Starks at Winterfell). We know the Barrow Kings were the last to kneel. Flints, Slates, Umbers, Lockes, Glovers, Fishers and Blackwoods (before they moved) all were royal houses.

I've also wondered if it had something to do with the grove of nine weirwood trees north of the wall where Jon and Sam took their vows.

I've also wondered if it had something to do with the grove of nine weirwood trees north of the wall where Jon and Sam took their vows.

Interesting. There's also this...

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

before Cat sees her uncle the blackfish at the bloody gate when was the last time they saw each other?

I don't think it's explicitly stated, but after Robert's Rebellion, When Jon A came to RR to claim Lysa, he got LF and BF in the bargain.  Cat was surely still at RR with Robb, because Ned had to come all the way from Dorne.

Is it wildling tradtion to burn the bodies? Or are they just doing that since they rediscovered the Others and Wights?

It's kind of like not eating pork in an age that doesn't understand germ theory.  Those who think raw pig is yummy and righteous are supplanted by those who find it wicked and vile.  The Others never totally went away, and burning your dead has always been good for your survival.  Over time, safety principles become deified. 

Could Ashara have been at KL during the sack?

Possibly, but I'd say it's not likely she'd be there at that point in the war.

Ashara Dayne was not nailed to the floor in Starfall, as some of the fans who write me seem to assume. They have horses in Dorne too, you know. And boats (though not many of their own). As a matter of fact (a tiny tidbit from SOS), she was one of Princess Elia's lady companions in King's Landing, in the first few years after Elia married Rhaegar.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1040

I don't think it's explicitly stated, but after Robert's Rebellion, When Jon A came to RR to claim Lysa, he got LF and BF in the bargain.  Cat was surely still at RR with Robb, because Ned had to come all the way from Dorne.

i figured that hadn't seen each other in a while. so i always wondered why the blackfish told Jamie that cat never trusted Jon snow. How would he know she didn't? i can't she her talking about Jon to him during the WO5K 

He did not get anyone in the bargain. Brynden decided to leave on his own and Jon accepted him into his service. LF had been at the Fingers for more than a year, far put of Hosters reach.

Lysa would later as Jon to give LF a job, which he did.

i figured that hadn't seen each other in a while. so i always wondered why the blackfish told Jamie that cat never trusted Jon snow. How would he know she didn't? i can't she her talking about Jon to him during the WO5K 

Cat and Edmure write each other letters. Why wouldn't Cat and Brynden?

It isn't clear if Ned went to Riverrun to pick up Cat and Robb or if he dispatched a force to retrieve, but when Cat arrived at Winterfell with Robb, Jon and his wet nurse was already there.

AGoT: Catelyn II

He did more than that. The Starks were not like other men. Ned brought his bastard home with him, and called him "son" for all the north to see. When the wars were over at last, and Catelyn rode to Winterfell, Jon and his wet nurse had already taken up residence.

It isn't clear if Ned went to Riverrun to pick up Cat and Robb or if he dispatched a force to retrieve, but when Cat arrived at Winterfell with Robb, Jon and his wet nurse was already there.

AGoT: Catelyn II
He did more than that. The Starks were not like other men. Ned brought his bastard home with him, and called him "son" for all the north to see. When the wars were over at last, and Catelyn rode to Winterfell, Jon and his wet nurse had already taken up residence.

There's also

"Gods have mercy, Ser Brynden exclaimed when he saw what lay before them. This is Moat Cailin? Its no more than a-
-death trap, Catelyn finished. I know how it looks, Uncle. I thought the same the first time I saw it, but Ned assured me that this ruin is more formidable than it seems.

Cat would have passed Moat Cailin going from Riverrun to Winterfell. Either Ned told her after she had arrived at Winterfell, or it is a hint that he went to pick her and his newborn son (whom he most likely had yet to meet) up.

Ned could also have brought Jon to Winterfell, and travelled to Riverrun only after. There are those who say that Ned would have never let his army march back home without him, and they have a point, whig would have brought him past Riverrun, in which scenario Jon and his wetnurse had been sent ahead.

Archived