Samwell Tarly in The Winds of Winter

ShelbySmythe

I'm excited for literally every storyline. There is going to be a lot of payoff in TWOW from what FEAST and DANCE were building up to, so I am very eager to find out what happens with Sam.

Agreed. Many people criticise Feast and Dance for the speed in which it tells the story, but I believe that it's a slow build up to a brilliant series of events in Winds. I'm dying to read the book and see where the storyline's for each character are going.

I think Sam will be a major player. The Unlikly Hero theme felt evident in the early books, especially with Tyrion and Bran,Arya and to a lesser extent the Bastard Snow....but those characters are already pretty heroic and the way they have grown as characters make them seem more likely than unlikely at this point. To me, Samwell is the most unlikely character to effect the fate of Westeros, so I think he will discover something at the citadel and in the end will have himself a Frodo moment.

In my heart, I feel the Dragons are a bad thing for the world, and no matter if they are the most effective weapon against the threat of the others or not, they will eventually need to be destroyed. That's where I think Sam will play a major part in the finale book.

i am not really a big fan of sams story its kind of predictable, he is someone who we all saw as underdog yet we get feeling that we kind of underestimated him etc...

so the predictable thing GRRM might do is maybe he Sam will come up with the answers to many questions and help solve many problems...

something unpredictable that i would like to see is sam get killed by faceless man and they take his place or something...

I like Samwell. I think that we will finally see Sam come into his own at Oldtown. Whenever I think of Sam, I always remember Ned Stark's words to his son Brandon in the very first chapter of Game of Thrones.

Bran tells his father that Jon said that the deserter was afraid and Robb said he was brave.

Ned says, and what do you think Bran?

Is it possible to be brave if you're afraid?

"That's the only time you can be brave."

I may not have gotten the quote exactly right, but, that's the gist of it. Sam is so afraid, he doesn't realize that his actions despite his fear make him braver than many of his Black Brothers. It doesn't seem to faze Sam that overcoming his fear and taking action is the very definition of bravery. His father really did a number on him. I am also hoping that he will be able to stand up to his abusive father and prove himself a better man, a braver man, a great man even with his father looking on.

His book smarts should take him to some interesting discoveries, and us along with him! I want to know more of the Jade Compendium. I want to hear more about the oily black stone at the base of the Citadel. I think Sam will be able to answer a lot of nagging questions for us and perhaps make some discoveries that will help save the realm, possibly even Jon himself.

Too much? Well, in short, I need a hero!

All of this. :)

i am not really a big fan of sams story its kind of predictable, he is someone who we all saw as underdog yet we get feeling that we kind of underestimated him etc...
so the predictable thing GRRM might do is maybe he Sam will come up with the answers to many questions and help solve many problems...

something unpredictable that i would like to see is sam get killed by faceless man and they take his place or something...

I get that. I feel like Samwll Tarly is homage to Samwell Gamgee. He's going to play a big part in defeating the Dragons.

I have no doubt that Sam is going to play a major role going forward, and not only that, I believe he'll be standing at the end of everything.  I believe he'll uncover a lot of historical texts at the Citadel that will prove what people believe is "real history" to be indeed fabrications by the church. 

I picture Sam, when it's all said and done, being a scholar at the Citadel that starts to record *accurate* history from the time they are alive, and finally straightening out Westeros's history for generations moving forward.

I have no doubt that Sam is going to play a major role going forward, and not only that, I believe he'll be standing at the end of everything.  I believe he'll uncover a lot of historical texts at the Citadel that will prove what people believe is "real history" to be indeed fabrications by the church. 

I picture Sam, when it's all said and done, being a scholar at the Citadel that starts to record *accurate* history from the time they are alive, and finally straightening out Westeros's history for generations moving forward.

Yeah he's going to be a really big deal....I personally believe the Dragons are a bad deal for the world, and that Dany is a nutter, and the Dragons must be dealt with. SAMs the man to figure out how to kill Dragons, me thinks.

I'm excited for literally every storyline. There is going to be a lot of payoff in TWOW from what FEAST and DANCE were building up to, so I am very eager to find out what happens with Sam.

I wholly agree with this. Well said.

I would be excited for Sam's storyline anyway. I admit I have a soft spot for him. :)

I am not the kinda guy who cares about every little thing thats going on in Westeros but I am really excited to find out about whats going on at the citadell and to see his maester training. I kinda like maesters  :bowdown:

Apart from that I am pretty sure ist gonna matter for the story anyways so it can only turn out to be good

Sam will uncover an ancient style of kung fu practiced by the first men, and then use it to leap out of a very large flower pot and stab Euron Greyjoy's remaining eye out when he comes to ransack Oldtown.  Then he'll ride out of town on a very sturdy donkey into the sunset with Gilly and Jr. Moments later, Jon Snow, who isn't dead and who finally managed to snatch himself a dragon when Daenerys flew north to visit him, will swoop down, let the dragon grab Sam in his talons, and slowly fly him back north to the wall, shouting "Remember your vows, you p-whipped little wannabe maester! Oh, and I'm a Targaryen!"

We know the FM have plans at the citadel, what if Sam discovers them, and dare I say it, puts an end to them?

If he did, what would be the connection to the rest of the story?  Are fans so used to the fragmentary nature of the story-telling so far, that they have completely despaired of GRRM ever drawing the threads of the story together?

We know the FM have plans at the citadel, what if Sam discovers them, and dare I say it, puts an end to them?

We know Sam has killed a Wight and an Other, so why not have him kill a FM, too?

Yeah, Sam could totally Jar Jar Binks-kill a hapless FM in a split second where he lets his guard down.  Guess he shouldn't have meandered too close to Sam during archery practice.

I cannot properly express my lack of interest in Samwell's POVs.  Only because I strongly doubt we'll get much of any info.  Will Sam expose Pate for being a faceless man?  No.  Will Sam uncover the faceless men's hidden agenda or the citadel's?  Doubt it.

All we can hope for is Sam hears about Jon's stabbing somehow, hops on another boat, but before he leaves gains serious knowledge on the Others.  

I cannot properly express my lack of interest in Samwell's POVs.  Only because I strongly doubt we'll get much of any info.  Will Sam expose Pate for being a faceless man?  No.  Will Sam uncover the faceless men's hidden agenda or the citadel's?  Doubt it.

All we can hope for is Sam hears about Jon's stabbing somehow, hops on another boat, but before he leaves gains serious knowledge on the Others.

I think we can hope for slightly more than that.

I do hope you're wrong. It'd be kind of anti-climatic if that happened. I'm hoping that Samwell's journey pays off by answering a few questions. The Riddle and the Sphinx for example. He's bound to discover what that's about right? Sailing back up to the Wall seems inconsistent with what Martin is trying to set up.

I do hope you're wrong. It'd be kind of anti-climatic if that happened. I'm hoping that Samwell's journey pays off by answering a few questions. The Riddle and the Sphinx for example. He's bound to discover what that's about right? Sailing back up to the Wall seems inconsistent with what Martin is trying to set up.

I too hope you are wrong.  I definitely am interested in what is going on at the Citadel and it is Sam's POV that will tell us (so he isn't going to get offed by a Faceless Man just yet).  Books about dragons, magic & history, the Sphinx & the riddle, the glass candles, stuff about what the FMs are up to and if that isn't enough Gilly, Mance's baby, the goings on at Horn HIll and, because Old Town is a major port city all sorts of other information via people coming in and out.

He's in the heart of information now.

Archived