Little Questions That Don't Fit Anywhere Else Part 3

HexMachina

44 minutes ago, valgrel said:

Who will use Heartsbane in the fight against WW ? Sam will certainly not, and it would be a waste to leave the only 2-handed valyrian sword (Longclaw, Oathkeeper are bastard swords) in its sheath. 

Jorah could be the best choice, or maybe Sandor. Anyone else ?

My money would be on Jorah as well. He has given up Longclaw to Jon, but he is still a knight. It seems fitting he gets to wield some sort of Valyrian sword.

Gendry has his hammer, Beric has his flaming sword, Arya has the Catspaw dagger, Jon has Longclaw, Jaime has Widow's Wail, Brienne has Oathkeeper... it really is between Jorah and Sandor out of the Suicide Squad. It might even be that Heartsbane switches hands a few times or the sword itself is melted down to make two new swords. Isn't Heartsbane a greatsword? If they go down the "Gendry-Reworks-Valyrian-Steel" theory some fans have, it could be turned into two smaller one-handed, short swords, perhaps? That way Jorah and Sandor would both get one.

Edited by Faera

Why does Arya go down the stairs and out through the sewers when shes under the Red Keep, when Varys and Illyrio walk past, when its quite obvious she's thin and flat-chested enough to squeeze through the bars? I know thats how it is in the books, but it kinda kills the Immersion as far as the show goes.

And was it ever said by George RR or Weiss & Benioff , why they changed it from Jon & Ghost finding the dragonglass and the nights watch cloak it came with, to Grenn, Edd & Sam?

Edited by RhaegoTheUnborn

• 1 month later...

Quaithe of the Shadow said:

The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed senechal.

They’re all mummers on the show but who the hell has a dragon? And where is that little shadowbinder at?

• 1 month later...

1. I saw the Roleplay section and got excited, but no one has posted anything in it for years. Is there any other type of RP that you guys do?

2. I haven't read the books, but in the show when Cersei goes to see the fortune teller in the woods as a child, the woman tells Cersei that she will have three children and they will all die. But what about the child Cersei told Catelyn about in season one who died as a baby?

Edited by Giomax

On 11/2/2017 at 0:17 PM, MinscS2 said:

Perhaps she's refering to Young Griff who's clearly not the real Aegon?
(If he was he wouldn't had been cut from the TV-show)

Or they just merged his character with other characters to simplify things on the show or ... something. 

(Though, you're probably right that he's not a Targ and is a Blackfryre .... I just really want him to be the real Aegon so bad ha).

• 3 months later...

So with Jon decreeing that everybody above the age of 12 will be trained in fighting....does that mean Sansa is being trained to fight as well? Or does she get a pass due to being Jon's sister (well, cousin, but officially sister)?

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:04 PM, Giomax said:

How do raven messages work? How do the birds know where to go? 

Same as real life carrier pigeons, messages were actually sent this way.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:18 AM, Orphalesion said:

So with Jon decreeing that everybody above the age of 12 will be trained in fighting....does that mean Sansa is being trained to fight as well? Or does she get a pass due to being Jon's sister (well, cousin, but officially sister)?

I thought she was going to be training with Arya? But remember as a head of House Stark she has other duties than fighting, like running the North.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 3:18 PM, Orphalesion said:

does that mean Sansa is being trained to fight as well?

No, we didn't see Sansa training and it appears to be inappropriate for her to do so. She is not the fighting kind of lady. She will focus on leading her people and running Winterfell. 

On 7/9/2018 at 2:37 PM, wolfsbae said:

Why establish this whole thing about Gendry and his hammer for him to just hand it over to the Hound

What was established about his hammer? Can you eleborate on this? Gendry just said he is not a trained swordsman and prefers a hammer. Simple as that. Fitting for a smith, somehow. I don't think the hammer has any deeper meaning here.

We know three significant things about Gendry:

• He is the last living Baratheon bastard. Might become important; Jon/Gendry might resemble Eddard/Robert.
  • He is a well-trained smith who learned his craft from one of the few smith masters able to reforge Valyrian steel. Might be important for the storyline.
  • He knows Arya from the Night Watch caravan ("we could be family"). I don't believe in any romantic relation, but the two knowing and trusting each other can be important anyway.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:50 AM, Kajjo said:

No, we didn't see Sansa training and it appears to be inappropriate for her to do so. She is not the fighting kind of lady. She will focus on leading her people and running Winterfell.

Yeah I know we didn't see her training, just wanted to point out that oversight.

And well, I don't think the bulk of 12 year olds, boy or girl, are the "fighting kind" either and it didn't sound like they'd get a choice....

On 8/2/2018 at 9:50 AM, Kajjo said:

What was established about his hammer? Can you eleborate on this? Gendry just said he is not a trained swordsman and prefers a hammer. Simple as that. Fitting for a smith, somehow. I don't think the hammer has any deeper meaning here.

• He is the last living Baratheon bastard. Might become important; Jon/Gendry might resemble Eddard/Robert.
  • He is a well-trained smith who learned his craft from one of the few smith masters able to reforge Valyrian steel. Might be important for the storyline.
  • He knows Arya from the Night Watch caravan ("we could be family"). I don't believe in any romantic relation, but the two knowing and trusting each other can be important anyway.

You could be right; perhaps I am overstating. I just thought the parallel between Robert and his warhammer and Gendry and his hammer would have been more significant. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the hammer reappeared next season without explanation.

• 2 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Kajjo said:

(...)

Do we actually know he is a bastard in the show? There is the theory that he could be Cersei's son that "died". I know that is a lumpy theory that would be full of plot holes and therefore won't appear in the books, but I doubt that would bother D+D. Plus, they have already removed the main plot hole, with Cersei's little speech in Winterfell..

Edit to add: I do actually think there is a good chance of a true-born Gendry in the show. It would explain why his small sacrifice of blood was so effective, whilst the burning of Shireen accomplished so little - because Stannis is no King whilst Gendry lives.

Also in the books:

Spoiler

The man turned, spoiling for a quarrel, but when he saw Gendry's size he thought better of it. "You sister, is she? What kind of brother are you? I'd never bring no sister of mine to the Peach, that I wouldn't." He got up from the bench and moved off muttering, in search of a new friend.
"Why did you say that?" Arya hopped to her feet, "You're not my brother."
"That's right," he said angrily. "I'm too bloody lowborn to be kin to m'lady high."
Arya was taken aback by the fury in his voice. "That's not the way I mean it."
"Yes it is." He sat down on the bench, cradling a cup of wine between his hands. "Go away. I want to drink this wine in peace. Then maybe I'll go find that black-haired girl and ring her bell for her."
"But . . ."
"I said, go away. M'lady."
Arya whirled and left him there. A stupid bullheaded bastard boy, that's all he is. He could ring all the bells he wanted, it was nothing to her.”

Edited by Timm
Because I thought of something else and didnt want to spam the thread.

• 3 months later...

As dragons have been compared to Medieval fantasy versions of nuclear weapons, and white walkers don’t seem to be bothered by fire in the show as much as we thought, it has kind of made me think would the white walkers survive a direct hit from a nuclear missile?, I’m pretty much siding with no they wouldn’t :P.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2017 at 11:04 AM, Giomax said:

How do raven messages work? How do the birds know where to go? 

It's a little bit more complex than the real carrier pigeons of our world. It is said in the 5th book of A Song of Ice and Fire A Dance with Dragons, that the Children of the Forest taught the first men how to delivery these messages, at first, the Ravens will speak the words, or the Ravens can be skin changer and thus can travel from anywhere around Westeros. In time, when the First Men lost their magical affinity with the Children, they train to carry messages on paper by runes, or by letters as spread by the coming of the Andals. 

According to the published chapter in the Winds of Winter, Some special Ravens can travel to different locations as they memorise it and can learn through the words of the Maesters, but most Ravens are trained to go to one place only. If you release it to it's cage, then it will go for ex. a Raven specifically brought up to King Landing will go to KL after you release him in Winterfell. Kind a like how people who have birds as pet they release their animals somewhere in the forest and their birds can go back to their home. In that sense, it means that only the wealthiest and most powerful houses can have Ravens. some houses may have Ravens going through Kings Landing only. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2015 at 1:34 PM, Lady Darry said:

1. You can't marry into royal family. You can only be born into royal family. which is why she kept her surname. You can't get a royal surname with marriage.

2. Robert is an usurper. Yes, his rebellion was legit (if you ask me, some posters believe it was not), but it was still a rebellion and he is still a usurper. A question of Dany's claim is very complicated. Robert became king, because his grand mother was a Targaryen (like Dany). His claim comes from the same family as Dany's claim. Before the rebellion Robert was 5th in line for the throne. His legitimacy is build on the fact that he was a cousin of king Aerys II. So if Stannis and Shireen dies, the crown goes to his closest family-Aegon Targaryen (in show it is Dany(and Jon)). They 'forgot' to mention in the show that they are related :)

If you ask Targaryen loyalist, Robert is an usurper and just like John Locke said: 'We might regard conquest as a kind of foreign usurpation of power and usurpation as a kind of domestic political conquest. However there is a major difference between the two in that some conquests may be just and lawful, usurpers can never have right on their side.' So Robert was never a lawful king.

Some say that Targaryens lost their claim entirely and that if Stannis and Shireen  die claim to the throne possibly goes to Edric Storm (or some other Targaryen relatives). Edric Storm is the only recognised bastard son of Robert. Gendry is not recognised, so he can't be in line for a throne. Edric Storm also can't be line for the throne, because he is still a bastard. And you have to legitimize a bastard (a bastard can't sit the Iron Throne without royal legitimization).

3. Littlefinger is a mystery. 

I do like this bit here about joining the Royal Family vs. being born into it. I’d have to look back in Game and Feast for how others refer to her, just to see, but I’m pretty sure Cersei uses her maiden name in the same way Kim Kardashian does. She’s the most beautiful woman in the 7 kingdom’s - especially with her husband dead she’s got no reason to use the Baratheon name.