Balticon 50: May 27-30, 2016, Baltimore, MD: GRRM GOH

As some of you already know, George is our Guest of Honor at next year's Balticon. John Picacio is the Art GOH. The website is currently under construction, so you can't yet register or book a hotel room through it (although both are possible in other ways). We expect it to go live sometime this week. Membership is currently $59 for all four days (this rate is good until 29 Feb.). We're moving to a new location, the Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel (a Marriott affiliate) at 202 E. Pratt St.

Since it's the 50th Balticon, we're trying to invite back those of our previous GOHs who are still among the living, and many have accepted (there will be a list on the website). In order to pay for this, we're asking for donations (tax deductible since we're a 501©3 non profit educational organization) and offering special benefits for our donors. One of these, at the $1000 level, will be a GAME OF THRONES themed banquet with George (and probably the other GOHs as well, but I'm not sure about that). Another (at a lower level) will be a signed copy of a new chapbook of a GRRM story (NOT GOT related, as far as I remember). Details of all of this will be on the website when it goes live realsoonnow.

I've been asked to arrange a GAME OF THRONES/SONG OF ICE AND FIRE track of programming (they said 10 hours total, but this will include the 2 hour "(Viewing) Party" on Sunday night, so I'll need 8 additional hours). I would be thrilled if someone (not me) from the BwB would step up to run the party. I figure we can watch a new episode if there is one, or just have a party if not. GoT hall costumes will be encouraged, and we might even give out prizes for the best ones.

I have some ideas of my own, but will happily accept suggestions from anyone in the BwB. I also need a few program participants to be on these panels. Anyone who participates in four or more hours of programming (not including readings and autographing sessions) is eligible for a free membership, and may purchase a membership for a significant other for $35 (half the at the door rate). If you're interested in participating in the program or if you have program ideas, please contact me at bucconeer(at)pipeline(dot)com.

Thanks to the Maid of Woodlynne for volunteering to take charge of the party. I'm still looking for program ideas (I need a total of 10 hours) and possibly a few good program participants. And I'm sure the Maid would like some help with the party.

Here are the potential program ideas I've come up with so far (not all of these will end up on the final program):

The Games of Thrones (1 hour – Gaming)
There’s a board game, a card game, a video game, an RPG, a MUD, and more. Panelists will tell you about their favorite games set in GRRM’s “A Song of Ice and Fire” universe.

The GAME OF THRONES (Viewing) Party (2 hours – Sunday 9-11 pm)
If HBO shows a new episode, we’ll watch it together (need HBO feed) and then discuss it afterwards. If not, we’ll just have a party. GoT costumes are welcome, and we could give a prize for the best one. If there’s no new episode, perhaps GRRM would like to provide commentary for one of the episodes he wrote (would need dvd projector).

Created religions in SFF (1 hour – Literary)
“A Song of Ice and Fire” has no fewer than six created religions. Other authors usually stick to one. What makes a religion seem “real?” Which created religions seem the most interesting? If you lived on Planetos, which religion would you follow. Why?

Gender and sexuality in Westeros (1 hour – Literary/Media)
GAME OF THRONES has been both lauded and criticised for its portrayal of women and alternate sexuality. Is it a feminist worldview or exploitive? Is the tv series different from the books in this regard? How do you think it could do better?

Game of Thrones Costuming Workshop (1 hours – Should be BEFORE the (Viewing) Party -- Costuming)
Make your own Game of Thrones costume for the party, or add details/accessories to an already begun costume.

The Art of Ice and Fire (1 hour – Art -- Should include John Picacio – Will need projector for PowerPoint)
A Song of Ice and Fire has inspired a myriad of visual arts. There are book covers, calendars, art for games, etc. Here’s a quick look at some of them.

A Game of Ice and Fire (1 hour – Literary/Media)
The HBO series has gone beyond the published books and diverged in many ways from GRRM’s story. We’ll discuss some of the differences, both good and bad, and make (almost certainly incorrect) predictions of what will happen in future episodes and books.

The Songs of Ice and Fire (1 hour -- Music)
There’s “The Raines of Castamere” and “The Dornishman’s Wife,” but fans have also created filk songs set in GRRM’s universe. We’ll sing some of them, and maybe create new ones. Has anyone filked “Little Lion Man” about Tyrion yet?

Parenting in Westeros (1 hour – Literary/Media)
There are a lot of parents and children in GAME OF THRONES/A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. Who have done the best and worst jobs of parenting? Is there anyone who would win “Father/Mother of the Year” or are they all terrible parents? And who is the absolute worst? Is it Stannis Baratheon, Cersei Lannister, Aerys Targaryan, Catelyn Stark, Roose Bolton, or someone else?

A few thoughts on the above posts.

"Since it's the 50th Balticon, we're trying to invite back those of our previous GOHs who are still among the living, and many have accepted (there will be a list on the website)."

I hope that this will not be limited to writer GOHs, and will also include artists and fans.

The Art of Ice and Fire (1 hour – Art -- Should include John Picacio – Will need projector for PowerPoint)

Why limit this to ASoIaF? How about covering other artwork related to GRRM's work? It's very likely that Raya Golden, who was a Hugo Nominee last year for her adaptation of his "Meathouse Man", will be present. She would be an excellent contributor. The same would be true for those of your past Art GoHs who have done work for George's material in magazines and on book covers.

Also, you might want to see if GRRM/Subterranean Press could provide a projector show of the artwork for their limited editions of his books.

A couple of the panels appear to cover both the books and the various spin-offs at the same time. I would recommend a clear topical separation of the two. My experience suggests that GRRM is more likely to be interested appearing on panels focusing on his own work, rather than those featuring derivative works written by others.

Also, though it's not tied to the specific program track being discussed here, do take note that Parris McBride-Martin, George's wife, will be attending. She's a long-time fan, with deep roots in Baltimore/DC fandom and experience with clubs, zines, and con-running. You should definitely consider taking advantage of her experience and knowledge for the fannish track.

AFAICT, we're not planning to invite back previous art GOHs. (I have nothing to do with this decision.) I also don't have much to do with the rest of the program, although I can pass along suggestions (or you can do that once the website is up and running). A lot of the program decisions will depend upon who is coming, which I don't know yet.

If Raya is invited as a program participant, that sounds like a good panel idea. If not, I'm not sure that there's anyone else attending who could cover non-ASoIaF art based on GRRM's works.

I'm fairly sure that if Parris wants to be on program, she will be.

Keep those ideas flowing! Thanks.

I plan on attending (with Aziz/History of Westeros), and I'm happy to help out with the party.

If you are looking for program participants, I'd be comfortable doing so, particularly in the Games of Ice and Fire panel, as I love playing the various games (including fan mods like the one for Crusader Kings 2, which is honestly the great ASOIAF game out there), and have modded the board game. Saying this, I can't help but wonder if the titles of 'The Game of Thrones' and 'The Game of Ice and Fire' panels might be a tad confusing, as people often use 'Games of Ice and Fire' for the many games based on the series.

I had a few other thoughts, I sent you a PM with them.

I plan on attending. I'm guessing a couple of my kids will be with me this time as well.  I'm still a newbie to the whole con experience (this will only be my second one), so I have no idea what I could possibly suggest. But do want to send a shout out to all those putting together what I expect should be a wonderful experience. :)

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

And...the Balticon 50 website is live! You still can't register for the con on line (but you can print out the registration form and mail it in if you don't want to wait), but we're working on it. If you go to the registration page and scroll down, you can see all the special membership packages that I mentioned earlier. The url is www.balticon.org.

As Perianne noted above, the Balticon 50 web site went live today.
Here's a link to the hotel info/reservation page, which is probably the most critical thing since, with GRRM as GoH, early reservations are a necessity.

I wouldn't say they're a necessity. The hotel is large, but, even if it were to sell out, there are LOTS of other hotels in the area. This was less true in Hunt Valley (although there were a few others), but the Inner Harbor is FILLED with hotels.

I wouldn't say they're a necessity. The hotel is large, but, even if it were to sell out, there are LOTS of other hotels in the area. This was less true in Hunt Valley (although there were a few others), but the Inner Harbor is FILLED with hotels.

Out in Hunt Valley, the price difference between the con hotel and nearby alternatives was not great, and many people even deliberately chose off-site hotels to save money.

While there are lots of other hotels in the Inner Harbor, as you say, I suspect that their rack-rate price is going to be noticeably higher than the con rate at the official hotel, especially on a long holiday weekend.

So I'll stand by my recommendation.

Also, Maryland Deathfest is the same weekend in Baltimore, primarily in Inner Harbor. It'll still be possible to find hotels, but the pressure on cheaper rooms in that area of town is pretty high that weekend. That said, one can usually get a room in Inner Harbor for $150/night. Not a great rate, but it's not blood money.

I plan on attending. I'm guessing a couple of my kids will be with me this time as well. 

Note that, in addition to whatever kids' programming is available at the con, you're within walking distance of both the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center.

Also nearby is the Geppi Entertainment Museum (http://www.geppismuseum.com/Home/7/1/52/500), if you're into comics. The Baltimore Maritime Museum (http://www.historicships.org/) sells a pass to all the old ships (including the submarine) and the lighthouse in the Inner Harbor. The American Visionary Art Museum (http://www.avam.org/) has really cool art by self-taught artists (no idea what they'll have by next May as there are no permanent exhibits. The Baltimore Civil War Museum (http://baltimore.org/listings/historic-sites/baltimore-civil-war-museum-president-street-station) is nearby, and on the (free) Charm City Circulator route (http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/).

A bit further afield, but reachable by transit, is the B & O Railroad Musuem (http://www.borail.org/), a must for train buffs. And the Walters Art Museum (https://www.thewalters.org/) is a world class art museum with a great collection of Asian art.

The Edgar Allan Poe House (http://www.poeinbaltimore.org/poe-house/) has fallen on hard times (not unlike its former occupant) but I believe it's open by appointment. It's in a dodgy neighborhood, and I don't think it's on the usual transit routes, so take that into account if you want to go there. Poe's grave is NOT at the house, but can also be visited.

Archived