Balticon 50: May 27-30, 2016, Baltimore, MD: GRRM GOH

A whole bunch of the ASoIaF Facebook group are going (about 14-20 at last count) and would be willing to pitch in and help arrange a party. We may even have a venue 10-15 mins from the convention hotel if it's not possible to organise one on-site.

3 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

$1000+ for dinner? Can I get a glimpse of the menu? 

The menu is supposed to be all Westeros cuisine, that much I know.

But the price tag is not merely for dinner. The event is a fund-raiser to help the con fulfill its goal of bringing back every living author GoH from the past as a part of their 50th Anniversary celebration.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2016 at 5:47 PM, Werthead said:

A whole bunch of the ASoIaF Facebook group are going (about 14-20 at last count) and would be willing to pitch in and help arrange a party. We may even have a venue 10-15 mins from the convention hotel if it's not possible to organise one on-site.

Hi!  Where exactly is this Facebook group?  I'd like to know who is going.  Perhaps some people would be willing to room share?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few more details about the Thursday banquet:

The Feast of Ice and Fire

An Evening With George R. R. Martin

Feast of Ice and Fire Dinner Companions will be seated for an exclusive dinner with George R. R. Martin on Thursday, May 26, 2016.

The menu for the evening encompasses offerings from the 7 Kingdoms of Westeros and includes selections for those desiring vegetarian and/or gluten-free options.

There will be seating for 36 Dinner Companions on the main dining floor and for 8 Ultimate Dinner Companions at the head table. George will be seated for the main course at the head table. Each table on the main dining floor will have one seat reserved for George R. R. Martin and he will be moving to a different table for each course.

This banquet is one of our most important fundraising projects for Balticon 50. Net proceeds from this project will be applied to the Balticon 50 Bring ‘Em Back project.

Sign up for the banquet when you pre-register for Balticon 50.  If you already registered but would like to attend the banquet, please contact [email protected] to upgrade your membership.

Ice and Fire Dinner Companion — $1,000 Minimum Donation

Ice and Fire Dinner Companion Membership includes full 4-day event membership, all of the Cool Stuff Ice and Fire Swag Bag Members get, plus:

• A matted color print of the Balticon 50 logo
  • A goblet etched or engraved with the Balticon 50 logo
  • A seat at The Feast of Ice and Fire.
  • A handmade textile dragon, available only to Dinner Companions!

Ice and Fire Ultimate Dinner Companion (8 available)

— $1,500 Minimum Donation

Ice and Fire Ultimate Dinner Companion Membership includes all of the above plus:

• A seat at the The Feast of Ice and Fire head table.
  • Gold leaf trim on the etched logo goblet
  • A custom frame included with the Balticon 50 color logo print

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2016 at 7:41 AM, Perrianne Lurie said:

And, we're still fundraising, so additional people could still be added to that list.

I am pleading with the Drowned God daily to safely send John Varley to Balticon.  I revere his work.  I've never had an opportunity to meet him.

Here's the latest Balticon news:

Pre-Balticon Banquet Demand Strong:

The Feast of Ice and Fire Dinner Companions memberships which include the Thursday night (5/26/16) banquet with George R. R. Martin have sold very well. All of the $1,500.00 spots are sold and the $1,000.00 spots are going fast according to a report by BSFS President Martin Deutsch. If you don't already have a Balticon membership you can get the Feast of Ice and Fire Dinner Companions membership at the same place you would buy a regular Balticon 50 membership at http://balticon.org/wp50/registration/   If you already have a Balticon 50 membership, but want to upgrade to attend the Feast of Ice and Fire send email to [email protected]  and let them know and they will fix you up. (decide soon if you want because going surprisingly fast)  Interest in the Feast of Ice and Fire exploded after the article about it in this months issue of Baltimore Magazine which you can read at http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/2016/2/26/game-of-thrones-creator-to-come-to-balticon-50
Balticon will be held May 27-30, 2016: details at www.balticon.org

Balticon Overflow Hotel Rooms:

We still have room at the overflow hotels  for Balticon weekend May 27-30, 2016 and are about to add a block of rooms at the Marriott Waterfront. (if they ever get us the booking link, which will go up on the website when available) Overflow room information can be found at http://balticon.org/wp50/hotel/

Discounted Parking Options:

You can buy a parking space in advance and have it reserved and ready for you when you arrive at the inner harbor near Balticon 50 through the website Parking Panda. Parking Panda is offering a 20% discount with promo code “BALTICON20” at checkout for members of Balticon. This means the prices on the Parking Panda interactive parking lot map will be reduced 20%, if you use the code at checkout for dates on our weekend. See Parking Panda at https://www.parkingpanda.com/balticon-parking?ref=balticon   Cancel the suggested parking pop-up and then enter the real times you want in the box at the upper left hand side of the page for a better fan friendly selection of times.   We also have a deal for parking in the works with another non-panda garage if they will ever get us the details.

I am pleading with the Drowned God daily to safely send John Varley to Balticon.  I revere his work.  I've never had an opportunity to meet him.

Somewhere, there was a list of the prior guests of honor we've been able to confirm, but I can't find it! :( I don't think Varley was one of them, but if you donate some money targeted to him, it would be more likely that he'll be there. I'm not convinced that the Drowned God has any sway (even though Baltimore is on the Chesapeake Bay) here.

On 7/23/2015 at 6:54 AM, Perrianne Lurie said:

Gender and sexuality in Westeros (1 hour – Literary/Media)
GAME OF THRONES has been both lauded and criticised for its portrayal of women and alternate sexuality. Is it a feminist worldview or exploitive? Is the tv series different from the books in this regard? How do you think it could do better?

A Game of Ice and Fire (1 hour – Literary/Media)
The HBO series has gone beyond the published books and diverged in many ways from GRRM’s story. We’ll discuss some of the differences, both good and bad, and make (almost certainly incorrect) predictions of what will happen in future episodes and books.

Of the panels, I would be willing to be on these. That pushes the amount of time I am spending working for my vacation con.

AB

On 3/9/2016 at 1:34 AM, Captain Esgred said:

According to the Baltimore Magazine article referenced in Perianne's post above, "In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Balticon will also welcome back guests of honor from past years including John Varley, Jody Lynn Nye, Jo Walton, and more."

23 hours ago, DaveAx said:

According to the Baltimore Magazine article referenced in Perianne's post above, "In celebration of its 50th anniversary, Balticon will also welcome back guests of honor from past years including John Varley, Jody Lynn Nye, Jo Walton, and more."

Just because they welcome him doesn't mean that he's coming.  He's only coming if they raise the airfare and hotel accommodations for both him and his lady.

I love how Perianne said the following, although I don't agree with her assessment of the power of my god:  "I'm not convinced that the Drowned God has any sway (even though Baltimore is on the Chesapeake Bay) here."

Here are a few more Balticon updates:

Mark Van Name is Toastmaster:

Balticon 50 is going over the top with our own Toastmaster. The impressive SF author Mark Van Name will bring his humor and spoken word skills to Balticon 50 as Toastmaster. Many SF fans will remember that his novel One Jump Ahead won the Compton Crook Award in 2008 and he is an ever popular guest at SF cons frequently leading humor panels.

Limited George R. R. Martin Book Illustrated by John Picacio, for Pre-Order:

Get your limited edition printing of In the House of the Worm, a novella previously written by Balticon 50 Guest of Honor George R. R. Martin, and newly illustrated by Artist Guest of Honor John Picacio.  This is not the graphic novel based on the story, but a new edition of his classic story. There will be a total of 500 books printed, signed by both the author and the artist.  The artwork is completely original, created especially for this book.  Books will be available for pickup at-con, or can be shipped after-con to those not attending Balticon 50. If you bought certain Balticon membership packages you may have a copy waiting at Balticon, but if not, or even if you are not a member of Balticon 50, you can still order a copy for only $40 plus 6% MD sales tax. The order process, form and more information at  http://balticon.org/wp50/making-it-happen/in-the-house-of-the-worm/

More Discounted Parking for Balticon 50:

Baltimore City Parking Authority has given us a discounted rate of $7.75 per day at the 414 Water Street garage, about three blocks north from the main hotel. Use the link http://baltimoreparking.com/parking-lot/414-water-street-parking/ to view and buy. Passes are valid 4:00 PM Friday (May 27) through 11:59pm Monday (May 30). No in-and-out. This is a pre-paid online offer only. You cannot just drive up and get this rate. Use discount code “balticon16”  You must purchase your passes one at a time. Purchase your Friday pass, check out, and create an account. Then use this account to purchase your Saturday pass, and then check out. Then use this account to purchase your Sunday pass, and check out. Then use this account to purchase your Monday pass, and check out.

More Overflow Hotel Rooms:

Baltimore Marriott Waterfront at 700 Aliceanna Street Baltimore, MD 21202 (3050 ft East and then south from entrance of main hotel) King Beds. $149.00 per night. To make reservations use link and instructions on http://balticon.org/wp50/hotel/

Annoyingly, this now looks doubtful for me. I have the flights covered (very kindly) but the cost of everything else is now looking insurmountable, since I got made redundant at the end of January and have only had temp work since. I might just about have been able to have done the con on a shoestring as long as I just went to it and flew home, but for the flight times and stress it's really not a goer for me.

If I can get something in the next couple of weeks and turn things around, I'll still be along but it seems a bit unlikely at the moment. Bah.

On 1/24/2016 at 3:57 PM, Werthead said:

Unexpectedly, I will be attending! :)

Awesome

On 1/26/2016 at 4:47 PM, Werthead said:

I finally got details nailed down with the ConCom and will be throwing a NOLA 2018 party on Friday night from 7-1.  I have to leave Saturday due to work obligations.  Please come by and see me.

Perrianne, I hope we have time to meet.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:22 AM, Lily Valley said:

Awesome

I finally got details nailed down with the ConCom and will be throwing a NOLA 2018 party on Friday night from 7-1.  I have to leave Saturday due to work obligations.  Please come by and see me.

Perrianne, I hope we have time to meet.

I will almost certainly drop by the NOLA party (I'm a friend of the bid). Save me one of the fleur de lis dragon shirts in a medium (they ran out of my size at Lunacon).

On 1/26/2016 at 5:00 PM, Lady Gwynhyfvar said:

Since our earlier post was lost in the upgrade, for what it's worth I'll be there with yolkboy

Not at the $1000 dinner table though :( 

Hey there. I came across this thread while poking around bored-style.

I happen to be attending Balticon and I happen to also be attending the donation dinner with the George. I am a huge fan of RW and would be happy to try and work a question or two in for you  if you don't yet have any other barker champions. You may already have a "press pass" or the equivalent, but I just wanted to throw this out there. I will be your eye in the pie!:cheers:

I started a thread asking what others would ask, and do have a few questions of my own, but I am always reorganizing what I think will 1) actually have a chance of being answered, 2) get the best answers for the limited time buck. IF you have a question or two, private message me or post it here

On 3/21/2016 at 7:10 AM, Perrianne Lurie said:

I will almost certainly drop by the NOLA party (I'm a friend of the bid). Save me one of the fleur de lis dragon shirts in a medium (they ran out of my size at Lunacon).

Well, when Perrianne, Lily and I are at the Balticon NOLA party, it could provide fertile ground for one of those traditional jokes, "A doctor, a professor and a lawyer walked up to the bar . . . "   ;)

On March 29, 2016 at 9:31 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Hey there. I came across this thread while poking around bored-style.

I happen to be attending Balticon and I happen to also be attending the donation dinner with the George. I am a huge fan of RW and would be happy to try and work a question or two in for you  if you don't yet have any other barker champions. You may already have a "press pass" or the equivalent, but I just wanted to throw this out there. I will be your eye in the pie!:cheers:

Why thank you for that! We're hoping for a Q&A and will be coming up with some questions to pose in the event we get a chance. We may or may not be on a panel, but will definitely be in attendance at every ASoIaF related event. Hope we get a chance to say hello :)

I tried to post this last week, but I've been unable to get on the board until now:

Balticon 50 More Alumni-GOHS Confirmed:

Thanks to a donation from the SF Con Arisia (Boston Area) to our Bring them Back Fund, the following Alumni-Guests-of-Honor authors have been confirmed as fully funded and coming to Balticon 50… Allen Steele, Steve Barnes and Tananarive Due, Phil & Kaja Foglio. Arisia makes donations to a variety of SF cultural events and we thank them for "voting with their dollars" for Balticon 50. 

Updated Parking and Restaurant Info on Website:

Food Offers at
http://balticon.org/wp50/hotel/local-restaurants-attractions-and-discounts/
Parking offers at http://balticon.org/wp50/hotel/parking-information/

More information about enhancing your Balticon 50 experience will be added as we get it.

Correction on Banquet:

Last time I reported on banquet availability for the Feast of Fire and Ice to be held with George R. R. Martin on Thursday May 26, 2016 the concept of minimum number of seats needed for the event was misconstrued with maximum number of seats available by the person quoted. So, although we are doing well, it was not quite as full as that report implied. Sorry about that. All of the ultimate dinner spots are gone which is pretty amazing. We still have a good number of the Ice and Fire Dinner Companion spots available. Check out the stuff you get with the Ice and Fire Dinner Companion seat  at
http://balticon.org/wp50/making-it-happen/the-feast-of-ice-and-fire/

Martin Book Still Available:

The limited edition, signed by George R. R. Martin and Artist John Picacio, In the House of the Worm book  is still available even to those who can not attend Balticon this year. Check out details at http://balticon.org/wp50/making-it-happen/in-the-house-of-the-worm/

Fund Raising Effort:

We are at 58% ($43,284.00) of the original Bring Them Back Fund Goal with all of those funds dedicated to create an event enhanced beyond the normal Balticon experience.

Archived