Balticon 50: May 27-30, 2016, Baltimore, MD: GRRM GOH

Note that, in addition to whatever kids' programming is available at the con, you're within walking distance of both the National Aquarium and the Maryland Science Center.

Thanks DaveAx,

Silly me, I guess I should clarify that my "kids"  are all adults. :) The youngest being 24.

No need for a hotel for me.  I'll just shoot down the JFX/83.  Shouldn't take but 20 mins. or so for me to get there each day. Parking might be another story. Maybe I'll just take  the light rail. :dunno:

I'm actually surprised that we haven't gotten the on line registration working yet. I'm 99.999% certain that we plan to, but I don't know when.

I also don't know if the chapbooks will be available for sale at the con. I suspect it depends upon how many are scarfed up by the supporters. I think that if we have any left, we'll offer them for sale.

We have a committe meeting on Saturday, and I'll ask. No guarantee that I'll have answers, but I'll ask the questions.

I'm actually surprised that we haven't gotten the on line registration working yet. I'm 99.999% certain that we plan to, but I don't know when.

I also don't know if the chapbooks will be available for sale at the con. I suspect it depends upon how many are scarfed up by the supporters. I think that if we have any left, we'll offer them for sale.

We have a committe meeting on Saturday, and I'll ask. No guarantee that I'll have answers, but I'll ask the questions.

Thanks. Looking over the options, it seems as though a total 400 memberships offer the chapbook. That leaves 100 copies of the 500. 

I am concerned about how those who bought memberships in advance at the last Balticon will be able to "upgrade" to the various enhanced categories. If online registration is opened before this aspect of the situation is resolved, it is possible that some of the limited-count options will be sold out.

On line registration is up and running! I'm sure that if you preregistered at last year's Balticon and want to upgrade your membership, you can do it. Just e-mail [email protected] and ask them how to do it.

There will be 100 chapbooks available for preorder outside of the special membership packages. Any of these, or the other 400, that don't sell in advance will be available for purchase at Balticon.

In (viewing) party news, we should be able to designate the room as a "hospitality" area, allowing us to bring in whatever snacks we want. The hotel's electrical system won't support electrical appliances, nor can we have open flames, but sterno would be okay. As far as alcohol goes, we need a licensed bartender, but can probably get the hotel to set up a cash bar if we're not close to the regular hotel bar. I'm still not certain what room we'll be in, so this is all tentative right now. Once the hotel tells us where we can get HBO, we'll be better set up to figure this out.

Balticon does not have an attendence cap. There are still plenty of hotel rooms available in the Rennaissance on the peak nights, although perhaps not on the "shoulder" nights (Wed, Thurs, Mon). If the hotel were to sell out, there are tons of other hotels in the Inner Harbor. I suppose the fire marshall has rules about maximum occupancy in the function rooms, but I don't really think that will be a problem.

• 3 months later...

Just a quick update on the Thursday night banquet:

Balticon Fire And Ice Feast Moves Forward:

If you have not heard about the fantastic Banquet planned for Thursday Night 5/26/2016 (right before Balticon Friday traditional start) with G. R. R. Martin then read about it at   and remember the funds go to helping us pay for that insanely great SF Author lineup so so you can feel great that you made it happen.

We have a hotel walk through and committee meeting this Saturday, so I may have more news after that.

We had a hotel walkthrough on Saturday, and I was able to see the main ballroom. We'll be able get HBO in the "main tent," which should seat around 500 people, for the Game of Thrones episode (if there is one), and are planning to use a neighboring section of the ballroom (which can probably hold around 350 if set up recption style with cocktail rounds) for the "party" part of the viewing party. There will be a stage already set up in that room, so if we wanted to have a hall costume contest, they could parade across it. We have access to the party room at 8, and it will already have been set up in reception mode, so this should be plenty of time to decorate, even if you want to watch the episode at 9.

Here's some general Balticon News:

Balticon Main Hotel Block Full:

The sleeping room block in the  Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel for Balticon 50 is full. We have sold more hotel rooms than ever before. The Hotel is full outside the block as well. (likely with Balticon people pretending to have a business need to stay and having their employer pick up the tab)  I (Dale) have secured overflow blocks at two hotels and have a third pending the hotel counter signing the contract. The overflow hotels will go up on the website soon.

There's a real crunch on rooms with two beds (a convention at the convention center seems to have gobbled them all up), but if you want a room with a king bed, there should be plenty available.

Our program chair promises that the list of program ideas for participants to pick from should be available this week, but I'm not holding my breath. She also thinks the program will be "nailed down" by 31 January, but I don't really believe it.

We're also getting ready to announce that we have sufficient funding (so far) to bring back six of our previous guests of honor. The names should become public soon. And we're still fundraising, so additional people could still be added to that list.

If you have not heard about the fantastic Banquet planned for Thursday Night 5/26/2016 (right before Balticon Friday traditional start) with G. R. R. Martin then read about it at   and remember the funds go to helping us pay for that insanely great SF Author lineup so so you can feel great that you made it happen.

There's no link in the post, Perianne...

The general Balticon site is here:
http://balticon.org/wp50/

The hotel information is here:
http://balticon.org/wp50/hotel/
(just scroll down past the information about the con hotel to find the overflow hotels)

The banquet information is here:
http://balticon.org/wp50/making-it-happen/the-feast-of-ice-and-fire/

I'd post the links to the information about the guests, but it's not posted yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived