The books coming out in 2016

AncalagonTheBlack

Correction: The title now,according to amazon uk is : The Path of the Hawk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Path-Hawk-Ian-Graham/dp/0356506932/

Update:

Looks like Orbit will first release this in 2 parts as ebooks and then as paperback omnibus.The Path of the Hawk: Book One (26 Jan. 2016) and The Path of the Hawk: Book Two (23 Feb. 2016).Omnibus to follow in June.

Blurb:

The Hawks are the Pilgrim Church's elite regiment, soldiers entrusted with missions far beyond the scope of the conventional army.

Blessed Master Helligraine - one of the Church's highest ranking, most beloved holy men, was abducted one year ago, his corpse found rotting in a river. When evidence emerges that Helligraine is still alive and being held against his will, three Hawks are dispatched to bring him home.

But Helligraine's past - and present - is not what it seems, and two nations are drawn into a conflict whose seeds were sown millennia ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Path-Hawk-Book-One-ebook/dp/B010PIG122/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Path-Hawk-Book-Two-ebook/dp/B010PIG15E/

Blurb for Claire North's Forget Me Not:

Listen.
All the world forgets me. First my face, then my voice, then the consequences of my deeds.
So listen. Remember me.

My name is Hope Ardern, and you won't know who I am. We've met before - a thousand times. But I am the girl the world forgets.

It started when I was sixteen years old. A slow declining, an isolation, one piece at a time.

A father forgetting to drive me to school. A mother setting the table for three, not four. A teacher who forgets to chase my missing homework. A friend who looks straight through me and sees a stranger.

No matter what I do, the words I say, the people I hurt, the crimes I commit - you will never remember who I am.

That makes my life tricky. But it also makes me dangerous . . .

Forget Me Not is the tale of the girl no one remembers. But this gripping story - of love and loss, of hope and despair, of living in the moment and dying to leave a mark - is novel that will stay with you for ever.

Blurb for Down Station by Simon Morden

Award-winning author Simon Morden joins Gollancz with a stunning SF quest across a vast world that mirrors every London ever built.

A small group of commuters and tube workers witness a fiery apocalypse overtaking London. They make their escape through a service tunnel. Reaching a door they step through...and find themselves on a wild shore backed by cliffs and rolling grassland. The way back is blocked. Making their way inland they meet a man dressed in a wolf's cloak and with wolves by his side. He speaks English and has heard of a place called London - other people have arrived here down the ages - all escaping from a London that is burning. None of them have returned. Except one - who travels between the two worlds at will. The group begin a quest to find this one survivor; the one who holds the key to their return and to the safety of London.

And as they travel this world, meeting mythical and legendary creatures,split between North and South by a mighty river and bordered by The White City and The Crystal Palace they realise they are in a world defined by all the London's there have ever been.

Reminiscent of Michael Moorcock and Julian May this is a grand and sweeping science fantasy built on the ideas, the legends, the memories of every London there has ever been.

Blurb for Occupy Me by Tricia Sullivan

An Arthur C. Clarke Award-winning author, a search not for who you are but what you are, a stunning revelation about the Universe and our place in it.

A woman with wings that exist in another dimension. A man trapped in his own body by a killer. A briefcase that is a door to hell. A conspiracy that reaches beyond our world. Breathtaking SF from a Clarke Award-winning author.

Tricia Sullivan has written an extraordinary, genre defining novel that begins with the mystery of a woman who barely knows herself and ends with a discovery that transcends space and time. On the way we follow our heroine as she attempts to track down a killer in the body of another man, and the man who has been taken over, his will trapped inside the mind of the being that has taken him over.

And at the centre of it all a briefcase that contains countless possible realities.

Tricia Sullivan returns to the genre with a book that will define the conversation within the genre and will show what it is capable of for years to come. This is the best book yet from a writer of exceedingly rare talent who is much loved in the genre world.

Blurb for The Thing Itself by Adam Roberts

It seems we are alone in the Universe. How can that be? Adam Roberts brings his own unique literary take to Science Fiction's greatest question.

Adam Roberts turns his attention to answering the Fermi Paradox with a taut and claustrophobic tale that echoes John Carpenters' The Thing.

Two men while away the days in an Antarctic research station. Tensions between them build as they argue over a love-letter one of them has received. One is practical and open. The other surly, superior and obsessed with reading one book - by the philosopher Kant.

As a storm brews and they lose contact with the outside world they debate Kant, reality and the emptiness of the universe. The come to hate each other, and they learn that they are not alone.

I know that the only hardcover editions of The Dagger and the Coin series are book club editions. I've purchased a HC of The Dragons Path a few years past thru Ebay and would like to get my hands on a HC of The Spiders War come March. Any ideas on how I'd go about that, without having to deal with ebay?

Science Fiction Book Club stopped issuing hardcovers of the Dagger and the Coin series after Book 2 - for example, there are no hardcovers for Books 3 and 4 of the series. It's a real shame - I would love to see them in hardcover. 

Science Fiction Book Club stopped issuing hardcovers of the Dagger and the Coin series after Book 2 - for example, there are no hardcovers for Books 3 and 4 of the series. It's a real shame - I would love to see them in hardcover.

That really is a shame. They're fantastic books imo that deserve HC. TDP was still as engrossing as I remember, I still feel Geder is one of the best written protagonists I've read. I found myself agreeing with why and how he left Vanai.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 01:48 AM

I know that the only hardcover editions of The Dagger and the Coin series are book club editions. I've purchased a HC of The Dragons Path a few years past thru Ebay and would like to get my hands on a HC of The Spiders War come March. Any ideas on how I'd go about that, without having to deal with ebay?

1.Find the ISBN for the bookclub hardcover editions and do a search on ABEbooks.  Find the vendor and price you prefer and knock yourself out.

2.ask your query in the Dagger and Coin thread since other fans there might have a better idea than this one devoted to 2016 releases?

Has anyone already mentioned Arcadia by Iain Pears?  Out in the U.S. February 16th?

Blurb:

In 1960, Henry Lytten is an Oxford don who dabbles in espionage and fiction writing. Rosie Wilson is the quick-witted, curious fifteen-year-old girl who feeds Professor Lytten's cat. Several hundred years in the future, living in a dystopian society on the Island of Mull, Angela Meerson is a psychomathematician who has discovered the world-changing potential of a powerful new machine. Somewhere, sometime, Jay is a scholar's apprentice in an idyllic, pastoral land. Who these people really are, and how their stories come together, will be revealed in Iain Pears's fascinating puzzle of a novel.

Excerpted from http://www.tor.com/2015/09/03/vampires-the-feds-and-melissa-f-olson/:

Tor.com Publishing is delighted to welcome Melissa F. Olson to the family!

Best known for her Scarlett Bernard series of urban fantasies, Melissa has written a short novel for Tor.com that plays to all her strengths—genuinely vicious vampires, frantic action sequences and brilliantly-drawn characters.

Nightshades is a Chicago-based FBI procedural. Children are going missing at a worrying rate, and Agents are being routinely slaughtered; the recently-outed vampire community are under suspicion. The new Special Agent in charge of the investigation has put his reputation—and his life—on the line. He’s going to need some unlikely allies to get to the truth and find the kids, before it’s too late.

Nightshades will be published in the summer of 2016.

1.Find the ISBN for the bookclub hardcover editions and do a search on ABEbooks.  Find the vendor and price you prefer and knock yourself out.

2.ask your query in the Dagger and Coin thread since other fans there might have a better idea than this one devoted to 2016 releases?

Has anyone already mentioned Arcadia by Iain Pears?  Out in the U.S. February 16th?

Blurb:

In 1960, Henry Lytten is an Oxford don who dabbles in espionage and fiction writing. Rosie Wilson is the quick-witted, curious fifteen-year-old girl who feeds Professor Lytten's cat. Several hundred years in the future, living in a dystopian society on the Island of Mull, Angela Meerson is a psychomathematician who has discovered the world-changing potential of a powerful new machine. Somewhere, sometime, Jay is a scholar's apprentice in an idyllic, pastoral land. Who these people really are, and how their stories come together, will be revealed in Iain Pears's fascinating puzzle of a novel.

My Question was answered, and why wouldn't I ask a question about a book coming out in 2016 in a 2016 book release thread?

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Blade-Files-Justis-Fearsson/dp/1476781257/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1441511703&sr=8-1&keywords=Shadow%27s+Blade+%28Case+Files+of+Justis+Fearsson%29

Shadow's Blade by David B. Coe May 3, 2016

"Book #3 in The Case Files of Justis Fearsson, the critically acclaimed contemporary fantasy series from fantasy all-star David B. Coe. A hardboiled, magic-using private detective fights dark sorcerers in Phoenix, Arizona.

Justis Fearsson is a weremyste and a private detective. He wields potent magic, but every month, on the full moon, he loses his mind. His battles with insanity have already cost him his job as a cop; he can’t afford to let them interfere with his latest case.

Phoenix has become ground zero in a magical war, and an army of werecreatures, blood sorcerers, and necromancers has made Jay its number one target. When he is hired to track down a woman who has gone missing with her two young children, he has a hunch that the dark ones are to blame. But then he’s also brought in by the police to help with a murder investigation, and all the evidence implicates this same woman. Soon he is caught up in a deadly race to find not only the young family, but also an ancient weapon that could prove decisive in the looming conflict. Can he keep himself alive long enough to reach the woman and her kids before his enemies do? And can he claim the weapon before the people he loves, and the world he knows, are lost in a storm of flame, blood, and darkest sorcery?"

Canongate has acquired The High Mountains of Portugal, the new novel by Man Booker Prize winner Yann Martel for publication in February 2016.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Mountains-Portugal-Novel/dp/0812997174/

The author of the bestselling Life of Pi returns to the storytelling power and luminous wisdom of his master novel.

The High Mountains of Portugal is a story about love, loss, and faith that take us on a mesmerizing journey through the last century. Told in three intersecting narratives—part quest, part ghost story, part contemporary realism—the novel begins in the early 1900s, when a young man named Tomás discovers in the archives of Lisbon an ancient journal describing an extraordinary artifact that he believes will challenge the church’s understanding of religion forever and sets out for the High Mountains of Portugal in search of it. Thirty-five years later, a pathologist devoted to the murder mysteries of Agatha Christie is drawn into the consequences of Tomás’s quest as he finds himself at the center of a murder story. And fifty years after that, Senator Peter Tovy of Ottawa, grieving the death of his beloved wife, rescues a chimpanzee from an Oklahoma research facility and takes it to live with him in his ancestral village in northern Portugal, where the strands of all three stories come together.

Filled with tenderness, humor, and endless surprise, Yann Martel’s new novel offers a haunting exploration of great love and great loss, asking questions about faith and the lack of faith that are at the heart of all his novels.

My Question was answered, and why wouldn't I ask a question about a book coming out in 2016 in a 2016 book release thread?

Sorry, I couldn't tell since you were asking if you wanted just the next book since the last couple the club didn't seem to offer.  I was thinking ABEbooks since Library editions an either be bound or libraries have softcovers bound.  Some rather nicely as i have found.  But since you were answered to your satisfaction I won't bother with the links.  My bad all around I guess.

Anyhow.  Dexter Palmer has a new book coming out.  I've two different blurbs on it and it sounds like it could be speculative in nature.

Version Control (out February 23rd)

Canongate has acquired The High Mountains of Portugal, the new novel by Man Booker Prize winner Yann Martel for publication in February 2016.

http://www.amazon.com/High-Mountains-Portugal-Novel/dp/0812997174/

Very interesting.

Two other mainstream writers who have books coming out in the first half of 2016 that I am interested in are Eowyn Ivey( The Snow Child) and Helen Simonson ( Major Pettigrew's Last stand).

I wonder if we will get Justin Cronin's 3rd and final book as well.

I wonder if we will get Justin Cronin's 3rd and final book as well.

To those of you wondering when that ENORMOUS pile of paper called The City of Mirrors will become a hard rectangular object for sale on the shelves of America and elsewhere: spring '16, or so they tell me.

Has anyone heard any news about Karen Miller's The Tarnished Crown series? I've been having a nose around online and couldn't find anything at all beyond a brief mention of the paperback version of The Falcon Throne being released a couple of months ago. The first book didn't wow me exactly, but I was still curious to know if there had been any updates on the second book. (I know it's only a year since the first book was released but win news of 2016 releases already I thought something might have been known)

Blurb:

Will the movie adaptation also start Tom Hanks and Halle Berry :/

Archived