Rollback and Future Upgrade

Ran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, apologies. WE did our backup yesterday. Today we're going to get it all running on the other server, get that upgraded to 4, and then start it on the process of reformatting posts for the new software. That will take several days, maybe a week.

So anything posted yesterday, to the time we announce the upgrade being completed, should be saved manually (i.e. copied into a file) if its content matters to anyone. It won't be transferred over... provided the upgrade actually works. If not, we'll announce it.

They would be...

However, due to yet more unforseen difficulties, we've scrapped it again and will be doing a fresh upgrade. All content to the present time, and to the time of the new backup -- in about one hour -- will be imported to the updated server (*knock on wood*), but all content between now and the opening of that forum (hopefully within a week *knock on wood again*) will be lost.

From reading accounts on Invision's customer forum, a lot of people spent a month between backing up and upgrading, and basically just considered the month lost a wash. I simply can't see deliberately dumping that much content, though, hence this rather fitful and maddening upgrade process. Some of the failures have been our own errors, others have been problems with the software, but we'll keep at it until we get it right.

I just wanted to say you have my sympathy; computers only seem to get more and more frustrating and unreliable as the become more complex. 

I got a little peak and the new skin when you guys activated for a few hours last month, and it look sensational, so I am really excited for it whenever it gets sorted out... seems like it will be worth it.  

I'll cross my fingers for you and burn some sacred herbs to drive away the computer demons.  :thumbsup:

Would it be inappropriate to point out the irony of the situation? I mean, somebody putting loads of effort into something we all know and love (and doing a great job at it!), promising that the expected "delivery" of the Next Big Thing will happen "soon", but with unfortunate and unforeseen delays time and time again, and the process becoming more complex than they originally envisioned? It sounds like something I've heard before...

Back then, the end result was great, though, well worth the wait and leaving us eager for more. So I have faith in you!

For the next one, maybe you should announce it only when it's finished? That way, fans won't nag you as much about it, and you won't feel bad promising dates and then having to set them back.

Edited by Kyll.Ing.