Is discussing the R+L=J theory a spoiler if you have not read the books?

RedShirt47

I'm just back from a family wedding where I was speaking with quite a few friends and family who are show only fans. After a few drinks I was explaining R+L=J based off the clues in the show this season. None of them had a clue about it before I explained it. None of them complained about me discussing this but I did wonder after if I had been spoiling folk?

Should I really be introducing unsullied to such theories, even if I'm only using show based hints and clues?

I'm a show watcher and only read the first two books. To me (and this is just my opinion) Jon's mother, assuming it's L, isnt that hard to figure out. I wouldn't have guessed R being his father as just a show watcher because Tower of Joy and all the events there wasn't talked about much beyond the first few episodes of season 1. I was convinced [spoiler]Robert Baratheon [/spoiler] was his dad.

I mentioned it offhandedly, accidentally to my brother and he was really not pleased with me, haha. Anothwr friend was thrilled to hear about it. I think it depends on the person.

But IMO it's NOT a spoiler technically, because however solid the theory is, it is still a theory.

All the information about Jon's parents are in a chapter in the first book after Ned is wounded by Jamie's man outside Littlefinger's brothel.

It never mentions Jon, but all the information in that chapter is evidence as to who they are, and what that makes Jon.

At this point..... ? I don't know.... were they excited to get the info? 

As much a they talked about Rhaegar this season, no. I don't think it's a spoiler.

Besides, many people who are paying attention to the show, and to how Sean Bean plays Ned, had a hard time wrapping their heads around Ned cheating on Cat. At least I and my Unsullied friends did. Then after season 1 finished, I started reading the books, and was so RELIEVED to figure out I wasn't crazy for feeling the Ned would never cheat on Cat, yet it made all the sense in the world that he would lie to protect his family, even if that hurt Cat. She was alive, and that was the important part.

I love the way GRRM dropped those breadcrumbs. 

i have spoken about it with some of my unsullied friends, they all seemed pleased, when i discuss with them about the show, i always ask them (being a book reader) if they dont mind if i explain some things they may have not notice or things that just wasnt portrayed in the show... 

People really need to stop wetting themselves over spoilers already. You guys have become a meme at this point you do know that right? Seriously reasonable adults are so tired of hearing this bit that you've become a joke to them and rightly so. No one is required to baby proof the world for you.

I'm a show watcher and only read the first two books. To me (and this is just my opinion) Jon's mother, assuming it's L, isnt that hard to figure out. I wouldn't have guessed R being his father as just a show watcher because Tower of Joy and all the events there wasn't talked about much beyond the first few episodes of season 1. I was convinced [spoiler]Robert Baratheon [/spoiler] was his dad.

Most of the clues for R÷L=J are in the first book.

I do wonder whether D&D put Sansa in Winterfell for the purpose of the seen with Littlefinger in the crypts as a way to put the history of R+L into viewers minds. I don't think it's a spoiler, until it's confirmed it's still a theory in the end

That would be too absurd even for D&D. At least I can understand their mentality in completely derailing Sansa's character development, writing a nonsensical plot, messing up the characterizations of Sansa, Littlefinger and Roose and the entire Northern plot and destroying Sansa's arc  if it's because they really wanted Sansa to be raped by Ramsay for shock value, which they more or less admitted, if not in so many words.

The idea that they did all that just to get a piece of exposition in the mouth of someone who had no business telling that story in the first place (Littlefinger) to Sansa, who did not need to be the recipient of that story, in a place that did not have to be the place where that story is told, and that they only put Sansa in Winterfell for that, and had her married to Ramsay and raped the whole season, even though she could have been in Winterfell without being married to or raped by Ramsay... that makes zero sense. Actually, the number that shows how probable that is would be in the negatives.

Anybody could have told this story - and many people would make a lot more sense as the storyteller than Littlefinger - to anyone, anywhere.

That would be too absurd even for D&D. At least I can understand their mentality in completely derailing Sansa's character development, writing a nonsensical plot, messing up the characterizations of Sansa, Littlefinger and Roose and the entire Northern plot and destroying Sansa's arc  if it's because they really wanted Sansa to be raped by Ramsay for shock value, which they more or less admitted, if not in so many words.

The idea that they did all that just to get a piece of exposition in the mouth of someone who had no business telling that story in the first place (Littlefinger) to Sansa, who did not need to be the recipient of that story, in a place that did not have to be the place where that story is told, and that they only put Sansa in Winterfell for that, and had her married to Ramsay and raped the whole season, even though she could have been in Winterfell without being married to or raped by Ramsay... that makes zero sense. Actually, the number that shows how probable that is would be in the negatives.

Anybody could have told this story - and many people would make a lot more sense as the storyteller than Littlefinger - to anyone, anywhere.

Possibly, I can just see D&D thinking they wanted to recant the story to a Stark, with said Starks stating how Rheagar kidnapped and Raped Lyanna. It couldn't be Bran because they left him out, Ayra doesn't have anyone around her who would tell her the story as they want her to forget her identity, Rickon's missing and probably too young to have known what happened and Jon doesn't really have a reason to bring it up. I can just see a production meeting where D&D explain how they want to have Sansa visit her father's tomb while telling Littlefinger who they are. Littlefinger tells a story of how he saw her once at the tourney of Harrenhal and crowned Lyanna queen of love and beauty. Sansa then goes on to tell what she has been told of R+L (the kidnap and rape) thus showing the audience that it is possible R+L had a child. Yes others could have talked about it, but I'm not sure why they would, I suppose Tyrion could have spoken to Dany about it.

I think one of D&D's mistakes was that Lyanna hasn't been mentioned since season 1 (I think) and Rheagar only rarely. We've all seen posts saying that the show had to cut characters because people wouldn't remember them after a couple of seasons off air, yet they're going to remember a name spoken a half dozen times?

People really need to stop wetting themselves over spoilers already. You guys have become a meme at this point you do know that right? Seriously reasonable adults are so tired of hearing this bit that you've become a joke to them and rightly so. No one is required to baby proof the world for you.

forgot your chill pill?

Archived