Netflix's new drama: 'Narcos' (starring Oberyn Martell + Capitão Nascimento)

AncalagonTheBlack

That.....was amazing.

Binged watched it all in 2 days. And i agree with the comment about not showing anybody as the true "hero", they all did pretty horrible things even if it was in their mind, the right thing to do. 

Just overall a fantastic show.

I finished watching Narcos last night.

Excellent, all around.

One of the elements I liked most about the series is what the creators did not do: show any of the figures, whether they were criminals or DEA, as particularly sympathetic, with whom one does hero-identification.

If there were any real heroes in any sense at all they were the two presidential candidates, and some of the national court's judges -- when have we seen that lately?

I dunno. I think hero-identification was in full swing with 

[spoiler] Colonel Carillo.

[/spoiler]

It also shows how one cannot be immersed in that kind of violence and money without it affecting one's own capacity for violence and need to ignore laws, because one believes that obeying the laws will let the bad guys operate freely forever.  Catch 22 of law enforcement and bad guys.

You can see why they picked the director and actor they did, the stuff the cops do is essentially Tropa De Elite write large (except with a lot more holes and speeding forward then papering over it with narration)

I thought the first 8 episodes were perfect (once you're somewhat used to the overdone voice over). I have rarely seen something as intense, it keeps getting bigger and bigger. Truly epic (I didn't think the Escobar war was of that scale, I can't thank my ignorance enough, I enjoyed the show way more than if I really knew).

But then, the last two were a bit of a let down. A no-ending. They should have just added two or three episodes this season and closed the Escobar chapter.

I dunno. I think hero-identification was in full swing with 

[spoiler] Colonel Carillo.

[/spoiler]

You can see why they picked the director and actor they did, the stuff the cops do is essentially Tropa De Elite write large (except with a lot more holes and speeding forward then papering over it with narration)

Yah --  :agree:   I went into a bit more detail on that aspect in another place.  And, as well, this person:

[spoiler]Luis Carlos Galán -- he and Carillo's incorruptibles were even larger than heroes: they were martyrs for their country.[/spoiler]

I've haven't watched Tropa De Elite.  I hadn't even heard of it until notices about Narcos began to arrive in the media.

That was fantastic. For some reason, I was under the impression it was only going to be a 10-episode series. I was curious as to how they were going to rap up the story in the last episode; I expected a time jump with narration. I am pleased to see we can expect more episodes. I was very impressed with Wagner Moura.

That was fantastic. For some reason, I was under the impression it was only going to be a 10-episode series. I was curious as to how they were going to rap up the story in the last episode; I expected a time jump with narration. I am pleased to see we can expect more episodes. I was very impressed with Wagner Moura.

Funny, didn't know until you posted this.

I was wondering why the ending made no sense to me, thinking it was just a 10 episode series.

Damn just watched episode 6&7 and wow I also was ignorant to just how much of a terror Escobar was.

Yeah, me too. Popular culture has a way of white washing people over time, even guys like Pablo Escobar. 

But damn...even the palace of justice part, was insane. 

I thought I was watching Fantasy, seriously. Even in Fantasy, you don't get that stuff.

Funny how the real world is crazier that one's wildest imaginations.

Yeah, if a random show did a scene like that, i would be calling bullshit and saying it's impossible.

Crazyness.

I highly recommend watching a documentary or two on Pablo: Killing Pablo, Pablo Escobar: The King of Coke. There is also a documentary where Pablo's son tells his story: Sins of My Father. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Yah -- we all got to keep in mind Narcos isn't journalism or a documentary even, but fiction drama.  Historical fiction drama.  

:cheers:

In this weather we're having at the end of summer here, those beers they all were drinking in Narcos sure did look good. :)

Yah --  :agree:   I went into a bit more detail on that aspect in another place.  And, as well, this person:

[spoiler]Luis Carlos Galán -- he and Carillo's incorruptibles were even larger than heroes: they were martyrs for their country.[/spoiler]

I've haven't watched Tropa De Elite.  I hadn't even heard of it until notices about Narcos began to arrive in the media.

It basically what a movie about Search Bloc set in a Brazilian favela would look like, dealing with similar themes wrt violence between the police and drug dealers. Great movie, despite the controversy over the alleged message.

I am finding this series extremely well done so far (2 episodes). I'm impressed by Moura's portrayal of Escobar and love the attention to detail. Unlike Kindly Old Man, I actually like the narration from Agent Murphy. It helps fill in the details  and reminds me of Ray Liotta's narration in Good Fellas.

The 2006 documentary Cocaine Cowboys would probably interest those viewers who are enjoying Narcos. It deals with the drug trade and wars in Miami during this period. I found it fascinating.

Yes and yes. Also, the book Killing Pablo is excellent. Sadly, it spoiled the series for me. Regardless, I've seen the first two episodes and they are good tv.

There's been no announcement of any kind there's going to be another Narcos season, but with that open-ended ending, and that netflix in the past has been generous about more than a single season for their originals, it seems likely.  But will they be able to reassemble the team?

Have to say I thought that season was fan fucking tastic, was completely hooked from the first 20 minutes of episode 1.

One little nitpick would be the casting in that very few of the main cast were actually Colombian.

Escobar - Wagner Moura, Brazilian

President Gaviria - Raúl Méndez Martínez, Mexican

Pena - Pedro Pascal, Chilean

Gacha -  Luis Guzman, Puerto Rico / USA

Older Ochoa brother - Brazilian actor

Tata Escobar - Paulina Gaitan, Mexican

Elisa - Mexican actress

Escobar's reporter Valeria - Mexican actress

It's only a minor nitpick, I actually thought Moura with his very thick Brazil accent made a superb Escobar, but not having a trained ear for Spanish myself I wonder what South Americans will make of it.

Is this show just about Pablo, or would they do a new season with a different drug kingpin?

They've got just enough material to do one more season on Escobar. After that, I don't know what they'll do. I'd love to see this become an anthology series, and see then do future seasons on other drug lords and cartel bosses.

They've got just enough material to do one more season on Escobar. After that, I don't know what they'll do. I'd love to see this become an anthology series, and see then do future seasons on other drug lords and cartel bosses.

They might be using the leftover material to lead into another setting (possibly focusing on the Cali cartel) because they didn't trust the series enough to just have a totally self-contained thing in the first season. So maybe  there's a subtle shift during S2 as 

[spoiler] They use the Cali cartel's (foreshadowed) prominence in the fight against Escobar to move them into the role of main villain

[/spoiler]

Have to say I thought that season was fan fucking tastic, was completely hooked from the first 20 minutes of episode 1.

One little nitpick would be the casting in that very few of the main cast were actually Colombian.

Escobar - Wagner Moura, Brazilian

President Gaviria - Raúl Méndez Martínez, Mexican

Pena - Pedro Pascal, Chilean

Gacha -  Luis Guzman, Puerto Rico / USA

Older Ochoa brother - Brazilian actor

Tata Escobar - Paulina Gaitan, Mexican

Elisa - Mexican actress

Escobar's reporter Valeria - Mexican actress

It's only a minor nitpick, I actually thought Moura with his very thick Brazil accent made a superb Escobar, but not having a trained ear for Spanish myself I wonder what South Americans will make of it.

I've heard some complaints about his accent too , despite being completely deaf to the nuances of either language.

Archived