Netflix's new drama: 'Narcos' (starring Oberyn Martell + Capitão Nascimento)

AncalagonTheBlack

They don't say he's involved, they just said "it's not about him" when asked to confirm he's not in season 4. Which may allude to a cameo or a small role, or may not. We don't know.

Given Pedro Pascal's comments on social media, I think he's not at all involved. But again, he may be playing his fans.

36 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Looks like Season 4 will be set in the 70s. Given that Pena is still involved, we might get 2 timelines ala Godfather 2.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/narcos-season-4-boss-pedro-pascal-new-cast-mexico-1068975

Well, there was a trailer that had Diego Luna and Michael Peña as starring actors.

• 6 months later...

First Look At Michael Pena & Diego Luna In ‘Narcos: Mexico’

Luna is set to play Miguel Ángel Félix Gallardo but he goes by only one name: Felix. He is the leader of the Guadalajara cartel, one of the biggest narcos in the history of Mexico and the founder of the modern Mexican drug trade.

Pena will play Kiki Camarena, a family man and an undercover DEA agent.

In addition to Pena and Luna, Narcos: Mexico is stacked with an impressive cast:

• Aaron Staton (Mad Men) as Butch Sears

• Alejandro Edda (Fear the Walking Dead) as Joaquin “Chapo” Guzman

• Alfonso Dosal (Hazlo como hombre) as Benjamin Arellano Felix

• Alyssa Diaz (Ray Donovan, The Rookie) as Mika Camarena

• Clark Freeman (We Go On) as Ed Heath

• Ernesto Alterio (Cable Girls) as Salvador Osuna Nava

• Fermín Martinez  (Lady of Steel) as Juan Jose Esparragoza Moreno (“El Azul”)

• Fernanda Urrejola (Bala Loca) as Maria Elvira

• Gerardo Taracena (Apocalypto) as Pablo Acosta

• Gorka Lasaosa (Brain Drain) as Hector Palma

• Guillermo Villegas (Sin Nombre) as Sammy Alvarez

• Horacio Garcia Rojas (Texas Rising) as Tomas Morlet

• Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen, Little Children) as Jim Ferguson

• Joaquín Cosío (Quantum of Solace) as Don Neto (Ernesto-Fonseca Carillo)

• José María Yazpik (Narcos) reprises his role as Amado Carrillo Fuentes

• Lenny Jacobson (Nurse Jackie) as Roger Knapp

• Manuel Masalva (Mi corazón es tuyo) as Ramon Arellano Felix

• Matt Letscher (Scandal, The Flash) as James Kuykendall

• Tenoch Huerta (Sin Nombre) as Rafael Caro Quintero

• Teresa Ruiz (Here on Earth) as Isabella Bautista

• Tessa Ia (The Burning Plain) as Sofia Conesa

• Yul Vazquez (The Looming Tower, Magic City) as John Gavin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Concerning the effect on Medellin and Colombia of the first two Narcos seasons:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/22/world/americas/medellin-colombia-pablo-escobar.html?

Lots of photos!

The building was bombed in 1988 by Mr. Escobar’s rivals, and not long afterward, he abandoned it. Weeds grew in cracks in the driveway. A satellite dish collected old leaves. And for a while, Medellín could ignore the now-empty Monaco.

Recently, however, attention to the building has returned, piqued by scores of international books, telenovelas and movies about Mr. Escobar.

Tourists now sidle up to the gate, snapping photos and posting them on Instagram. Tour guides stop by. A former cartel hit man-turned-YouTube-star appeared, offering DVDs recounting his exploits with Mr. Escobar and anecdotes from the day the building was attacked.

In April, fed up, the mayor intervened.

“This symbol, which is a symbol of illegality, of evil, will be brought to the ground,” said Federico Gutiérrez. The mayor vowed to topple the building by next year and to put a park remembering victims in its place.

It's good to have this reminder that these people are not even anti-heroes, but truly evil who committed an infinite number of crimes against real human beings just like us, and a nation, as we begin to roll into the same kind of romantizing of the global drug crime syndicates move into Mexico.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Okay, I'll use this thread, although it is now Narcos Mexico, rather than Narcos.

I've seen 2 episodes. I just started ep 3.

My advice is to definitely watch it and also give it at least 2 episodes in order to take. I was not completely sold on episode 1, although I was excited by a new season of this show. Episode 2 was great, however. And also the intro to season 3 was great. I loved Tijuana in ep 2 in particular 

I wanna know from where and how the production got all those perfectly dated automobiles -- while they totally screwed the pooch more than once with the women's clothes -- and again, and always, particularly the shoes.  This is the age of Reagan you idiots!  Those 6 inch heels are post 2005 (and by now have long lost the top 'o the line fashion cachet, just like big pushed up breasts have ). There are other bits too, that are historically incorrect (haven't finished watching yet, so there may be even more).

Finished watching yesterday. I have some real issues it. The first half is definitely more interesting than the second half.  Joaquín Cosío is absolutely terrific as Don Neto, though, and everyone performed pretty well... but Gallardo struck me as a very thin (hah) figure to center a series on, compared to Escobar. He just isn't that interesting a figure, and there's only so much Diego Luna could do with what he was given.a

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:22 AM, Ran said:

Finished watching yesterday. I have some real issues it. The first half is definitely more interesting than the second half.  Joaquín Cosío is absolutely terrific as Don Neto, though, and everyone performed pretty well... but Gallardo struck me as a very thin (hah) figure to center a series on, compared to Escobar. He just isn't that interesting a figure, and there's only so much Diego Luna could do with what he was given.a

I'm through episode 6 and have to agree with you concerning Gallardo. He is written as some naïve chump who seems to just have the best luck with having friends in the right places. He has Jon Snow levels of agency. Neto and Rafa are the more interesting characters. El Chapo is just shoehorned in.

The DEA agents are less interesting as well.

And what is with the odd levels of sound? The voice-over narration is quite loud while everything in Spanish is audible and everything in English faint. It's irritating having to constantly adjust the volume.

For me, Rafa is merely disgusting, not in the least interesting.  Gallardo is interesting, precisely because he's not the sort that Escobar was.  I thought all the performances were first class, though just looking at Rafa made me want to vomit, he was so gross -- and reminded me way too much of some people I used to know, who all died quite early from having done way way way too much coke, and then to accompany way too much coke, drank way too much scotch,  and died in truly gross circumstances.  Also I liked how Rafa and Co. show us that having all the money in the world still doesn't provide those without any real vocation or calling to imagine anything interesting to do with all the money in the world. They remain coarse ugly miserable cruel dickheads no matter what (Billions shows us this too).

I loved watching Michael Peña's Camarena so much.  Now he had a calling.

But yes, I agree, there were writing - plot - storytelling - narrative holes here and there.

I kept waiting to hear some references to the Reagan - CIA Contra cocaine trafficking in Nicaragua, Panama, Colombia in these years, especially seeing that Reagan portrait everywhere. But nothing was said about it despite this huge impediment to the US forces doing anything about the trafficking out of Mexico.  That would have helped a whole lot of plot holes and made it all the more interesting.

Pretty good season overall. Like season 3, it was the supporting crew members that really made the show. I'd rate the seasons in the order 1, 3, 4, 2. Don Neto was incredible through out, including that over-the-top ending.

"You guys really like to buy drinks, don't you?"

"It is the American way." LOL,

Seems I liked this more than most here. Not as good as the Escobar seasons, but probably on par with the Cali one. Agree Michael Pena was a bit weak compared to Pedro Pascal and Boyd Holbrook. Liked Diego Luna and the guy that played Neto though. Nice to get another little  scene with Wagner Moura, too. 

I liked it a lot.  I just hope that the so-called Reagan Iran-Contra (drug sales to buy arms to give to Israel to destabilize Iran while circumventing the Congress's refusal to do so) war on drugs' hypocrisy and facilitation of the drug trade and crack epidemic get time in the next series.

I finished S4 now.

I feel conflicted about the whole season, at times it was incredibly compelling and gut wrenching, at other times it raised a small 'meh' from me. 

- The main issue of this season for me lies in Felix Gallardo. He simply isn't an Escobar. While I enjoyed the performance I never felt that they really managed to explore his character in enough detail or get to the heart of who he was enough to make me feel anything or him. I neither loved nor hated him, I didn't care if he won or lost. Maybe because he seemed to be such a withdrawn, calculating character that he didn't give a lot away. It meant he was always the least interesting part of the story. His arc felt strange too, they rushed his sudden jump into power and his "fall" at the end also felt quite quick. It was hard to feel loss when I had barely spent time with him

- The other issue here is that the side characters are simply much more interesting than him. Rafa, Don Neto and Kiki were the highlights of the show and the writers seemed to know it. I'm not sure how you would fix this , but these were the people I cared about, or hated. It meant the show felt a bit scattered. 

- Losing Kiki was pretty heartbreaking, and I liked the final confrontation between him and Felix at the end, sort of mirroring each other in some way. But again, it was Kiki I was interested.

Looking forward to next season, maybe we will see more of Chapo!

Archived