Every chicken in this place.

The Lash

The Hound is definitely my favorite character in the show and probably the books too. I think he is damn funny and yes he was an evil bastard, but he is the only character with enough ruthlessness and compassion to adequately protect Arya solo. Rory McCann is spot on in his performance and delivers his lines great. For my money he is the one actor in the show who damn near perfectly nails his character.

I am just curious as to whether most people like The Hound or hate him. Express your thoughts and what do you think his best line is?

My favorite scene of his is either the inn scene where he is talking to Polliver at the table (that whole conversation is hilarious) or where he is schooling Arya about swordsmanship. Meryn Trant, hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

He did a pretty good job protecting Sansa, too.

I forgot best line, I like when he said "I didn't do it for you" (meaning he did it for Sansa). The rescue scene. He was pretty fabulous ripping out the innards of those guys attacking her, and then he changed mode and said "You're all right now, little bird."

Yeah I love him.

The way he took care of Sansa

and Arya

The chicken and "Meryn Fucking Trant"

I even liked what he said before the Brienne fight because it made perfect sense that Arya was safer with him and away from all the bull.

He's really captured the Hound in my opinion.

Oh and we can't forget "Fuck the king" at Blackwater :)

He did a pretty good job protecting Sansa, too.

I forgot best line, I like when he said "I didn't do it for you" (meaning he did it for Sansa). The rescue scene. He was pretty fabulous ripping out the innards of those guys attacking her, and then he changed mode and said "You're all right now, little birI

I have thought in the strange event that if Sansa was captured either in books or show at this point and delivered to king's landing for her own trial in Joff's death, Ungregor and the Hound = Cleganebowl would happen this way. It would fulfill the Ghost of High Heart who prophesized Ungregor and the Hound looming over "That maiden in a castle built of snow". She is no longer a maiden on the show and the Ghost is not included either so may not happen that way but would it not be poetic if it did?

This is my first post here in the forums...Sandor Clegane is definitely my favorite character. (In case you couldn't tell by my username!)  In the very first episode in the series you are prepared to think him a villain with killing Mycah.  You have him sorted out as a terrible Lannister henchmen.   Then he starts doing these things that go against what you first thought of him with helping out Sansa in King's Landing, then eventually becoming part of the dynamic duo of Arya and The Hound. He has done terrible things, but as he says "a man has a code."  You start seeing him as a flawed man that has been through Hell and back, I can't help but root for him to find his way. He is a grey character and I am hoping that we get to see the lovely and talented Rory McCann show Sandor Clegane's redemption arc in season 6. 

definitely my favorite character. there are a ton of complex characters in the series but i feel like the hound might be the most complex of the bunch. he doesnt even have that many lines, probably even less in the books since the show added time to his and aryas journey, but everything he says or does has a ton of subtleties and undertones that you catch the second time around. 

started watching the show before i read the books so my initial thought process was that he would be the typical a-hole, tough guy that fights for the 'bad guys' but he turned out to be a hell of a character. once he started being protective of sansa all he kept reminding me of was the guy in the family guy cutaway that was 'the badass with a heart of gold' lol. 

the show made him a lot more likable though. hes still very popular from the books too but (wont be spoilers) hes waaay more of a dick to basically everyone. there were a couple small changes, though they are kind of big concerning sandors personality, in the show that i didnt like about him.

- he threatens arya all the time but never hits her. in the 'meryn fucking trant' scene we get that the hound was trying to teach her a lesson but it still doesnt go with his change in character that he actually hits her. in the books when he first kidnaps her she mentions mycah and the hound immediately cuts her off and yells at her to never say his name again. little things like that show that for once he was feeling remorse about killing someone. its not being mad at arya its being reminded of what he did. 

- when he attacks the farmer and steals his silver also goes completely against the hounds 'code.' in the books the hound actually works for him for a while and stays true to the fair wages for fair work agreement. even when the farmer kicks him out and says he cant pay him anymore sandor just gets pissed and tells arya they have to leave. he doesnt take any sort of revenge or action against the guy. 

- the big one is how they handled his 'death.' infection or not, the hounds supposed to be one of the most feared and deadly fighters in the series. having brienne beat him in a sword fight AND a fist fight just seemed out of place to me. if he does come back and does anything of note then its always going to still be in the viewers mind 'well, brienne did kick the living shit out of him so how tough is he really?.' that would be like having someone convincingly beat oberyn before his duel with gregor. seems counter intuitive to me. completely nitpicking since we have no clue if hell return or not but just my opinion. 

- even more so was having arya turn on him. made more sense in the books since they never have any kind of bonding. i thought the shows version looked out of place too considering the two seemed closer in that portrayal. iirc aryas last words to the hound in the books were 'you should have saved my mother' or something along those lines. if they had her still say that instead of nothing then it still gives the viewer the impression that she hasnt forgiven him regardless and is still reaching for reasons to hate him. 

so this is getting a bit longer than i intended, but ya, the hounds awesome. really hope we see him again.

I think Cleganebowl was foreshadowed in the first book, and then all throughout the series.  From the first time I read it, I was aware that Cleganebowl was going to happen.  It's much more obvious than R+L=J.  

Fighting for Sansa's trial by combat would be pretty damn amazing....but I wonder how many trial by combat's can be worked into the book.  Getting to be an old plot device.

I don't think Cleganebowl will happen in the books. When he was dying, he didn't say damn, never got to kill my brother, his priorities had changed, that was the whole point of the Hound is dead, he was Sandor again. Arya called him Sandor when she left the Hound off her list. And he was very focused on Sansa on the show, too. He was set up as Team Stark, so probably something along those lines.

Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hounds-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother's unprotected face.

This is my first post here in the forums...Sandor Clegane is definitely my favorite character. (In case you couldn't tell by my username!)  In the very first episode in the series you are prepared to think him a villain with killing Mycah.  You have him sorted out as a terrible Lannister henchmen.   Then he starts doing these things that go against what you first thought of him with helping out Sansa in King's Landing, then eventually becoming part of the dynamic duo of Arya and The Hound. He has done terrible things, but as he says "a man has a code."  You start seeing him as a flawed man that has been through Hell and back, I can't help but root for him to find his way. He is a grey character and I am hoping that we get to see the lovely and talented Rory McCann show Sandor Clegane's redemption arc in season 6. 

Welcome to the boards! :cheers:

I like Sandor in his ambiguity but I believe he is a horrible human being who has committed awful crimes.
The murder of Mycah - child killing - is the one example Martin gives us to describe that Sandor has - or had - no compunctions at all to commit the cruellest crimes, I am sure he left nothing out. Martin leaves everything else to our imagination but I don't think there has been anything Sandor did not do. Having been in the service of Lannisters and being ordered to certainly is no mitigation just like it was no mitigation for babykilling Slynt.

But, as I said, being conflicted about his own past, being disgusted about himself makes writing about Sandor an exercise in declination of morality. Both Stark sisters influenced him to question himself, he has every potential to be a rapist and he did not do the deed. He has every potential to sell out a child and yet he protected Arya.
We are in show territory where his relationship to Arya is what influences him most while Sansa is a sidenote. There may be those wonderful comic relief moments, except that there is never much relief in them. Both Arya and Sandor are simply tragic characters in that KFC inn despite the fun we all had those chickens were hard to swallow.

I do not know if Sandor will come back or if finding peace on the QI means that at least one character gets a remotely happy ending. But it would be Martinesque to show that even the worst villain, even the cruellest human being is not doomed within these books. No, the villains can turn into characters to pity and to root for and all our beloved grey ones have all options open.

I believe if the show had wanted to fulfill any fandom dreams of SanSan they would have casted a different actor. There is simply not this kind of chemistry between Turner and McCann, he is surrogate father with tender memories but not lover. Actually the not-rape scene in the books transformed Sansa from a thing to fuck into a person to protect for Sandor. The show left that dark knife at throat scene out just like they took some darkness out of several characters. Like it or not. The child killer goes teddy bear after he has realized what monster he has been. I find that more satisfying and actually more redeeming than that ominous erotic reformation of a violent man by "the right woman". Fairy tale material. It's what those women hope for who stay with their violent partner for one moment too long.

If Sandor comes back I am sure that he is doomed. I see a heroic sacrifice for Arya or Sansa or going out in a blaze of glory doing the right thing, overcoming his fear of fire. Though he may have some revelations about the Lannister past and himself in store, maybe about Tysha.

In short: I would not mind if Sandor stays a cameo at the QI. If the show tries to warm up Sandor in his comedy aspects they might easily overdo it, telling the same joke twice. If he yet has a tragic role to play - I don't know.

- even more so was having arya turn on him. made more sense in the books since they never have any kind of bonding. i thought the shows version looked out of place too considering the two seemed closer in that portrayal. iirc aryas last words to the hound in the books were 'you should have saved my mother' or something along those lines. if they had her still say that instead of nothing then it still gives the viewer the impression that she hasnt forgiven him regardless and is still reaching for reasons to hate him. 

so this is getting a bit longer than i intended, but ya, the hounds awesome. really hope we see him again.

Tyrion and Shae all over again, they had plot points to check and it didn't matter that they altered the characters and their relationships to the point that the plot points didn't make sense anymore.

I can see Cleganebowl happening in the show, but not the book.  I would love to see show!Sandor and show!Sansa meet again and ....   

The show runners have said that there is 'something there' with Sansa and the Hound, with more to come.  Please, please show runners, do SanSan right. 

I think in both book and show Sandor has a greater part to play, bigger that than Cleganebowl.  He's already fought his brother and then bested fire when he defeated Lord Beric and his burning sword.  Time for him to fall in love, why not?

I can see Cleganebowl happening in the show, but not the book. I would love to see show!Sandor and show!Sansa meet again and ....

The show runners have said that there is 'something there' with Sansa and the Hound, with more to come. Please, please show runners, do SanSan right.

I think in both book and show Sandor has a greater part to play, bigger that than Cleganebowl. He's already fought his brother and then bested fire when he defeated Lord Beric and his burning sword. Time for him to fall in love, why not?

Yes, I would like to see it, too, and they did set it up. I like when he said, "Ask her who came back for her..."

There were also these quotes (they also said he's attracted to her):

D.B. Weiss: The developing relationship between these two.
David Benioff: Yep. Much more to come.

Weiss:  It's a good thing that Rory is as tall as he is… Sophie must have grown a foot in the first year of the show…  Luckily she's playing against Rory who's also...
Benioff:  Yeah, he's genuinely massive.

Bryan Cogman: The Hound/Sansa relationship is still a big part of the show.

Yes, I would like to see it, too, and they did set it up. I like when he said, "Ask her who came back for her..."

There were also these quotes (they also said he's attracted to her):

Did you read Cheb's analysis of what they liked about the Northern plot? Their "we liked it and we wanted to include it" ended up being including only the rape. I have the feeling they only will take the sexual part of SanSan for the show... That won't be pretty.

Archived