Golf: The Majors and the minors too

Fragile Bird

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

You mean other than Dustin Johnson possibly missing The Masters because he slipped and fell? 

I have Live at the Masters on, and it looks like he will try to play.

I am hoping Mike Weir doesn't humiliate himself, once again, but I won't hold my breath. The last half dozen years he must have been playing with a secret injury that he won't talk about. After he won the Masters in 2003, he was playing at the Canadian Open when a crazed, drunk, I think, Canadian fan jumped on him and he must have hurt him. He is not a big guy. He did not make the cut in 2004, the first time in history a Masters winner did not make the cut the following year. He's never played well since.

Geez, Johnson didn't just slip and fall in the house, he slipped on wet steps outsides and rolled down a couple of steps, onto a landing and down another couple of steps. ETA: Nope, I misunderstood, he was in socks, slippery wooden floor.

I wonder if he sues the home owner....

He should probably skip the Masters, back injuries can ruin your career. Look at Tiger.

ETA: Ok, he's going to try to make it through the round. He'll be followed by his physical therapist, who will be allowed to give him treatments every couple of holes.

ETA3: What the heck happened to my edit???

Sadly, he made it to the hole, and then decided not to play. But that could be happily, too. I'm sure it was very disappointing, since he just won 3 tournaments in a row, and was in the best shape of his life. But also, when your father-in-law is The Great One, Wayne Gretzky, who surely played many a game injured and in pain, you don't want to wimp out.

3 hours ago, Hereward said:

It's Justin time.

See what I did there?

Justin would be good. I have a soft spot for Sergio, I vividly remember his first time at the Masters. Willett is up there, back-to-backs would be fabulous. And I don't mind cheering for Phil, either. :)

ETA: Crikey, forgot to mention Rory!!!

That was a spectacular round for Charley Hoffman, Nick Faldo described it as the best opening round he's ever seen.

Damn fine rounds for William McGirt and Lee Westwood as well!

And oh my, I haven't been paying attention recently - looks like Spain is going to have yet another golf hero in Jon Rahm. What a fine young golfer!

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Justin would be good. I have a soft spot for Sergio, I vividly remember his first time at the Masters. Willett is up there, back-to-backs would be fabulous. And I don't mind cheering for Phil, either. :)

ETA: Crikey, forgot to mention Rory!!!

Sergio is my favorite player to watch lose.  I don't think there are any other players I actually actively dislike - just him.

Feel really badly for DJ - hopefully this doesn't linger and he can recover.  He's in ridiculous shape, so he should be fine.

Good grief. Spieth did a 9 on the par 5 15th yesterday, and now Willett has copied him by doing an 8 on the par 4 1st. Now that's a shitty way to start a round.

I forgot to mention the tributes to Arnold Palmer yesterday. Arnie's Army started in 1959 at the Master's, because soldiers from a local base attending the tournament decided to cheer him on. Arnie's Army 1959-2016 buttons are the hot item being worn by many people. :)

At least he died at the grand age of 87. Nick Faldos reminded us that Seve Ballesteros would have been 60 on Sunday. Six years since he died.  :( 

3 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Sergio is my favorite player to watch lose.  I don't think there are any other players I actually actively dislike - just him.

In a world where Bubba Watson exists, I cannot comprehend this post.

Archived