Golf: The Majors and the minors too

Fragile Bird

17 hours ago, Los Canaleros said:

It really wasn’t a big deal. Manufactured drama to get some buzz going online. Phil was having a bad day and got frustrated. It happens to the best of them. The end.

Joe Buck is the worst. Somehow he manages to be even shittier with golf than he is with NFL.

I don't follow golf at all, but this story has made its way into my sphere of news. In the past, its basically only been stories about Tiger Woods at his height or his nadir that I hear about (e.g. from sportswriters who cover other sports or from people who do follow golf but don't usually talk about it). Which makes me think this is a big deal, or at least a lot of people think it should be a big deal; i.e., its not just Joe Buck.

3 hours ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

Er, kind of was in fairness. He probably should have been disqualified.

I guess this is part of what’s killing golf. Guy who’s won 5 majors and is one of the top players of the last 20 years gets frustrated, runs down the ball and taps it before it stops moving, decorum-obsessed golf world goes ballistic. 

I grew up around golf and have watched it all my life. I thought the overreaction (BECAUSE it was Phil, and that sort of thing isn’t expected of him) was ridiculous. He was penalized for his action and took the two strokes. I’m sure regardless of what he said in that awkward as hell interview with Curtis Strange that he’s embarrassed about what he did. I can’t and won’t understand the need to keep piling on him further. 

Just now, Los Canaleros said:

I guess this is part of what’s killing golf. Guy who’s won 5 majors and is one of the top players of the last 20 years gets frustrated, runs down the ball and taps it before it stops moving, decorum-obsessed golf world goes ballistic. 

I really disagree with that. The core of golf is that you have to live with the consequences of your shot. It's not decorum, it's cheating the basic point of the sport.

The controversial point of the whole incident for me is that the USGA wimped out of disqualifying him because he's such a high profile player. They used the ambiguity in the wording of the rules to give him the lesser penalty when he was clearly deliberately influencing the movement of a ball in play.

3 minutes ago, Eusebio da Silva ljkeane said:

I really disagree with that. The core of golf is that you have to live with the consequences of your shot. It's not decorum, it's cheating the basic point of the sport.

The controversial point of the whole incident for me is that the USGA wimped out of disqualifying him because he's such a high profile player. They used the ambiguity in the wording of the rules to give him the lesser penalty when he was clearly deliberately influencing the movement of a ball in play.

Okay, I can see that point. Personally I think a 2 stroke penalty for striking a moving ball is enough. 

I’m going to visit my (golf nut) dad today for Father’s Day and watch the final round. I’m interested to hear his take on this. 

I thought it was way overblown. It was a moment of frustration on his part, he accepted the penalty, and it didn't really sway his score anyway. Do I think he's being honest with his "it was a calculated move" explanation? No, not really, but it's a pretty standard face-saving explanation. Thought Phil played it well with his enthusiastic cheer upon finishing that hole today.

Is this something I want to see regularly happening in the PGA? Of course not. And I think there was gray area over which rule was violated (and therefore whether a DQ was called for), and perhaps that will be addressed moving forward. But this was an unusual circumstance in an unusual tournament and I think the purity of golf has not been destroyed. And plus Joe Buck is annoying af and needs to just shut up about it. If anything he has swayed me more to Phil's corner.

Fleetwood with an amazing round. Usga screwed up the course on saturday for round 3 but apart from that I thought it was great to see an over par winning score and Koepka was great in the final round.

On Phil the rule reads something like a 2 shot penalty but if its deemed deliberate you 'may' be disqualified. Phil made it pretty obvious he knew what he was doing and I think a lesser name possibly would have been DQd. Smarter move would have been take an unplayable and 1 shot penalty and have the putt again

Koepka did what Major winners usually do - he got himself out of jams and made crucial putts when he had to. If Dustin Johnson had holed a few of those putts he rolled right by the hole the result may have been different.

The real turning point for Koepka (and the point at which I figured he was safe from Fleetwood's phenomenal earlier round) was where he screwed up on back to back holes (hit into the deep rough on the one, overshot the green by a mile AND landed in the trap on the other) and managed to escape with a +1 between them. That is championship golf - minimize mistakes such that they don't become huge numbers on the scorecard.

Koepkas play for bogey from over the back of 11 and getting down for par the 2 holes after when he was in trouble was so good and then the 3rd to the par 5 for a tap in bird gave himself room to breathe slightly on the last couple of holes. Anyone that has watched him at the last 2 us opens would be forgiven for thinking he had won more than what he has.

• 1 month later...

That was a pretty great Open! Molinari deserved the win. I wonder if there will be any crazed Italians driving down the streets blaring their horns. He was pretty funny about headlines in Italy - did Ferrari win today?

I was happy to see Tiger doing so well, and I hope his play over the last 4 days means he'll still win more majors. He should have been leading on Friday. 

I cheered for Rory and Justin, what a two day run for Rose! And Pepperell!

I guess Xander is for real, as some of the commentators said, and we'll see lots from him in the future.

The couple of holes around the turn when Tiger started to charge and everyone else was busy falling over were pretty great unfortunately it didnt last but the rest of the back 9 was pretty great. Molinari has 3 wins and 2 top 3s in his last 6 starts and is a very worthy champ. 

A great final round with Speith falling over from a position you kind of expected him to win from. TW, Rory, Rose all making runs and Molinari going bogey free on the weekend especially playing in Tigers group today. He has had 1 bogey in the last 3 weekends he has played. 108 holes with 1 bogey is pretty epic stuff.

I missed most of the earlier rounds, following a bit on Twitter, but was able to sit down and watch the back 9 of the final round today and it was great. Molinari just seemed to be playing so well.

It had a bit of everything over the 4 days. A bit of wind about to start then sone rain and finished with a stereotypical links golf final round with 20mph wind.

Molinari isnt really the biggest name on the front page of the leaderboard but the last month or 2 sonething seems to have clicked with his short game and putting and he was experienced enough to stay level headed on the back 9 despite playing with Tiger. Probably the best major championship since Stenson and Mickelson got into a shootout and daylight finished 3rd to them.

Molinari apparently acquired new coaches that made some very important changes to his game. He added a putting coach who had Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald as clients, and a sports psychologist. David Aldred has been working with him for two years to improve confidence, someone well known in Europe for helping field goal kickers. That obviously worked brilliantly under fire, since Molinari did not get rattled playing with Tiger. Posture is one of the keys, I heard the commentators say, and I had already noticed how tall and straight and poised Molinari was as he walked around the course. He looked cool, calm and collected at all times.

• 2 months later...

Watching the final round of the Tour Championship and it really is insane to see Tiger making this sort of comeback. If he manages to come out of this as not only the winner today but also the FedEx Cup winner...damn. And it really is crazy just how much the fans respond to Tiger, no one else can even come close to getting that sort of enthusiasm.

I'm a Rory fan, so disappointed to see him shit the bed today. I know it can't be easy to be in the final pairing with Tiger, but he really just fell apart.

Archived