Golf: The Majors and the minors too

Fragile Bird

26 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

"shrugs"

???

How can anyone not find this hilarious?:

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

How did he transform into a reckless gambler who hung out with scuzzy NBA players in Las Vegas dens of iniquity, screwing anything in sight, sneaking out of the mansion at night to fuck waitresses in parking lots after midnight, even taking a mistress with him to Australia for a tournament?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

???

How can anyone not find this hilarious?:

Hey. Tiger had a very cultivated image, one that drew sponsors to him in droves, putting more money in his pockets than any other sports figure in the whole damn world. But then he got drawn into a world inhabited mostly by retired NBA players, who set up court in the high-roller gambling salons of Las Vegas. Do you think Nike, not to mention other sponsors, wanted to be associated with that image?

Not to mention the fucking around on his mother of two children, including a baby. He literally drove late at night to the restaurant where a certain waitress or hostess worked and they would screw in the car in the parking lot or drive to a park. Iirc, she's the one who made the flight to Australia. The Enquirer staked out the place and took pictures. 

Colorful conduct like that from a practicing Buddhist deserves colorful language!

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hey. Tiger had a very cultivated image, one that drew sponsors to him in droves, putting more money in his pockets than any other sports figure in the whole damn world. But then he got drawn into a world inhabited mostly by retired NBA players, who set up court in the high-roller gambling salons of Las Vegas. Do you think Nike, not to mention other sponsors, wanted to be associated with that image?

Not to mention the fucking around on his mother of two children, including a baby. He literally drove late at night to the restaurant where a certain waitress or hostess worked and they would screw in the car in the parking lot or drive to a park. Iirc, she's the one who made the flight to Australia. The Enquirer staked out the place and took pictures. 

Colorful conduct like that from a practicing Buddhist deserves colorful language!

Oh I agree, his story is a bizarre one, and the Perkins waitress is especially funny. Your heavy handed take is still hilarious though.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did anyone make the same mistake as I did and tune in for the rebroadcast? I though the round was going to take place in the afternoon and not the morning.

Yes, me. I expected the usual afternoon start and had run around doing my grocery shopping. When I came home I turned on the tv only to see Tiger sitting in the bungalow with the amateur winner and Patrick Reed, waiting for the jacket ceremony.

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, me. I expected the usual afternoon start and had run around doing my grocery shopping. When I came home I turned on the tv only to see Tiger sitting in the bungalow with the amateur winner and Patrick Reed, waiting for the jacket ceremony.

I turned it on when I figured the leaders would be on the back nine. And they were, in a sense. I think I watched Tiger play a few holes, say up until the 14th, then they cut away and show Tiger wearing his jacket. It was a serious WTF moment.

• 3 months later...

Hey there, boys and girls, why have we not been talking about The Open? Shane Lowry has had an amazing three days, shooting the lowest three rounds in Open history and missing by centimeters shooting a 62 today. Brandon Grace did it in an Open a couple of years ago but he wasn't leading.

Man oh man I hope Shane keeps it together and wins tomorrow!

When I was at Titancon one year we drove past the golf course on our way back from the bus tour, and they were already excited about the Open being there this year.

I hope Lowry wins it as well. I don't know that much about him, except that he smiles a lot and gives me the impression he's a friendly guy. The crowd didn't get McIlroy but they might get another Irishman instead. He just needs one more solid round and he should be fine.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Windy links golf separates the men from the boys. Holmes -10 to 6 over in one round, he will not want to be back in Ireland for a while. 

I was just looking at the scores, image that, Holmes was tied with him after the second round and he's 16 over today.  Lowry's +1 was a great score, especially when only Tony Finau had a lower score at E.

The weather was pretty savage. Lowry's win has to be considered well and truly earned, especially as he was still out on the course later on when some of that weather was doing truly awful stuff, I'm amazed the greens kept playing after some of that torrential rain. It was one of those days when you really didn't want to be in the last pair - the further the day went on the more everyone's scores started going backwards.

That's a great win those conditions, I was really hoping he would win it.

Very disappointed with the Aussies apart from Cam Smith. Adam Scott was absolutely nowhere had a worse round 1 than both Rory and Tiger and Jason Day went from in contention to missed cut in 5 holes.

JB Holmes had a huge blow out in the last round but quite a few others were shooting high 70s, Speith, Sergio, Rose

Really nice to see an Irishman win the first Open held at Royal Portrush since 1951. The only disappointment was that it wasn't a closer run battle for the trophy, but a huge amount of credit has to go to Lowry for not letting anyone have the chance to get close to him, despite the tough scoring conditions yesterday. 

Archived