Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

Well, perhaps we needn't worry about the TPP [url=http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2015/07/31/trade-ministers-fail-to-forge-trans-pacific-pact.html]either way[/url], at least not yet:

WASHINGTON—High-level talks to forge a 12-nation trade deal spanning the Pacific broke up Friday without resolving contentious disputes over Canadian dairy tariffs, the protection of cutting-edge drugs known as “biologics,” and Japanese access to the North American automobile market.

Negotiators said they would continue to seek agreement over the coming months, but the failure to wrap up the accord, known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, was a setback for U.S. President Barack Obama, who hopes that the completion of a deal will be one of his signature achievements.

Further talks could still produce an accord before the end of the year, but earlier, American officials had been hopeful that the four days of negotiations, which took place this week in beachside hotels on the Hawaiian island of Maui, could produce a final agreement.

Yes, just saw that on the news!  Absolutely great that we won't be seeing endless commercials about the economic prowess of Harper and the Cons.

Now what I would like to see the opposition demand, and pound on this is, is details of the trade agreement with the EU, before a new government is elected.

The dairy tariff thing is critical. New Zealand won't sign anything unless it gets access to the Canadian market.

Fingers crossed that Canada doesn't give in here: we might have found something to sink the TPPA monstrosity.

Yes, let's all keep our fingers crossed. The government has already given in partly to the EU in order to sign an EU trade agreement that we have yet to see the details of, even though it was signed almost a year ago. There is a sort of high school level discussion paper about the agreement, but no text. http://international.gc.ca/trade-agreements-accords-commerciaux/agr-acc/ceta-aecg/understanding-comprendre/overview-apercu.aspx?lang=eng

Yep, it's [url=http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-stephen-harper-set-to-meet-governor-general-for-election-call-1.3175136]happening[/url]:

Stephen Harper will head to Rideau Hall this morning, where he is expected to ask Gov. Gen. David Johnston to dissolve Parliament and kick off what would be the longest federal election campaign in recent history.

CBC News will have live coverage beginning at 9:30 a.m. ET at CBCNews.ca and on CBC Television and CBC News Network.

Harper is to arrive at Rideau Hall at 9:55 a.m. and will then deliver remarks at 10:15 a.m., according to a news release from the Prime Minister's Office.

Once the election is called, Canada's politicians will begin a mid-summer marathon campaign. The election date is set for Monday, Oct. 19.

Now a truly good birthday present for me today would be for this to be the last time Harper visits Rideau Hall - except to tender his resignation. 

I think the Cons will run into the inevitable Law of Diminishing Returns. Having lots of money didn't save the Alberta PCs in May and it didn't prevent the Kim Campbell PCs from being decimated either. 

It's certainly starting to look that way.  The attack ads are basically the same as they have been since the Dion days, at least.  Affix an easy-to-remember epithet based on a perceived character flaw, add a misleading image, and repeat ad infinitum, or, if history is any indication, until the target finally quits.  But I can't see it working this time, as its basically the same approach, and assumes that nobody else remembers at least some of the shit that's been attached to the Cons in the last four years.  Surely some of that must resonate enough to not fall for the exact same talking points, what, four elections in now? 

I am looking forward to the Conservatives blowing all their money in an ever more frantic attempt to stop a massive erosion of their support. All we need is for Duffy to be sentenced to time in the slammer during the election.

Something I've been telling my friends to do in person and on my facebook page. I wrote a little blurb that explains that the Conservatives are advertising heavily on the internet, and since internet advertising is pay-per-click, everyone should click on every Conservative ad they see, and drain their Internet budget. Copy and paste the message and ask your friends to copy and paste the message onto their facebook pages.

A small contribution to the fight against the Conservatives, but what the hell, if everybody did it....

• 2 weeks later...

Aaaaand, this is why, despite Harper, I can still be in love with my Country! :cheers:

Now that was interesting.

Lol, I posted that this morning in the US Politics thread. I'd like to see Trump running as an independent doing that. :P

Shoulda posted here too...saw it on the CBC.

Good article in the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/opinion/sunday/the-closing-of-the-canadian-mind.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

"The closing of the Canadian Mind", under Harper.

So.... think we can put a close on Harper's government though?

Tonight I was with my family on my Mother's side and the subject of politics came up. The comments were a little dumbfounding to be honest. All gave disparaging remarks about the Conservatives and Harper, but their opinions hinged on indecision of the other parties. "Justin Trudeau isn't ready", "The NDP are something we never want in" (I live in BC, and the experience of their time in power turns a lot of people here frosty towards them). For my sister, who has a daughter as a single parent, said that she would tolerate a continued Harper regime because she believed there would be a continued economic "balance". All the while they blame a lack of change of participation of young voters, when it I was observing my Grandmother, my Mother, and two Aunts, seemingly sliding to a apathetic acceptance of the Conservatives. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Archived