Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

As some of you know, I'm one of the boarders who goes to church.  But right now I'm channelling the Greeks and the Romans and the way they tried to figure out the future.

That jerk of a prime minister down under, Tony Abbott, has been turfed out of the PM's spot by his own party.  Please God, let Abbott be the chicken who's entrails are predicting the results of the election, Harper turfed as well!

It would be so lovely, in view of the fact that Abbott took Harper as a role model.

ETA: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-34245005

While I think the Australian system can tend toward instability (at least lately!), it's more in keeping with parliamentary democracy than electing a leader by party members. Interestingly, the [i][url=http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&DocId=8058690&File=27]Reform Act, 2014[/url][/i] now allows for parties to turf their leaders by a secret ballot caucus vote, but the same does not currently apply to the selection of leaders. The weird part is that parties can "opt out" of this system. A step forward, perhaps, but it's not quite enough, not yet. 

Have you seen the story on the CBC about a reporter who got a message from a friend on Facebook, asking why he had 'liked' the Conservative Party? That question took him by surprise, because as a reporter he has become very careful about what he 'likes'. For the most part that means he doesn't like anything.

But when he checked, yes indeed, his page showed he had 'liked' the Cons. Turns out the Conservatives may be buying likes. The reporter asked the Liberals and the NDP if they bought likes, and both said no. But the Conservatives sent him back a message that that was 'an internal party matter'.

Check your Facebook page, maybe you too have liked the Cons!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-like-jacking-facebook-1.3229622

Have you seen the story on the CBC about a reporter who got a message from a friend on Facebook, asking why he had 'liked' the Conservative Party? That question took him by surprise, because as a reporter he has become very careful about what he 'likes'. For the most part that means he doesn't like anything.

But when he checked, yes indeed, his page showed he had 'liked' the Cons. Turns out the Conservatives may be buying likes. The reporter asked the Liberals and the NDP if they bought likes, and both said no. But the Conservatives sent him back a message that that was 'an internal party matter'.

Check your Facebook page, maybe you too have liked the Cons!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-like-jacking-facebook-1.3229622

Isn't this the sort of thing that Pierre Poutine would do?

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Wow. Only yesterday I saw a headline indicating he was in palliative care. 

So did I actually...

Has anyone here heard of this French Political Party leader, Marine le Pen, visiting Canada in the last week? She comes to Quebec to make contacts, criticize immigration and promote certain policies (such as her national viewpoints on how Canada by stating that she would recognize Quebec as its own state if she assumes power)... and no politicians want to touch her with a ten foot pole.

I am Canadian, but I live near the Pacific. Is there anyone situated around closer to Ottawa and/or in Quebec that knows more of this?

13 minutes ago, Minstral said:

So did I actually...

Has anyone here heard of this French Political Party leader, Marine le Pen, visiting Canada in the last week? She comes to Quebec to make contacts, criticize immigration and promote certain policies (such as her national viewpoints on how Canada by stating that she would recognize Quebec as its own state if she assumes power)... and no politicians want to touch her with a ten foot pole.

I am Canadian, but I live near the Pacific. Is there anyone situated around closer to Ottawa and/or in Quebec that knows more of this?

Here's a brief story about her visit: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/marine-le-pen-belgium-montreal-1.3501949

No politicians will meet with her, as you say.

Oh, here's a longer story from the Globe: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/frances-marine-le-pen-blasts-quebec-canadian-politics/article29322218/

I don't know. I have no idea what she or her party thought they might accomplish by coming here. What kind of support, abroad or even at home, did she think her tired and busted rhetoric would garner? Does France in general care about the sad plight of Quebecers in Canada? Does Canada care about some right wing French wannabe? Sounds like a lot of questions right there, but I give no fucks. 

I do find it amusing though. 

Canadian politicians have shown no interest in meeting with her and Canadians have shown no interest in hearing from her.  End of story.  And coverage.

For those of you worried about budget deficits and are worried about the nightmares Conservatives are having, here's a story quoting an economist who has posted a chart showing in visual form what the Liberals are saying about deficits: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/23/canada-budget-deficit-comparison_n_9532294.html?ncid=fcbklnkcahpmg00000001

On Facebook a picture of the graph is displayed, but it's not shown in the story itself.  You have to lick on the twitter quote from Jordan Brennan, which I guess I could have linked. :P  But once I looked at the twitter link and exited back into the HP post, the graph popped up. :)

I have been trying to avoid Rob Ford's funeral. Everybody gushing about what a great man he was is enough to make me gag. I was a party to a very long conversation with him and a relative once.This was all before the crack smoking video. Looking back on that conversation, just about everything he told my relative was a absolute fabrication. She thought he would help and he lied to her shamelessly.

For all his prattle about getting stuff done, I call bullshit. For every pothole he claimed to have gotten fixed, resources were pulled from some other, more important job. City employees were not sitting around with their thumbs up their collective asses before Ford gave them a job. 

He was also a serial drunk driver. People who support him would think a lot less of him if he was sharing a cell with Marco Muzzo. His kids, when they get old enough to understand will realize that he was not a role model for anyone.

Put him in the ground and forget him.

• 2 weeks later...

So....the 'dippers deep-sixed Mulcair.  I can't believe he's staying on for a year or maybe even two years.

Do you think he should step down and let someone else become interim leader, the way the Tories have done it?  I would think the Conservatives will be making comments about not just a lame duck leader but a dead duck leader in Parliament.

On 4/11/2016 at 1:08 PM, Fragile Bird said:

So....the 'dippers deep-sixed Mulcair.  I can't believe he's staying on for a year or maybe even two years.

Do you think he should step down and let someone else become interim leader, the way the Tories have done it?  I would think the Conservatives will be making comments about not just a lame duck leader but a dead duck leader in Parliament.

I have heard him speak a couple of times now and actually I kind of like him. The NDP's problem is who in the party would replace him?

9 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I have heard him speak a couple of times now and actually I kind of like him. The NDP's problem is who in the party would replace him?

Yes, he's a good speaker, especially in the House.

But I would argue with my younger friends over their support for him.  I couldn't understand how they could support someone so old, just like I don't understand the support Bernie Sanders gets from people in their 20s and 30s.  They still think he's an ok guy, but they are happy to see him gone.

The NDP courted him to build an organization in Quebec, and he did that well.  But they misunderstood their success in Quebec, thinking they had somehow converted a whole province that had never voted NDP before into solid supporters.  And even though they elected Mulcair to win seats, they couldn't stomach the compromises he made for broader support and when he didn't win they dumped him.  I was actually surprised he didn't step down election night, the way Harper did.  I'm also surprised to hear he'd like to keep the job.  48% is the lowest percentage of support any leader of any federal party (and it might even be any provincial party as well) has ever received at a convention.  This is stuff I've heard since last Friday out of the mouths of NDPers on television, not my own opinion.

As for who will run for the leadership, they seem to be expecting wide interest from NDP supporters, including freshmen politicians who have never held office.  Sounds like they might be making the same mistake the Liberals did after they lost to Harper, looking for stars.

I have not yet read the Leap Manifesto, but I do consider myself reasonably well schooled in the sciences. Getting off fossil fuels, especially the high carbon stuff from the tar sands is going to have to happen sooner rather than later.  Bite the bullet and let's go. Cancel pipelines,switch to wind and solar, encourage people to generate their own clean power, and put some research money into storage of electricity.

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

I have not yet read the Leap Manifesto, but I do consider myself reasonably well schooled in the sciences. Getting off fossil fuels, especially the high carbon stuff from the tar sands is going to have to happen sooner rather than later.  Bite the bullet and let's go. Cancel pipelines,switch to wind and solar, encourage people to generate their own clean power, and put some research money into storage of electricity.

You ungrateful Toronto dilettante!

Archived