Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

5 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Doug Ford. I really think that the PCs have  moved up from shooting themselves in the foot to shooting themselves in the head. First the election process managed to select a leader who both lost the popular vote and lost in more ridings. Then he has the baggage of being an apologist and enabler of his brother, Rob Ford. Then there is his history of being a drug dealer during the 80s, as exposed by the Globe and Mail. 

He also has no real experience in  politics, apart from a short stint as a city councillor, where he had no real power or any new ideas.  

And he still has a good chance of winning because the Liberals have shit a lot of beds and voters are morons.

It's too bad the NDP are just ... not even a factor as of now.

I have heard  of NDP supprters signing up to vote in the contest so that they could vote in Ford, and thus driving centrists over to the NDP as an alternative to the Liberals.

Goddamn fucking idiots. And yet, the same as always with these people.

The most ridiculous part of this leadership election is that Ford only won thanks to a bizarre weighting system. Christine Elliott actually won more votes and more ridings but still somehow (narrowly) lost. 

I just wish we lived in a world where it was easy to write off a loudmouth asshole. 

This is just embarrassing.

But sadly, I have nightmares that he could actually become Premier.

I'm pretty tired of the Liberal Party of Ontario, but not if it means electing the PC party - who've long abandoned the progressive part and instead still believe in bizarro reaganomics, tax-cutting and keeping your cake BS.

The Canadian right-wing has been in a long slow slide towards being just like the american right-wing in kind, just less awful in degree. Alot of them really want to be Republicans for some reason.

I'm listening to a Doug Ford interview and it's just so painful. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/03/13/doug-ford-sure-disliked-a-lot-of-questions-in-this-cbc-interview_a_23384590/

He's a "grade A" asshole who needs to be called on his BS. He actually starts questioning the interviewer as if she was a political opponent. 

11 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I'm listening to a Doug Ford interview and it's just so painful. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/03/13/doug-ford-sure-disliked-a-lot-of-questions-in-this-cbc-interview_a_23384590/

He's a "grade A" asshole who needs to be called on his BS. He actually starts questioning the interviewer as if she was a political opponent. 

Doug Ford is an asshole. He has showed this at every opportunity he gets, whether on Toronto council where his only 'big' idea was to build a giant ferris wheel, or whenever he enabled his brother in his downward spiral. 

As for being just like his brother in politics, I once had the dubious pleasure of being included in an hour long conversation with Rob Ford and one of my in-law's. As a voter in Toronto she had a lot of concerns, and her and Rob Ford talked for a good hour about her problems. The only problem was that Rob flat out lied to her about everything that he would do for her. Not just little lies about getting back to her as soon as he could but huge whopping lies about how the police were already involved, how he was getting regular reports from the police chief, and just wait, people will be led away in handcuffs...Not a single word was true.

A vote for Rob Ford is a sure a way to drag Ontario into being as big a cesspit as the White House now seems to be.

7 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Doug Ford is an asshole. He has showed this at every opportunity he gets, whether on Toronto council where his only 'big' idea was to build a giant ferris wheel, or whenever he enabled his brother in his downward spiral. 

As for being just like his brother in politics, I once had the dubious pleasure of being included in an hour long conversation with Rob Ford and one of my in-law's. As a voter in Toronto she had a lot of concerns, and her and Rob Ford talked for a good hour about her problems. The only problem was that Rob flat out lied to her about everything that he would do for her. Not just little lies about getting back to her as soon as he could but huge whopping lies about how the police were already involved, how he was getting regular reports from the police chief, and just wait, people will be led away in handcuffs...Not a single word was true.

A vote for Rob Ford is a sure a way to drag Ontario into being as big a cesspit as the White House now seems to be.

Yeah, the thing you always heard about Rob Ford was that he was popular in his district because he was very good at giving people the impression he cared and was doing something for them. So no matter what stupid shit he got up to, they still backed him.

I don't see this shit working for his brother at the provincial level though. He's gonna have to rely on the other Ford special of appealing to idiot conservatives.

2 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Yeah, the thing you always heard about Rob Ford was that he was popular in his district because he was very good at giving people the impression he cared and was doing something for them. So no matter what stupid shit he got up to, they still backed him.

I don't see this shit working for his brother at the provincial level though. He's gonna have to rely on the other Ford special of appealing to idiot conservatives.

He did just that with my in-law. He left her with the impression that all would be sunshine and rainbows when he was done. Every word he said, including 'and' and 'the' were complete fucking lies.

Rob was another lying asshole who occasionally exhibited a sort of "charisma" (not for me) that some know-nothing idiots came to appreciate. And I don't care about how some of them were immigrants or working people or whatever. He was an asshole who I wouldn't have trusted to watch my cat for a weekend let alone, say, solve minor low-level neighbourhood issues (not that he ever did). I don't much mind "speaking ill of the dead" either - he was a liar and a bad person, an awful mayor, and an even worse father. What kind of dad of young children goes around all night pissing outside at gas stations, getting wasted at civic events, and hanging out with gang-bangers and drug dealers while smoking some crack with them? His legacy is one of worsened transit dysfunction, the mediocrity that is John Tory, and of course the now-candidacy of his more polished and even more awful brother (to say nothing of his do-nothing hack nephew who's done nothing of consequence in life to inherit a safe council seat). 

And I don't even live in Ontario let alone TO. 

I didn't quite understand it when I saw it on the news:

So Rob Ford is a dipstick, that much I understand, but apparently he kind of won leadership over his party through a fairly arcane system that wasn't fair, or something?

What was the issue?

8 minutes ago, Yukle said:

I didn't quite understand it when I saw it on the news:

So Rob Ford is a dipstick, that much I understand, but apparently he kind of won leadership over his party through a fairly arcane system that wasn't fair, or something?

What was the issue?

Not Rob Ford, who was a long time councillor and then mayor of Toronto, who died of cancer. Doug Ford, his brother. The Conservatives in Ontario used a new voting system, where someone else got more votes but lost to Ford because of the technicalities of the voting system. Sort of like Clinton winning the popular vote but Trump winning the Electoral College.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not Rob Ford, who was a long time councillor and then mayor of Toronto, who died of cancer. Doug Ford, his brother. The Conservatives in Ontario used a new voting system, where someone else got more votes but lost to Ford because of the technicalities of the voting system. Sort of like Clinton winning the popular vote but Trump winning the Electoral College.

Thanks.What a stupid system. :P 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like a terrorist incident has occurred in Toronto, though nothing said by police yet to confirm that. However, some bastard driving a white van driving at about 80 km an hour jumped the curve and mowed down 8 to 10 pedestrians. At Yonge and Finch, on Yonge Street. That's the very northern border of Toronto, an area full of high rises.

Ah, looks like they have pulled over the van, a Ryder rental van.

Archived