Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

The move that really pisses me off is Ford hiring a fucking crony as a consultant on health, paying him $350,000. The premier only makes $220,000, so the consultant is making almost as much as the premier and the health minister combined.

And Ford before the election said he wouldn't hire consultants.

Consultant? Pourquoi?

I read somewhere today on the fly that Ontario schools are to, at Ford's direction, ditch indigenous studies as well. 

(narrows eyes)

On 7/10/2018 at 4:30 PM, JEORDHl said:

Consultant? Pourquoi?

I read somewhere today on the fly that Ontario schools are to, at Ford's direction, ditch indigenous studies as well. 

(narrows eyes)

Yep I've an aquantice who worked on it for the past 3 years and posted about it being canned.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now in Ontario we have Doug Ford going all out to punish his enemies in any way he can. As a provincial premier he is virtual dictator over Ontario in a way that Trump can only dream about. The only thing we have to look forward to is his incompetence as it may mitigate the damage he causes. 

What the hell is going on in southern Ontario?  It seems like every day I'm seeing new video of some douchebag harassing brown people:

1. The simple fuck in Hamilton who went to Sobeys and discovered the only illegal immigrant in the universe with a Candian accent.

2. That clown at the ferry terminal, drunk, harassing a family for fucks sakes.

3. Now there's a guy at a Wal Mart in Stoney Creek who tells some east indian guy to "prove his citizenship" and other nonsense.

13 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

What the hell is going on in southern Ontario?  It seems like every day I'm seeing new video of some douchebag harassing brown people:

1. The simple fuck in Hamilton who went to Sobeys and discovered the only illegal immigrant in the universe with a Candian accent.

2. That clown at the ferry terminal, drunk, harassing a family for fucks sakes.

3. Now there's a guy at a Wal Mart in Stoney Creek who tells some east indian guy to "prove his citizenship" and other nonsense.

Stupidity begets stupidity. Once Doug Ford got elected, flaunting your intellectual inability became fashionable. 

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

Stupidity begets stupidity. Once Doug Ford got elected, flaunting your intellectual inability became fashionable. 

I'm not terribly familiar with Rob Ford. except that his brother was a clown.  The level of support he enjoyed proves that southern Ontario has a lot of idiots in it.

Is it possible his election has emboldened there idiots?  I don't know.

29 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not terribly familiar with Rob Ford. except that his brother was a clown.  The level of support he enjoyed proves that southern Ontario has a lot of idiots in it.

Is it possible his election has emboldened there idiots?  I don't know.

I think a lot of people who normally vote Liberal voted Conservative in spite of Doug Ford (Doug is the premier, Rob was the mayor). The Liberal government had been in power for 15 years and it was time for them to bite the dust, but Ontario was not ready for another NDP government.

He has very controversially announced our city councillors will be slashed from 47 to 25, without consulting the mayor. People are split 50:50 as to whether this is a good idea. It's an idea that's been kicked around for a long, long time. You have to remember Toronto city councillors make more money than a lot of MPPs across the country, which has been justified by saying Toronto runs a bigger government.

1 hour ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

I think a lot of people who normally vote Liberal voted Conservative in spite of Doug Ford (Doug is the premier, Rob was the mayor). The Liberal government had been in power for 15 years and it was time for them to bite the dust, but Ontario was not ready for another NDP government.

He has very controversially announced our city councillors will be slashed from 47 to 25, without consulting the mayor. People are split 50:50 as to whether this is a good idea. It's an idea that's been kicked around for a long, long time. You have to remember Toronto city councillors make more money than a lot of MPPs across the country, which has been justified by saying Toronto runs a bigger government.

Toronto is also an expensive place to live.

Given that Toronto proper has a population of 2.7 million, that's one city councilor for every 57,000 people. That doesn't seem excessive to me.  Cutting them is a stunt.

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Toronto is also an expensive place to live.

Given that Toronto proper has a population of 2.7 million, that's one city councilor for every 57,000 people. That doesn't seem excessive to me.  Cutting them is a stunt.

Cutting the number is a stunt. New Brunswick, with a population of 750,000, has 46 MPPs.

2 hours ago, Casablanca Birdie said:

I think there's reasonable arguments both ways concerning the number of councillors. However, that is something that can be considered for the next election in 2022, not during the period of the current election where the candidate registration deadline has already passed. And not essentially because Doug Ford made an arbitrary decision. So much for his "experienced" cabinet offering some moderation. 

Also outside Ontario, provincial legislators are usually called MLAs (or MNAs in Quebec and MHAs in NL). 

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

I think there's reasonable arguments both ways concerning the number of councillors. However, that is something that can be considered for the next election in 2022, not during the period of the current election where the candidate registration deadline has already passed. And not essentially because Doug Ford made an arbitrary decision. So much for his "experienced" cabinet offering some moderation. 

Also outside Ontario, provincial legislators are usually called MLAs (or MNAs in Quebec and MHAs in NL). 

The proper term in Ontario is MLA also. Nobody seems to use it though.

Archived