Canadian politics- "to work! We have a government to defeat!"

maarsen

Just goes to show the extreme speed which Canadian Politics moves at.

In provincial rather than national news BC is coming upon a referendum on whether we should switch from FPTP to a proportional. While proportional isn't my preferred system literally anything would be better than FPTP so I'm hoping it passes even if I'm no longer a BC resident and therefore can't vote.

8 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

I think he's referring to the thread title. Seeing how this thread moves in fits and starts it was started way back before the defeat of the Harper government. *shudder*

Lol, and I was thinking about how low a profile Canada has. And you thought everyone knew Trudeau got elected, lol.

Of course, there may have been a dig there at the glacial pace of this thread, true.

On 10/18/2018 at 1:36 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, and I was thinking about how low a profile Canada has. And you thought everyone knew Trudeau got elected, lol.

Of course, there may have been a dig there at the glacial pace of this thread, true.

We’re just in PK mode. 

9 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Jason Kenney is a piece of shit.

That is all. 

It is known. 

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

I was at a demonstration at Queen's Park today to protest healthcare cuts, along with about 10,000 others. Does Doug Ford dare to show his face? No. 

Well. At least that saves you from having to hear his voice. Sadly I can't avoid that listening to the radio...

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here. Dear Leader Doug Ford came to my workplace on Tuesday night to attend the opening of a new clinic funded by a huge private donation. Lots of plainclothes and uniformed security around keeping us regular people away from him while he was in attendance. As we regularly get politicians coming to where I work I have to contrast this visit with one by a former premier. Dalton McGuinty, while premier, also visited, and did not have a tenth of the security that Ford had, and went out of his way to pose for photos with the workers. I was one of those asked to come up and join him for a photo. 

I don't think our Dear Leader gives as much thought to his supposed base as he says he does at least judging by his actions. 

20 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Doug just wants to be a big shot and make up for his father's lack of accomplishment in politics. I'm sure he'll run the family label business into the ground, though, assuming he hasn't already. 

Funy thing but I just found out a friend had a friend who worked as a nanny for the Ford family when the kids were little. Ford senior was a mean and spiteful person according to the nanny. 

The cabinet minister who resigned to ‘treat addiction issues’, Jim Wilson, is now reported by 3 different Conservative sources to have resigned because of sexual misconduct allegations.

Conservatives once more show themselves to be hypocritical liars. No surprises there.

46 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The cabinet minister who resigned to ‘treat addiction issues’, Jim Wilson, is now reported by 3 different Conservative sources to have resigned because of sexual misconduct allegations.

Conservatives once more show themselves to be hypocritical liars. No surprises there.

And now we have another minister caught up in a sex scandal. Tony Clement.

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

And now we have another minister caught up in a sex scandal. Tony Clement.

Yup. And Clement got some unlikely defenders because their feeling is he's the ...victim... in all this.  Mmn hmn. He's got ridiculously high security clearance, and behavior like this would make him a target, but yeah sure. Tony's a victim. 

On another front, was anyone else as annoyed as I was about Trudeau not having called the Burnaby South by-election so Singh could step up? I really don't see any net benefit to being petty like that.  

15 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

On another front, was anyone else as annoyed as I was about Trudeau not having called the Burnaby South by-election so Singh could step up? I really don't see any net benefit to being petty like that.  

Old school politics to not call by-elections. Stuff he wasn’t supposed to do. Very annoyed.

Right? So... predictions on USMCA now? What about tariffs? Could be interesting come January. Does anyone think the PMO may change up on how they deal with the Trump admin now?

Now the word is that Tony Clement was more free with his sexting than he first admitted to being.  I guess enough people came out with stories about him that Scheer gave him the boot from caucus.

As to Jim Wilson, resigning because of addiction becomes resigning for accusations of sexual assault.  And then Dear Leader Doug says the addiction story was to protect the accuser. With that kind of reasoning, why doesn't he eliminate charging people with crimes? Damn, but Ford is stupid.

10 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Right? So... predictions on USMCA now? What about tariffs? Could be interesting come January. Does anyone think the PMO may change up on how they deal with the Trump admin now?

I can’t imagine it not passing. Trump is absolutely demented and if we announced we weren’t approving it God knows what the SOB would do in revenge.

His attitude has really affected my attitude towards the USA. Not towards individuals, but the country. I refuse to vacation there anymore, even though there are so many places I would love to see. I look at an election map and see I’d just be surrounded by Trump supporters.

I thought I’d miss American wine, but now I’m trying so many more European and South American wines. I won’t buy any of the American designer clothes anymore, I don’t care if it’s made in China. I look at labels more nowadays, and buy Canadian wherever I can. You can’t avoid American stores, they’ve wiped out Canadian stores, but I do what I can.

Things are going to get worse and worse in the US over the next two years as Trump tries to hang on to power. Things are going to get uglier and uglier.

Archived