Is Balon Alive

Howlin' Howland

In both cases he is dressed as a woman which fits the textual evidence that Beorn Snow pointed out. But I can't help but wonder if there are any other women he could have posed as in the mean time.

Not in the meantime, but the evidence is strong that he posed as Old Nan in the beginning of the series, scaring little stark children is just right up Balons alley. Sure they were most intersted in other tales, but (s)he slipped the occasional tale of the fearless Iron Islanders in there. To support my theory when he, without disguise, meets Theon the first time he directly has a fitting picture of him, how could that be if he had not seen him grow up in disguise, he knew he had love for the starks, why did he know that? Because he saw him grow up. And as soon as Balon becomes part of the story old nan suddenly vanishes. Theon theorieses (s)he is in the dreadfort dungeon but this is more of a educated guess, nothing more.

So let's recap this "Balon the crossdresser" theory.
After Theon is taken by the Starks Balon disguises himself as Old Nan. In the text Old Nan does tell Bran a story about Dagmar Cleftjaw. He meets Theon at Pyke early in aCoK and leaves Pyke shortly after Theon does. He makes his way to the river lands and kills and disguises himself as tGoHH where he tells tBwoB that he himself is dead. He notices Arya whom he knows from his time at Winterfell and decides to mess with her by saying there is a darkness in her (hey, he hates the Starks). Also while in the riverlands he disguises himself as Lady Smallwood just to put Arya in the stupidest looking dress in Westorosi history. He eventually makes his way to the Iron Islands were he disguises himself as the Dusky woman and makes his way to Mereen where he will try to steal Dany's identity.
That's what we got so far. Can anyone think of any more layers to it?

So let's recap this "Balon the crossdresser" theory.
After Theon is taken by the Starks Balon disguises himself as Old Nan. In the text Old Nan does tell Bran a story about Dagmar Cleftjaw. He meets Theon at Pyke early in aCoK and leaves Pyke shortly after Theon does. He makes his way to the river lands and kills and disguises himself as tGoHH where he tells tBwoB that he himself is dead. He notices Arya whom he knows from his time at Winterfell and decides to mess with her by saying there is a darkness in her (hey, he hates the Starks). Also while in the riverlands he disguises himself as Lady Smallwood just to put Arya in the stupidest looking dress in Westorosi history. He eventually makes his way to the Iron Islands were he disguises himself as the Dusky woman and makes his way to Mereen where he will try to steal Dany's identity.
That's what we got so far. Can anyone think of any more layers to it?

LOL. Stated like that it sounds more reasonable than HS=HR

"Balon" hasn't been alive in years. He died during the rebellion. Bloodraven warged him, and has been secretly ruling the Iron Islands for years. However Bloodraven had to warg Coldhands (secretly Rhaegar, he brought his body up there after Robert killed him) and it was just too many corpses to deal with moving around all the time. He didn't want anybody to get to get too close to the body and realise he had been dead for ages, so he just chucked it off the bridge. Problem solved.

Also lemons. 

Best answer.   :lol:

Balon has smoked pipe when Faceless man pushed him and he fell of the bridge into the sea. Fortunatly Moqorro was swimming there too so he has pulled Balon from the sea and kissed him so he can rise stronger and told him then: "What is dead may never die, Balon. You are Azor Ahai now because you are reborn among the salt (of the sea) and smoke (of your pipe - which was still in your mouth when I found you and by R'hlor's will the pipe still burned even when it was in the water). Go find some sword and stab it in your wife's heart to make a Lightbringer then go North and kill Others. As a reward R'hlor will give you North and you have your Iron Islands already. Yes, Euron will rule Iron Island for some time but I saw vision in the fire that he goes to Oldtown to batlle maesters, and some fat kid will kill him with a broken horn that can crash the Wall, but kid doesn't know that. Sorry, but I must swimm now to Slaver's Bay because I will have to take care for Victarion there so he could bring you dragons in aid. Untill our next meeting - farewell. Btw, you are old but you are good kisser, I'm glad I revived you."
Then Balon went North to find Theon and Asha to burn them both as sacrifice to R'hlor. Before that he secretly goes to kill his wife as Moqorro told him then jumps into the sea with a Lightbringer in his mouth and swims towards Stony Shore. All the time he was thinking about Moqorro and was somekind jelouse because he will kiss with Victarion too.

In both cases he is dressed as a woman which fits the textual evidence that Beorn Snow pointed out. But I can't help but wonder if there are any other women he could have posed as in the mean time.

A woman married to three different kings and still a virgin? Sure, there are excuses each time--this one is too gay, this one is too dead, this one is too young--but after a while, it starts to become obvious that something is up. Also, this explains why she asked Pycelle for moon tea. Balon doesn't know anything about women, and doesn't really want to, to the extent that he has no idea what moon tea is for, except that it's something women always seem to ask for after meeting him.

Of course he took some time off from King's Landing to also spy in Meereen. But not as Daario, as Missandei Butterfly. Unfortunately, he'd been a bit misled by his advisors Danon and Davidon, and didn't realize that the girl he'd be portraying was 10 years old and that Grey Worm would be a difficult seduction target even if she weren't. But he still got some useful information, when Dany admitted that she is only a weak young girl.

Finally, to attempt to get close to Robb, he disguised himself as Dacey Mormont. Unfortunately, Edwyn and Benfrey Frey recognized Dacey as Balon when she tried to dance with Edwyn. The Freys, believing Robb was pulling off some kind of evil deception despite having invoked guest right, panicked, and killed Robb and all of his men. And that's where Balon died.

However, since his death, he has been dressing up in Catelyn Stark's old clothes and commanding the BwB to get revenge on Edwyn Frey for doubting his femininity and refusing to dance with him.

Well, Balon Greyjoy was probably the most powerful house card in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game 2nd Edition, out of 42 available. Quite a feat, but since he died so early (ASoS first half?), I don't understand where his menacing reputation came from in the first place.

But really, he's among many characters killed before reaching their potential or achieving something meaningful. This series is full of shattered plans and forgotten dreams.

Archived