Robert's Rebellion: Comprehensive Timeline

FlyingCanary

Hi! I'm new to the forums, but I have been a lurker from time to time.

I have made a comprehensive Timeline of the events of Robert's Rebellion

Robert's Rebellion: Comprehensive Timeline

This timeline only contains the assumptions and intervals between the events, not the precise dates of the events of Robert's Rebellion.

To be able to do that, we need to know the precise date of Robb’s conception after Ned and Catelyn’s wedding, which obviously depends on Robb’s name day, which, in turn, depends on the date of the chapter Bran II of AGOT. Once we know a date of Robb's conception, we can easily estimate the other dates of RR under the assumptions given throughout the essay.

That is because Robb's conception it is placed in a very narrow period of time (scarcely a fortnight), all events of RR are directly or indirectly related to it, and we can estimate the location in the year of Robb’s name day thanks to the events of A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. That estimation can be done with the help of this secondary essay:
Precise relationship of Bran, Robb, Jon and Dany’s name days

It is a long read, but overall, I think it is worth it. I hope you like it, and if you disagree with anything, don't doubt to comment and leave your impressions.

Impressive! I don't expect the timeline to be fully consistent in the end, but that's not to say I don't appreciate your efforts to fit things together as precisely as possible.

One thing, about a SSM you refer to:

All of which is a long winded way of saying, no, Jon was not born "more than 1 year" before Dany... probably closer to eight or nine months or thereabouts.

I do intend to publish a timeline as an appendix in one or other of the later volumes, but even when I do, I am not certain I'm going to start detailing things down to months and days.

He gives himself a rather large wiggle room here. Probably 8-9 months, but anything up to a year would fit with this statement.

Also, re: false spring - as I understand the passage you quote from the World Book, the return of the winter was near the end of the year (As the year drew to a close, winter returned to Westeros with a vengeance. - suggesting that it was 'spring' up to that point). If so, that would put the tourney later in the year, more like October or even November. Although, you're right that it'd seem very early to already announce it in 280, if that was the case.

Aegon's birth: there's a SSM stating that 'At the time of the Sack, Aegon Targaryen was, "Still a babe at the breast. A year old, give or take a turn or two."', so late 281 seems a bit too early ... but then, that's pretty much what the WB implies :dunno: 

I think my timeline is consistent at the moment.

That quote from SSM about the timeline is the reason with I didn't adventure with precise dates, and instead I went with intervals.

The most "precise" assumption I made was the date of when Bran fell of the tower in AGOT that I borrowed from ASOIAF Timeline, but that date can be changed and it will influence Robb's name day and the other name days and the relative duration of the event's of RR previous to Robb's conception because they have to fit from Lyanna's abduction to Robb's conception date.

About the year of the false spring: I think that year could have been really like our years. With Spring about March, Summer about July, Automn in October and Winter coming at the end of the year.

About Aegon, he would be minimum 1 year and 6 months assuming: he was born at 01/01/282, Robb's conception minimum date is 10/09/282 assuming that when Bran fell of the tower was at 08/05/298 and Robb's name day was 2 weeks minimum after Bran's assassination attempt, but that can be changed; that Jon's name day was after Robb's and he was born 9 months after his conception (he was not premature) and the duration of the SSE was 10 months minimum

Thanks, fair enough about your name day calculation - I confess I have yet to read the full thing. I just thought you might be dismissing the "no more than a year" part of the quote, so I figured I'd mention that IMO Martin didn't sound all that certain about the 8-9 months.

Re: false spring - it could be like our normal year, but to me it sounds like it wasn't. A 'false' spring that lasted two months implies winter->spring* (2 months)->winter again. And how do you interpret that sentence about winter returning 'as the year grew to a close' to allow for the spring (therefore the tourney) coming early in the year, then? That's not a rhetorical question - if I'm wrong I'd like to understand what I'm missing.

*ETA I think it's said somewhere in the WB that there were no ravens from the Citadel, so I guess it wasn't officially a spring.

ETA, yes:

In the annals of Westeros, 281 AC is known as the Year of the False Spring. Winter had held the land in its icy grip for close on two years, but now at last the snows were melting, the woods were greening, the days were growing longer. Though the white ravens had not yet flown, there were many even at the Citadel of Oldtown who believed that winter's end was nigh.

. I just thought you might be dismissing the "no more than a year" part of the quote, so I figured I'd mention that IMO Martin didn't sound all that certain about the 8-9 months.

I think that it is really interesting that, when asked about Jon and Dany's birthdays being "more than a year", GRRM was especific enough to say 8-9 months or thereabouts. He could have said, "close to a year", or "less than that", but he gave a short interval of time

Edit: If the distance between Jon and Dany's birthdays was more than 9 months or even a year, then the birthday of Jon Snow would have to be moved previous to Dany's conception who is minimum nearly a month of the Tower of Joy. That means that the duration of Lyanna's postpastum complications has to be extended to unrealistic levels.

Imagine that Jon and Dany's birthday are separated by 12 months. Dany's conception was 9 months before his birthday. That means that between Jon Snow's birthday and Dany's conception there are 3 months. And the ToJ was 1 month minimum after Dany's conception. That means that Lyanna was having postpartum complications during 4 months.

Re: false spring - it could be like our normal year, but to me it sounds like it wasn't. A 'false' spring that lasted two months implies winter->spring* (2 months)->winter again. And how do you interpret that sentence about winter returning 'as the year grew to a close' to allow for the spring (therefore the tourney) coming early in the year, then? That's not a rhetorical question - if I'm wrong I'd like to understand what I'm missing.

Between Spring and Winter there has to be a little Summer and Autumn, right? But I could be wrong. I mean, the only thing I speculate is that the tourney was announced in late 280 AC, took place in 281 after March, lasted 2 months and Winter came at the end of the year.

In the annals of Westeros, 281 AC is known as the Year of the False Spring. Winter had held the land in its icy grip for close on two years, but now at last the snows were melting, the woods were greening, the days were growing longer. Though the white ravens had not yet flown, there were many even at the Citadel of Oldtown who believed that winter's end was nigh.

Oh, I didn't saw that passage (or don't remember it). That is the reason why it was a "false spring". It was believe that it was close, but then it only lasted 2 months. Maybe after that were a little Summer, Autumn and Winter at the end, or maybe not, and the tourney was late in the year and Spring was followed by Winter.

I saw a long time ago a theory that said that Howland Reed did magic of the Children of the Forest when he was in the Isle of Faces in the lake near Harrenhal, to change the seasons and make it "normal" and thats the reason why happened the year of the False Spring. Now that I remember it maybe is tinfoil, but back then it was convincing

That's an intriguing theory about Howland, one I'd very much like to read!

Jon's birth:

Fair enough. I'll agree that IF Lyanna died of postpartum complications (which is indeed the most straightforward explanation) then it's likely to be close to giving birth. However, it's still an assumption (however reasonable) and I'm now in the process of trying to 'unassume' as many things as possible, and re-examining all we're told about the Rebellion. So I guess we're working from a slightly different position here.

Back to the false spring:

I can't help but conclude that the Maester Yandel's account of the events is somewhat inconsistent. Stuff like announcement of a tourney, change of seasons, Aegon's birth - they're all hard facts that he should be able to get right; no room for speculation there. Unless we assume misinformation regarding Aegon's birth (seems unlikely to me, but there are lots of conspiracy theories out there, so who knows)

The False Spring of 281 AC lasted less than two turns. As the year drew to a close, winter returned to Westeros with a vengeance.

1. Either there was 2 months of spring at the end of the year, but winter suddenly came back. IMO this is the only interpretation that fits the text if I assume that the writer made an effort to accurately reflect what went down

or

2. good Maester Yandel  worded that passage poorly, and

2/a he meant that there was two months of spring at some point, then harsh winter (with a vengeance) came back at the end of the year, but there was a few months of mildly wintery weather in between that he neglected to mention or even hint at in any way

or

2/b same, except what he left out was that spring went onto a short sequence of apparent summer and autumn, as you suggest.

However, assuming case 1, that'd make it nearly impossible for Aegon to be born on Dragonstone before the new year (which is the only way "With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road..." can be accurate), or at least early enough for Rhaegar to not be at Dragonstone two weeks into the new year, as you point out in your analysis

So, either that passage is indeed poorly worded, or Yandel's account of Aegon's birth (and therefore Lyanna's abduction) is almost certainly inaccurate.

Out of the two, one poorly worded passage seems the smaller mistake, but I can't be sure :dunno:

---

Also, there's more about the announcement of the tourney:

ASoS, for context:

Jaime, meantime, had spent four years as squire to Ser Sumner Crakehall and earned his spurs against the Kingswood Brotherhood. But when he made a brief call at King’s Landing on his way back to Casterly Rock, chiefly to see his sister, Cersei took him aside and whispered that Lord Tywin meant to marry him to Lysa Tully, had gone so far as to invite Lord Hoster to the city to discuss dower. But if Jaime took the white, he could be near her always. Old Ser Harlan Grandison had died in his sleep, as was only appropriate for one whose sigil was a sleeping lion.

A moon’s turn later, a royal raven arrived at Casterly Rock to inform him that he had been chosen for the Kingsguard. He was commanded to present himself to the king during the great tourney at Harrenhal to say his vows and don his cloak.

WB:

In 281 AC, however, the aged Kingsguard knight Ser Harlan Grandison passed away in his sleep, and the uneasy accord between Aerys II and his Hand finally snapped, when His Grace chose to offer a white cloak to Lord Tywin’s eldest son.

later in same chapter:

Yet Grand Maester Pycelle tells us that when Aerys II announced Ser Jaime’s appointment from the Iron Throne, his lordship went to one knee and thanked the king for the great honor shown to his house. Then, pleading illness, Lord Tywin asked the king’s leave to retire as Hand.

then:

Shortly thereafter, Lord Walter Whent announced plans for a great tourney to be held at his seat at Harrenhal, to celebrate his maiden daughter’s nameday. King Aerys II chose this event for the formal investiture of Ser Jaime Lannister as a knight of the Kingsguard...

Now, it's possible that tentative plans were announced earlier, in 280, but from the above passages, it seems that the 'official' announcement came within a month of Jamie& Cersei's meeting (shortly after the Kingswood campaign and his knighting, and Grandison's death), in 281. I don't suppose you have a good guess what time of the year any of those happened? Or Jaime's birth, for that matter.

Thanks for showing your timeline, here is mine :)

I used to maintain a rich, loaded and colourful tapestry of Robellion events, but that got very cumbersome, so here is just my ...

Simple Robellion Timeline

... still without any figs, but with a few dates, real and estimated :)

It is a good timeline! :)  It fits my intervals, except Daenerys's conception and Robb's conception. The last one is from 15 to 30 of August of 282 and my minimum is 10 of September of 282, but that is because I estimated it from the date of the chapter Bran II of AGOT from the ASOIAF Timeline, but that can be changed.

About Daenery's conception, I think it has to be a week before the Battle of the Trident because Jonothor Darry was in KL with Jaime when Aerys had sex with Rhaella the night he burned Lord Chelsted. And Jon Darry died in the trident.

The rest fits perfectly: (Using DD/MM/YYY)

-2: 01/02/282

1 month and 8 days

-1: 09/03/282

3 days

0: 12/03/282

4 months and 21 days

1: 02/08/282

A week

2: 09/08/282

6 days

3: 15/08/282

A fortnight (Robb's conception)

4: 30/08/282

9 months

5: 30/05/283 --> Dany's conception: 01/06/283

A fortnight

6: 15/06/283

15 days

7: 30/06/283 (The Siege lasted 11 months) --> -15 days J'b: 16/06/283

15 days

8: 15/07/283 --> Lyanna has 1 month of postpartum complications

My distance from the Sack of KL to the end of the Siege is exactly a week, but that is to correctly fit the maximums and minimums when the Siege is minimum 10 months. Since the duration of the Siege in your timeline is 11 months, that is no problem.

Overall, it is really well thought. I didn't adventure with precise dates because I didn't like estimating things through travel speeds and distances. So, I make intervals instead.

That's an intriguing theory about Howland, one I'd very much like to read!

Jon's birth:

Fair enough. I'll agree that IF Lyanna died of postpartum complications (which is indeed the most straightforward explanation) then it's likely to be close to giving birth. However, it's still an assumption (however reasonable) and I'm now in the process of trying to 'unassume' as many things as possible, and re-examining all we're told about the Rebellion. So I guess we're working from a slightly different position here.

Back to the false spring:

I can't help but conclude that the Maester Yandel's account of the events is somewhat inconsistent. Stuff like announcement of a tourney, change of seasons, Aegon's birth - they're all hard facts that he should be able to get right; no room for speculation there. Unless we assume misinformation regarding Aegon's birth (seems unlikely to me, but there are lots of conspiracy theories out there, so who knows)

The False Spring of 281 AC lasted less than two turns. As the year drew to a close, winter returned to Westeros with a vengeance.

1. Either there was 2 months of spring at the end of the year, but winter suddenly came back. IMO this is the only interpretation that fits the text if I assume that the writer made an effort to accurately reflect what went down

or

2. good Maester Yandel  worded that passage poorly, and

2/a he meant that there was two months of spring at some point, then harsh winter (with a vengeance) came back at the end of the year, but there was a few months of mildly wintery weather in between that he neglected to mention or even hint at in any way

or

2/b same, except what he left out was that spring went onto a short sequence of apparent summer and autumn, as you suggest.

However, assuming case 1, that'd make it nearly impossible for Aegon to be born on Dragonstone before the new year (which is the only way "With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road..." can be accurate), or at least early enough for Rhaegar to not be at Dragonstone two weeks into the new year, as you point out in your analysis

So, either that passage is indeed poorly worded, or Yandel's account of Aegon's birth (and therefore Lyanna's abduction) is almost certainly inaccurate.

Out of the two, one poorly worded passage seems the smaller mistake, but I can't be sure :dunno:

---

Also, there's more about the announcement of the tourney:

ASoS, for context:

Jaime, meantime, had spent four years as squire to Ser Sumner Crakehall and earned his spurs against the Kingswood Brotherhood. But when he made a brief call at King’s Landing on his way back to Casterly Rock, chiefly to see his sister, Cersei took him aside and whispered that Lord Tywin meant to marry him to Lysa Tully, had gone so far as to invite Lord Hoster to the city to discuss dower. But if Jaime took the white, he could be near her always. Old Ser Harlan Grandison had died in his sleep, as was only appropriate for one whose sigil was a sleeping lion.

A moon’s turn later, a royal raven arrived at Casterly Rock to inform him that he had been chosen for the Kingsguard. He was commanded to present himself to the king during the great tourney at Harrenhal to say his vows and don his cloak.

WB:

In 281 AC, however, the aged Kingsguard knight Ser Harlan Grandison passed away in his sleep, and the uneasy accord between Aerys II and his Hand finally snapped, when His Grace chose to offer a white cloak to Lord Tywin’s eldest son.

later in same chapter:

Yet Grand Maester Pycelle tells us that when Aerys II announced Ser Jaime’s appointment from the Iron Throne, his lordship went to one knee and thanked the king for the great honor shown to his house. Then, pleading illness, Lord Tywin asked the king’s leave to retire as Hand.

then:

Shortly thereafter, Lord Walter Whent announced plans for a great tourney to be held at his seat at Harrenhal, to celebrate his maiden daughter’s nameday. King Aerys II chose this event for the formal investiture of Ser Jaime Lannister as a knight of the Kingsguard...

Now, it's possible that tentative plans were announced earlier, in 280, but from the above passages, it seems that the 'official' announcement came within a month of Jamie& Cersei's meeting (shortly after the Kingswood campaign and his knighting, and Grandison's death), in 281. I don't suppose you have a good guess what time of the year any of those happened? Or Jaime's birth, for that matter.

About the year of the false spring, I agree that the options 2a and 2b that you mentioned are the most probable.

mmm, that passages about Jaime are interesting. No, I haven't thought of Jaime's birthday yet.

It looks like an inconsistency the fact that Jaime was elected to the Kingsguard in 281 AC, when Grandison died, and then the tourney was announced with the previous fact that says that the tourney was announced in late 280 AC.

I think you are right and the 'official' announcement was in 281 AC and in 280 AC was the tentative plans.

Also, note that the quote says:

The tourney was FIRST announced by Walter Whent, Lord of Harrenhal, late in the year 280 AC

So, it could be announced a second time after Jaime and Cersei's meeting.

Edit: Another suggestion is that the events are very close to each other:

Jaime and Cersei's meeting was very late in 280 AC. Walter Whent first announced the tourney late in the year 280 AC.

Then, Jaime arrives at Casterly Rock. Grandison died. It is the beginning of year 281 AC.

Aerys decides Ser Jaime’s appointment from the Iron Throne. The news of the tourney, announced in late 280 AC, arrives at KL. Aerys sent a raven telling Jaime that he is going to be elected to the KL at the tourney.

JonCons statement of the Battle of the Bells having been 17 years past is made in mid 300 AC. If the battle had occured in the final months of 282 AC, that would have been more than 17,5 years until the statement was made, and most logically, such a statement would then say 18 years, not 17 years, imo.

But if the Battle of the Bells happened in 283, you are saying that between Lyanna's abduction (-2),which maximum date I assumed was 01/04/282, because the WB says:

With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants, on a journey that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands. Not ten leagues from Harrenhal, Rhaegar fell upon Lyanna Stark of Winterfell.

and the Battle of the Bells (2), there was a minimum of 9 months. If Lyanna was abducted at 01/02/282, there would have been minimum 11 months. I don't think the time between the start of the rebellion and the Siege of Storm's End was that much.

Wow. OP, great job and thank you. Nicely put together and organized.  :thumbsup:

But if the Battle of the Bells happened in 283, you are saying that between Lyanna's abduction (-2),which maximum date I assumed was 01/04/282, because the WB says:

With the coming of the new year, the crown prince had taken to the road with half a dozen of his closest friends and confidants, on a journey that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands. Not ten leagues from Harrenhal, Rhaegar fell upon Lyanna Stark of Winterfell.

and the Battle of the Bells (2), there was a minimum of 9 months. If Lyanna was abducted at 01/02/282, there would have been minimum 11 months. I don't think the time between the start of the rebellion and the Siege of Storm's End was that much.

No :)

'that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands' (bolded that part in your quote) doesn't sound to me that Rhaegar met Lyanna shortly aftes starting his journey. It more sounds like he went elsewhere first.

In addition, Littlefingers age mentionings suggest that his duel against Brandon took place a few months into the year at least (I've found a minimum of 4,25, but most logically it was slightly more, probably). Lyanna disappeared only after, as Brandon left Riverrun after the duel, and learned about Lyanna only on his way back.

In addition, the entire war seems to have ended rather late in the year. Write a general timeline and look at Robb's nameday location, or Daenerys'.. Jon's unfortunately, is mentioned specifically only once, but mixed in with the larger timeline problems of the series..

But for Daenerys, her birth occurred nine months after she fled KL, between the Trident and the Sack. That's a timewindow of a fortnight, as Rossart was Hand for a fortnight, and twoiaf only mentions Rossart as a new Hand after Rhaegars death (granted, that one might be for personal interpretation, but take note that Aemond Targaryen marched his army with a normal pace to Harrenhal (not that far from the Trident) in 19 days; Ned, riding somewhat faster, will have taken a little less time, which makes the fortnight makes sense). Nowhere is it stated that Aerys named Rossart the night Chelsted was burned, and as Chelsteds end of office came unsuspectedly, Aerys would probably have taken time to consider who to name next.

Look at Dany's pregnancy in agot. She notices the swell on her 14th nameday. That would have been around the middle to end of the second month. Flashforward to the birth. She wakes days afterwards, kills Drogo shortly after that, and burns him, and sights the red comet as the first person, for the first time. That comet appears in 299 AC, and quite a few weeks into 299 AC. I've calculated that everything since (and including) Catelyn and Robb's visit to the Twins where Robb's bethrotal has been made, took place in 299 AC). Look at the battles that occurred between that visit and Neds death (he was still alive during the Whispering Wood). It is only after news of Neds death has reached Winterfell, that the red comet first becomes visible for those in Westeros (and during day-light, no longer only during night, as happened for Daenerys).

So if the birth of Rhaego took place in the first month of the year, count back seven months until her fourteenth nameday, and you'll find yourself somewhere in the sixth month.

Also the Sack.. While Tywin wasn't sure whether Rhaenys' nameday had already passed at that time (doubting whether she was two or three), the app states she was three when she died. If you wish to include app info as well, it would suggest her nameday had already passed (and Tywins statement as that it had been close to her nameday, suggesting it had just passed, perhaps only days ago). Rhaenys was born some 9 months into the year 280 AC.

So I have learned a lot about spreadsheets at google.

I fixed the broken time format and added all the dependencies back in that got lost in translation. I added more time constants (F). I fixed the calculations for War and siege duration and, Aegon's age. @Rhaenys: Do you think I should also add Rhaenys' age to some avail? :)

If you like, look again: Simple Robellion Timeline

I hope I get to format those split quotes right...

It fits my intervals, except Daenerys's conception and Robb's conception. The last one is from 15 to 30 of August of 282 and my minimum is 10 of September of 282, but that is because I estimated it from the date of the chapter Bran II of AGOT from the ASOIAF Timeline, but that can be changed.

About Daenery's conception, I think it has to be a week before the Battle of the Trident because Jonothor Darry was in KL with Jaime when Aerys had sex with Rhaella the night he burned Lord Chelsted. And Jon Darry died in the trident.

Given @Rhaenys_Targaryen's newly added information (comet, Rhaego, Dany's nameday/pregnancy visible), those dates get pushed back some 4 months from my timeline and some 2-3 months from what you said :

Now Robb is conceived around 282-11-24 and Dany 283-08-25

Jon Weirgaryen:

Can you please tell me what SSM is the number 1040?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. It was the one about the Chronology

Yes, Chronology (SSM 1040). Other SSMs have longish titles, but they can easily be found by their number, too.

JonCons statement of the Battle of the Bells having been 17 years past is made in mid 300 AC. If the battle had occured in the final months of 282 AC, that would have been more than 17,5 years until the statement was made, and most logically, such a statement would then say 18 years, not 17 years, imo.

That's a very clever but also complicated argumentation. JonCon may also have been mistaken. And saying 18 years ago if it is still a few months short of it, would also be incorrect, strictly speaiking. But people do it all the time, unless they are older than 20 and talk about their age. Since Rhaego's birth seems to back it, the argument passes :)

I now have the BOB earliest 282-11-18.

In addition, Littlefingers age mentionings suggest that his duel against Brandon took place a few months into the year at least (I've found a minimum of 4,25, but most logically it was slightly more, probably). Lyanna disappeared only after, as Brandon left Riverrun after the duel, and learned about Lyanna only on his way back.

I found Petyr's age mentions so very convoluted I could not make head or tail of it. So I looked at your writing on the wiki and also in the ASoIaF timeline for AGoT 18 Catelyn IV which leads to 298-08-06.

So Petyr maybe turns 30 in the year 298 after 298-08-06 meaning he is born after 268-08-06 and shy of 15 until at least 283-08-06 in order for his duel with Brandon. Meaning from that point of view the duel should be well after 282-08-06 and that should be well before Lyanna's abduction.

Unfortunately there's no way to fit that together into the timeline.

In addition, the entire war seems to have ended rather late in the year. Write a general timeline and look at Robb's nameday location, or Daenerys'.. Jon's unfortunately, is mentioned specifically only once, but mixed in with the larger timeline problems of the series.

That's my impression too. Do you know of some handy knowledge to back that claim up, easily?

Robb, Jon and Dany's birth years are what I'd come up with as far as we know them.

And besides?

But for Daenerys, her birth occurred nine months after she fled KL, between the Trident and the Sack. That's a timewindow of a fortnight, as Rossart was Hand for a fortnight, and twoiaf only mentions Rossart as a new Hand after Rhaegars death (granted, that one might be for personal interpretation, but take note that Aemond Targaryen marched his army with a normal pace to Harrenhal (not that far from the Trident) in 19 days; Ned, riding somewhat faster, will have taken a little less time, which makes the fortnight makes sense). Nowhere is it stated that Aerys named Rossart the night Chelsted was burned, and as Chelsteds end of office came unsuspectedly, Aerys would probably have taken time to consider who to name next.

Look at Dany's pregnancy in agot. She notices the swell on her 14th nameday. That would have been around the middle to end of the second month. Flashforward to the birth. She wakes days afterwards, kills Drogo shortly after that, and burns him, and sights the red comet as the first person, for the first time. That comet appears in 299 AC, and quite a few weeks into 299 AC. I've calculated that everything since (and including) Catelyn and Robb's visit to the Twins where Robb's bethrotal has been made, took place in 299 AC). Look at the battles that occurred between that visit and Neds death (he was still alive during the Whispering Wood). It is only after news of Neds death has reached Winterfell, that the red comet first becomes visible for those in Westeros (and during day-light, no longer only during night, as happened for Daenerys).

So if the birth of Rhaego took place in the first month of the year, count back seven months until her fourteenth nameday, and you'll find yourself somewhere in the sixth month.

This is so good, I put it into the Simple Robellion Timeline structure. Will back it up with the chapters where that's mentioned shortly.

Also the Sack.. While Tywin wasn't sure whether Rhaenys' nameday had already passed at that time (doubting whether she was two or three), the app states she was three when she died. If you wish to include app info as well, it would suggest her nameday had already passed (and Tywins statement as that it had been close to her nameday, suggesting it had just passed, perhaps only days ago). Rhaenys was born some 9 months into the year 280 AC.

I remember asking above. Should I put in Rhaenys? Or will that become a not-so-simple Robellion timeline then? ;-)

I wanted to edit above post, but it is getting so garbled that I cannot save it in a useful post. It seems to start where I wanted to link to Petyr Baelish's name day calculation on the wiki. I am sorry. What I had to add is:

I moved all dates starting with the abduction forward 5 days so it aligns with the comet and Rhaego's birth in the Vandal Proof ASoIaF Timeline there. So I edited the dates in this post accordingly. Well I did not, as I could not, but they are updated in the spreadsheet.

eta: and correcting a mistake in linking to a constant in one place changed the start by another 18 days

There are two posibilities assuming that JonCon made that statement at the mid of 300 AC:

1) That the Battle of the bells was in late 282 and therefore his 18th anniversary has no happened yet, but will happen in that year.

2) That the Battle of the bells was in early 283 and therefore his 17th anniversary happened already in that year.

The two are possible, but the last one forces to extends the events previous to the Battle of the Bells to "unlikely" durations.

No :)

'that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands' (bolded that part in your quote) doesn't sound to me that Rhaegar met Lyanna shortly aftes starting his journey. It more sounds like he went elsewhere first.

That is why I put the maximum date of Lyanna's abduction at 01/04/282. Because with the coming of the new year (let's say 15/01/282) Rhaegar had taken to the road on a jorney that would ultimately lead him back to the riverlands. There is some time between Rhaegar taken to the road and Lyanna's abduction. To the road, for me indicates that he was already on land, on westeros, not sailing from dragonstone. So, that would be, (for me) a maximum of 2.5 months for Rhaegar to arrive at the riverlands and abduct Lyanna.

In addition, Littlefingers age mentionings suggest that his duel against Brandon took place a few months into the year at least (I've found a minimum of 4,25, but most logically it was slightly more, probably). Lyanna disappeared only after, as Brandon left Riverrun after the duel, and learned about Lyanna only on his way back..

I haven't check out Littlefinger's name day, but I had always assumed that the duel was between the tourney of Harrenhal and Lyanna's abduction, so I'll put it in late 281 AC, but when I had finished of examine Littlefinger's age, I'll give you a better answer.

In addition, the entire war seems to have ended rather late in the year. Write a general timeline and look at Robb's nameday location, or Daenerys'.. Jon's unfortunately, is mentioned specifically only once, but mixed in with the larger timeline problems of the series..

Yes, the entire war seems to have ended at the second half of 283, but that is compatible with the Battle of the Bells being in late 282.

I have already made a tiny and unspecific timeline and relationship of Bran, Robb, Jon and Dany's name days and conceptions that depends on the day that Bran fell of the tower in AGOT Bran II.

Precise relationship of Bran, Robb, Jon and Dany’s name days

Assuming AGOT Bran II was at 05/08/298 from ASOIAF Timeline (date that seems that have been examined and possible) and that Robb's day was 2 weeks minimum from Bran's assassination attempt because Catelyn remembered that Robb was only 14, and that Robb's name day has to be before Jon's, and Jon's name day is a fortnight before he hears the news that Bran woke up, I estimated that Robb's conception minimum date was at 10/09/282 and his maximum (from the assumptions of the durations of the RR events made in my timeline) was at 08/11/282. If the Battle of the Bells was in 283 (and it was before N&C's wedding), that would mean that the dates and durations of the previous dates have to be extended, and I think that I have already put "unlikely" durations for my maximums already.

Yes, Rossart was Hand for a fortnight. I think that this passage states that Rossart was named Hand inmediatly after Lord Chelsted:

A Storm of Swords - Jaime V

He did all he could to dissuade him. He reasoned, he jested, he threatened, and finally he begged. When that failed he took off his chain of office and flung it down on the floor. Aerys burnt him alive for that, and hung his chain about the neck of Rossart, his favorite pyromancer.

The same night, Aerys had sex with Rhaella, wich resulted in Dany's conception. And Jon Darry was present. And he die at the Battle of the Trident. Assuming that Rossart was hand for a fortnight, that means that between Dany's conception and the Sack of KL, there is a fortnight. And I think it is safe to assume that Aerys didn't ahd sex with Rhaella after that because:

A Feast for Crows - Jaime II

Jaime had only seen Rhaella once after that, the morning of the day she left for Dragonstone.

And Jaime was with Aerys nearly all the time. If Aerys had sex with Rhaella after that, Jaime would have to be guarding the king outside the room. Anyway, if he did have sex with Rhaella after that, the time of Dany's birth would not change, since we know for sure that she was born 9 turns after Rhaella left KL.

How do you know that Catelyn and Robb's vitist to the Twins was in 299?. Not questioning it, just asking information for it :)

That seems interesting. Also, good job about the birth of Rhaego.

Anyway, that fits in my timeline:

I have stimated that Daenerys' birthday was between 24/03/294 and 08/06/284.

The age of Rhaenys also fits If she was 3 years old around 01/09/283 minimum, becuase my maximum estimation of the end of the Siege of Storm's End is in 01/10/283 and therefore, the Sack would be around 22/09/283.

What do you think? :)

---------------------------------------------

(Can I quote two different persons in one post?, I'll figure it out)

So I have learned a lot about spreadsheets at google.

I fixed the broken time format and added all the dependencies back in that got lost in translation. I added more time constants (F). I fixed the calculations for War and siege duration and, Aegon's age. @Rhaenys: Do you think I should also add Rhaenys' age to some avail? :)

If you like, look again: Simple Robellion Timeline

I hope I get to format those split quotes right...

I would take a look ^^

iven @Rhaenys_Targaryen's newly added information (comet, Rhaego, Dany's nameday/pregnancy visible), those dates get pushed back some 4 months from my timeline and some 2-3 months from what you said :

Now Robb is conceived around 282-11-24 and Dany 283-08-25

Dany's conception fits in my timeline. My maximum Robb's conception is 08/11/282. To prolonge it, I would have to increase the maximum of the date of Lyanna's abduction or the time between the start of the Rebellion and the Siege of Storm's End.

Archived