Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

Are we going full WoR spoilers in this thread since it is a book 3 discussion?

Just in case...

[spoiler]I liked WoR quite a bit, but was really let down when Jasnah returned at the end. Her death caught me absolutely off guard and then much of the book lost emotional impact when she showed up at the end.[/spoiler]

Yeah I feel the same way about that incident. It was a cheap way to up the tension.

I liked WoR because it expanded the world, and it seems to me Shallan is (dreadful though her humor is) more poised to explore the more interesting aspects of the world. I did detest Kaladin in WoR, though. His "realization" was cheap and absurd.

Yeah I feel the same way about that incident. It was a cheap way to up the tension.

I liked WoR because it expanded the world, and it seems to me Shallan is (dreadful though her humor is) more poised to explore the more interesting aspects of the world. I did detest Kaladin in WoR, though. His "realization" was cheap and absurd.

I really liked Kaladin in the first book, but was bored a bit by him in the second.

Are we going full WoR spoilers in this thread since it is a book 3 discussion?

Just in case...

[spoiler]I liked WoR quite a bit, but was really let down when Jasnah returned at the end. Her death caught me absolutely off guard and then much of the book lost emotional impact when she showed up at the end.[/spoiler]

I am going to have to reread this book, I don't remember this at all, lol.

I really liked Kaladin in the first book, but was bored a bit by him in the second.

It's because the first book was actual character development.  The second book was centered around him learning his powers.... and took hundreds of pages to do so.  It was boring.

I am going to have to reread this book, I don't remember this at all, lol.

[spoiler]She "died" on the ship when it was attacked. (By Ghostbloods? I don't remember. Too many secret factions.) In the epilogue scene she shows up and it turns out she was just off somewhere in the Fade or whatever its called learning to be epic and awesome or some such.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]She "died" on the ship when it was attacked. (By Ghostbloods? I don't remember. Too many secret factions.) In the epilogue scene she shows up and it turns out she was just off somewhere in the Fade or whatever its called learning to be epic and awesome or some such.[/spoiler]

Does this really need to be spoiler tagged?

[spoiler]I am not 100 percent convinced that she is actually "back." I think this could wind up being some kind of a red herring and it's not actually what it seemed to imply in the epilogue. Granted, that may be just wishful thinking on my part though.[/spoiler]

Does this really need to be spoiler tagged?
[spoiler]I am not 100 percent convinced that she is actually "back." I think this could wind up being some kind of a red herring and it's not actually what it seemed to imply in the epilogue. Granted, that may be just wishful thinking on my part though.[/spoiler]

Dunno. The title of the post does not clearly delineate spoilers... So I erred on the side of caution. :dunno:

ETA: and regarding your spoiler bit... That's a level of subtlety that I don't think I credit Sanderson with. Not to mention a totally unnecessary cop out that would have his Wheel of Time-esque fan base furious.

ETA: and regarding your spoiler bit... That's a level of subtlety that I don't think I credit Sanderson with. Not to mention a totally unnecessary cop out that would have his Wheel of Time-esque fan base furious.

You're probably right. I just sorta hope he goes the other way with it, because if it is what it looks like, that's a bit too cliched for my liking. 

You're probably right. I just sorta hope he goes the other way with it, because if it is what it looks like, that's a bit too cliched for my liking.

Yes, mine too. I really thought "man... this guy's playing for keeps" when it first happened only to be totally let down later.

• 4 months later...

http://brandonsanderson.com/national-novel-writing-month-recap/

So where do we stand as this month ends? Well, I got my 50k, but the book is still sitting at only 137k words. That’s roughly 1/3 of the way completed — assuming it’s around the length of Words of Radiance, which I’m hoping will be the case. (I’m not sure how much longer Tor will let me go.) There’s still a great deal of work to do on this book.

I can’t really project a release date. Peter and Isaac have been very clear with me that we need more time for editing, revision, continuity, and art than we had on Words of Radiance. We’ll make a call on release dates sometime around when I turn the book in next spring or summer. It could be out next year, but Peter and Isaac want you all to be ready for a 2017 release instead. We’ll know more once I actually finish.

If the length is accurate, I may skip the next book. I have so much that I want to read and not near enough time to get to everything.  Life's too short for a 1,000+ page average fantasy. 

I agree with those who prefer Kaladin in Way of Kings.  He was way more interesting as a down and out bridge boy.  And I actually like Shallan as long as she's not trying to be funny. 

I'm convinced that Brandon Sanderson has sold his soul to the Mormon version of the devil (is it just the regular devil?) to mass produce so many quality works.  I have not disliked anything I've read by him yet.  

Yeah, he's not the best fantasy author out there by any means, but I also haven't disliked anything of his that I've read, which says a lot.  He just pumps out solid work at an insane pace.

Slightly disappointing. Back in the day, Brandon said that Way of Kings was going to be the longest book in the series by far and the rest would be saner in size and he'd get them out every 18-24 months. It'll be unfortunate if that's not going to happen. Also, it makes the series rather unsustainable at 3 years per book (minimum) for a 10 book series. If Book 4 comes out in 2020 - ten years after Book 1 - that's going to be a bit of an issue at completing the series in a reasonable timeframe, especially given the mid-series gap he's going to take to do the second proper Mistborn trilogy.

Slightly disappointing. Back in the day, Brandon said that Way of Kings was going to be the longest book in the series by far and the rest would be saner in size and he'd get them out every 18-24 months. It'll be unfortunate if that's not going to happen. Also, it makes the series rather unsustainable at 3 years per book (minimum) for a 10 book series. If Book 4 comes out in 2020 - ten years after Book 1 - that's going to be a bit of an issue at completing the series in a reasonable timeframe, especially given the mid-series gap he's going to take to do the second proper Mistborn trilogy.

He'll probably still get it done before Martin finishes Ice & Fire.

Archived