Here's Sanderson's recent update to Stormlight #3

johndance

also you need to take the Gaiman hare boner you have somewhere else bro, no one bought into your bullshit last time.

No particular or personal hate about Gaiman. It happens all the time in comics book world, only that it usually happens with the artists. After they got famous guys like Madrueira, McFarlane or Jim Lee learned to make others do their job and simply enjoyed drawing the occasional cover or concept art.

It's a "fandom" type of deal and it happens every time some writer reaches some elevated state. Rothfuss is basically there too.

It's just that Gaiman is a perfect example. It took him two full years to release the latest Sandman mini-series. That's 6 issues. For something he probably planned for a long time. The same happened when Whedon was writing X-men, he just couldn't write the scripts on time.

The super-stars play by different rules and Sanderson is quickly getting there.

The super-stars play by different rules and Sanderson is quickly getting there.

Sanderson may very well be getting to super star status, but...

He seems like a different sort of cat all together than the others you've mentioned. Now, that doesn't mean he won't fall into the same trap, but I think his work ethic and mentality toward writing seems to be at a different level than any of those others were every at.

Sanderson has said that while he enjoys conventions and tours and such, he sees them more as an obligation of the job, and that he would rather be at home writing.  That's a pretty stark contrast to Martin and Rothfuss.

I wouldn't mind if he stopped touring altogether.  I don't give much of a shit about meeting authors.

• 10 months later...

Oathbringer is going to be a massive novel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/51u8qu/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_4/

I'm pretty sure that the final wordcount will be in the 450k range, which is why I have slowed the percentage bar velocity a tad. (Goal is for Part Four to be around 100k words, Part Five to be around 25k, and the interludes to take around 25k. Then I'll trim the book before publication, getting it down to around 450k.)

Longer than A Storm of Swords (419k words).

On 11/5/2016 at 9:36 AM, Jussi said:

Oathbringer is going to be a massive novel:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/51u8qu/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_4/

Longer than A Storm of Swords (419k words).

:stunned: 

I remember when he said only TWoK would be a massive doorstopper novel. :lol: 

Sanderson gave an update on Facebook today.  Said he bumped up the progress bar on Stormlight 3 to 90%.  In the comments, he said this:

Brandon Sanderson I should finish it sometime this month, and it should come out about a year later. (Editing on these books takes a LONG time.)

So perhaps late 2017.

New update:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/5dpic4/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_5/

Maybe under 450k words after all:

Part Four is done as of half an hour ago. The part is around 80k words long, and brings the book total so far to 420k words. Final book is still projected at 450k, though I do plan to try to trim it back in revision. (Tor's book binding company can't do a book longer than Words of Radiance, so if I go longer, we have to shrink the font or change binders. I won't cut important parts of the book just to meet this length requirement, but I also generally need to trim significantly in revisions to tighten language.)

Also:

Together with other projects, that will make three and a half years between books two and three. So I do beg your patience with this series. The books take a lot out of me, and while I'm very proud of the result--and consider this series to be my opus--the novels aren't going to be terribly fast in their release schedule.

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 0:50 AM, TheRevanchist said:

People who haven't been born yet will finish their epic sagas before Rothfuss starts writing the third book in the trilogy.

For Martin, Lynch, and Rothfuss I give them all about 6 years to publish a book. Anything that takes less is just a pleasant surprise. It's all about managing expectations. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

the difference  being Martin and Lynch actually are writing theirs.

I'm a little confused on what's going on with Doors of Stone; perhaps someone can clarify? Its my understanding the book is already written (there is a picture on the web of a huge manuscript) and he spends his time, when he does find time to work, endlessly polishing the story. Almost like he believes that he is a Virgil trying to perfect the Aeneid.

Archived