Theory for the Conclusion of a Major Part of the Saga in ADoS

Mithras

This is a theory about how I see the conclusion of a major part of the series in ADoS. I think George might not have decided how exactly he will get to this ending in detail but this ending more or less should be his endgame.

Here is the draft:

• Dany will defeat Dorne as the last stronghold pursuing fAegon’s cause. Then, she will march on the KL.
  • At this time, Cersei will still be in charge at the KL. Because neither Dany nor fAegon will have the opportunity or desire to take the KL while their rival lives.
  • Sansa will be a hostage of Cersei again.
  • The Mad Queen will reactivate the wildfire plot of Aerys.
  • Arya (having killed Varys in KL already and witnessed the unstoppable UnGregor), will assemble a rescue team to get Sansa out of there before it is too late. She will need a team to be able to deal with the looming UnGregor.
  • Arya will recruit Sandor for the task. Brienne and Pod will also be in the team. Jaime will help them from inside (probably after Brienne tells him that she is carrying his child). Cersei, like Aerys, will command Jaime to slay the intruders, especially Brienne whom she will be rightfully suspicious of having an affair with Jaime. Jon will join this team too. After all, UnGregor is a creature of necromancy, a threat to the Realm and his vows allow him to deal with this monster just like regular wights.
  • Arya will lead the team through the secret passages she already know and will have learned more.
  • Here we will finally have the Cleganebowl. Sandor will manage to slay UnGregor but he will not survive the fight. Pod will slay another KG (Osmund) but he will also take mortal wounds and die at the feet of Sansa.
  • Jaime will go into the throne room and strangle Cersei with the Hand’s chain. Since he only has a single hand, Cersei will manage to draw his dagger and mortally wound him.
  • This time, no one will be able to stop the pyromancers.
  • The KL will be burned to crisp by wildfire.
  • I will not be surprised if Arya dies in the confrontation, possibly staying by the wounded and dying Sandor while the wildfire rages around them and the ceiling collapses.

This chain of events will happen mid to end of ADoS.

I will save the explanations of the quotes for discussions in the further posts.

Foreshadowing for Jaime killing Cersei

“Lord Hallyne has assured me that his pyromancers can control the fire.” The Guild of Alchemists had been brewing fresh wildfire for a fortnight. “Let all of King’s Landing see the flames. It will be a lesson to our enemies.”

“Now you sound like Aerys.”

Her nostrils flared. “Guard your tongue, ser.”

“I love you too, sweet sister.”    

How could I ever have loved that wretched creature? she wondered after he had gone. He was your twin, your shadow, your other half, another voice whispered. Once, perhaps, she thought. No longer. He has become a stranger to me.

She thought of Joffrey, clawing at his neck. In his last moments he had looked to her in desperate appeal, and a sudden memory had stopped her heart; a drop of red blood hissing in a candle flame, a croaking voice that spoke of crowns and shrouds, of death at the hands of the valonqar.

“And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.”

Tyrion slid a hand under his father’s chain, and twisted. The links tightened, digging into her neck. “For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman’s hands are warm,” he said.

“No more than I want Joy to marry the son of some scheming turncloak bitch. She deserves better.” Jaime would happily have strangled the woman [Sybell Westerling] with her seashell necklace.

Note that a single hand is enough to strangle someone with a necklace.

Foreshadowing for Cersei killing Jaime

I thought that I was the Warrior and Cersei was the Maid, but all the time she was the Stranger, hiding her true face from my gaze.

“Prince Aemon the Dragonknight [parallel to Jaime] cried the day Princess Naerys [parallel to Cersei] wed his brother Aegon,” Sansa Stark said, “and the twins Ser Arryk and Ser Erryk died with tears on their cheeks after each had given the other a mortal wound.”

Foreshadowing for Jaime and Cersei dying together

I cannot die while Cersei lives, he told himself. We will die together as we were born together.

“My queen,” said Qyburn, “have you... forgotten? Ser Jaime has no sword hand. If he should champion you and lose...”

We will leave this world together, as we once came into it. “He will not lose. Not Jaime. Not with my life at stake.”

“Jaime? Have you had word?”

“None. Cersei, you may need to prepare yourself for—”

“If he were dead, I would know it. We came into this world together, Uncle. He would not go without me.”

Foreshadowing for the Rescue Operation

“I have made kings and unmade them. Sansa Stark is my last chance for honor.” Jaime smiled thinly. “Besides, kingslayers should band together.”

“True knights.” The queen seemed to find that wonderfully amusing. “No doubt you’re right. So why don’t you just eat your broth like a good girl and wait for Symeon Star-Eyes [parallel of Brienne] and Prince Aemon the Dragonknight [parallel of Jaime] to come rescue you, sweetling. I’m sure it won’t be very long now.”

Sansa turned toward the sept. Two stableboys [foreshadowing to Arya and Pod] followed, and one of the guards whose watch was ended [foreshadowing to Jon]. Others fell in behind them.

“If it is Sandor Clegane that we encounter, what would you have me do?”

Pray hard, Jaime thought, and run. “Send him to join his beloved brother and be glad the gods made seven hells. One would never be enough to hold both of the Cleganes.”

Near the kennels a group of men-at-arms were fighting a pair of dogs. Tyrion stopped long enough to see the smaller dog tear half the face off the larger one, and earned a few coarse laughs by observing that the loser now resembled Sandor Clegane.

You stupid girl, the queen thought, angry even now. Jaime does not even know you are alive. Back then her brother lived only for swords [Arya] and dogs [Sandor] and horses [Brienne]... and for her, his twin.

He looked south, and saw the great blue-green rush of the Trident. He saw his father pleading with the king, his face etched with grief. He saw Sansa crying herself to sleep at night, and he saw Arya watching in silence and holding her secrets hard in her heart. There were shadows all around them. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound [=Sandor]... Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful [=Jaime]... Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood [=UnGregor].

“I’ve heard his lordship say this war began when the Hand sent him out to bring the king’s justice to Gregor Clegane, and that’s how he means for it to end.”

Foreshadowing for the Hour of the Wolf

Ned tried a swallow. “Dregs.” He felt as though he were about to bring the wine back up.

“All men must swallow the sour with the sweet. High lords and eunuchs alike. Your hour [The Hour of the Wolf] has come, my lord.”

“My daughters…”

It was late at night, during the hour of the wolf, when the remaining lords departed the council chamber, leaving Maegor to brood alone. Early the next morning, he was found dead on the throne, his robes sodden with blood, his arms slashed open by the barbs of the Iron Throne.

Lord Cregan Stark held sway at court. This came to be known as the Hour of the Wolf.

Ned was quite concerned for his daughters. Ned’s spirit might ask Jon to save them when the time comes. The Hour of the Wolf is named after a Stark coming down to the KL, kicking ass, doing justice and leaving. Also noteworthy that Maegor was last seen alive during the hour of the wolf. Cersei will surely steal some pages from Maegor’s book.

One nitpick to kick things off.  What the hell are all of these characters doing so far South in the middle of DoS?  There are white walkers to defeat.

Remember,  they are dreaming of Spring.  That means there must be a devastating Winter in progress.

One nitpick to kick things off.  What the hell are all of these characters doing so far South in the middle of DoS?  There are white walkers to defeat.

Remember,  they are dreaming of Spring.  That means there must be a devastating Winter in progress.

Which is why cities are better places to be in a Long Night situation than small villages in the countryside. It is much easier to defend a walled city than a village. Watchers of the walls, remember?

After the treatment Cersei received at the hands of the Faith, the HS, and the septas, I would not be surprised to see history repeat when she has the pyromancers ignite wildfire beneath the Great Sept after having the doors barred.  She will want them to burn.

ETA:  Maegor the Cruel burned the sept during his war with the Faith.  We know that caches of wildfire have been found hidden beneath the sept previously.  Cersei has demonstrated a fondness for wildfire flames (burning the Red Keep) and a fondness for revenge.

In general, I think way to much has to happen in between now and then for us to predict the end game, when you make assumptions or theories and then base more theories off them the probability just drops exponentially, so the likelihood for being wrong becomes overwhelming, however I definitely agree that Arya kills Varys, that we get Cleganebowl, and that Cersei and Jaime kill each other.

In general, I think way to much has to happen in between now and then for us to predict the end game, when you make assumptions or theories and then base more theories off them the probability just drops exponentially, so the likelihood for being wrong becomes overwhelming, however I definitely agree that Arya kills Varys, that we get Cleganebowl, and that Cersei and Jaime kill each other.

True. But as we can agree, George foreshadowed certain plot points quite heavily. Even if he does not fully know yet how, he will get there. My theory is an attempt to connect these dots.

I can see a large number of POVs being pushed south due to the Others, maybe all the way to KL for refuge. I think it is possible that, near the end, you have many POVs inside KL, Others surrounding it, and Cersei (or someone else) enacting the Wildfire plot.

KL engulfed in uncontrollable fire on the inside, death by cold and Others on the outside.

Jaime killing Cersei to prevent it makes sense, but Qyburn gets away and... poof!

Though I can also see a situation where Dany or some other person on a dragon attacks, but doesn't intend to decimate the city, and soon finds that the dragon fire has set off a chain reaction in the wildfire.

Very good theory, Mithras. There a lot of symbols in books and everything depends of the way of reading. I think Dany will land in ruins of KL, something like Aegon the Conqueror. Not the same, but quite of. KL will be desolate place when she arrives. And battle vs. Others is her battle. I'm not sure about Jon will be there, but that could easily happen too. The rest seems very likely. And what a Cleganebowl it would be. And while old whore burns Others are reaching Trident.

After the treatment Cersei received at the hands of the Faith, the HS, and the septas, I would not be surprised to see history repeat when she has the pyromancers ignite wildfire beneath the Great Sept after having the doors barred.  She will want them to burn.

ETA:  Maegor the Cruel burned the sept during his war with the Faith.  We know that caches of wildfire have been found hidden beneath the sept previously.  Cersei has demonstrated a fondness for wildfire flames (burning the Red Keep) and a fondness for revenge.

I think the High Sparrow will leave KL and anoint fAegon at Oldtown. Cersei will install a puppet High Septon in his place (most probably Septon Luceon Frey). When Cersei goes fully medieval on KL, she will not make a distinction. I think one of Cersei’s final follies will be to think that Dany is the Younger and More Beautiful Queen coming to take everything from her. So, Cersei will think of destroying the KL with Dany inside.

I can see a large number of POVs being pushed south due to the Others, maybe all the way to KL for refuge. I think it is possible that, near the end, you have many POVs inside KL, Others surrounding it, and Cersei (or someone else) enacting the Wildfire plot.

KL engulfed in uncontrollable fire on the inside, death by cold and Others on the outside.

Jaime killing Cersei to prevent it makes sense, but Qyburn gets away and... poof!

Though I can also see a situation where Dany or some other person on a dragon attacks, but doesn't intend to decimate the city, and soon finds that the dragon fire has set off a chain reaction in the wildfire.

I don’t think this will be the case. People will flee to big cities. In the North, Winterfell and White Harbor and the Wall until it is breached will be among the places people will flock. The Others will advance and prevail in the wilderness, small settlements will be wiped out or deserted like the wildlings did. The big cities will be like islands and the Others will be preying on the loners and stragglers outside the city walls.

Very good theory, Mithras. There a lot of symbols in books and everything depends of the way of reading. I think Dany will land in ruins of KL, something like Aegon the Conqueror. Not the same, but quite of. KL will be desolate place when she arrives. And battle vs. Others is her battle. I'm not sure about Jon will be there, but that could easily happen too. The rest seems very likely. And what a Cleganebowl it would be. And while old whore burns Others are reaching Trident.

Thanks but I really do not think battle vs. Others is Dany’s battle. In fact, this theory makes a case against that. The burning of KL will happen after the three-third of ADoS is finished and up to that point, Dany will be making wars in the Second Dance.

The first item in my draft, where Dany conquers Dorne, will be the final act of the Second Dance of Dragons. This showdown at the KL will be the final act of the War of the Five Kings. When these two stories are concluded, the only thing left will be the Battle for the Dawn and what people do in the immediate aftermath of the victory against the Others.

I think after the KL is burned, Dany will finally head North and confront Jon. There, she will die from childbirth.

Yes, it is kind a expected by most people Dany fights Others so this probably wont happen. And who do you think will father her child? And what happens with dragons? If Dany wont be there for final battle, who will control them? It really looks imposible to me that just humans could win Battle for Dawn, assuming Others will take villages where they will grow in army of the dead. So I think dragons are necesarry, "must have" in order to win.

And how does Sansa will become Cercei's hostage again? Why Mad Cercei wouldn't kill her immedietly instead? She thinks Sansa killed Joff or conspiring to do that at least. So why would she take her as a hostage? What she could get for living Sansa and from who? This would be very interesting to resolve.

I don't think Jaime will choke Cersei with the Hand's chain, I think he'll choke her with his golden hand. It doesn't make sense for Cersei to wear the chain.

As for the rest of the theory, pretty much this:

Too many fucking balls in the air for me to bother theorizing in anything more than the most broad strokes.

Yes, it is kind a expected by most people Dany fights Others so this probably wont happen. And who do you think will father her child? And what happens with dragons? If Dany wont be there for final battle, who will control them? It really looks imposible to me that just humans could win Battle for Dawn, assuming Others will take villages where they will grow in army of the dead. So I think dragons are necesarry, "must have" in order to win.

As for the father of Dany’s child, I think Tyrion and Victarion are currently the most plausible candidates. But since there is a long time to get there, there might be another character that might have an affair with Dany.

As for the dragons, I think Viserion and Rhaegal will be dead while Dany is marching on the KL. It will be a great irony to have some dragons slain in the civil wars instead of the War against the Others.

Dragons might prove useful in wiping out wight armies. Or they might suffer a lot in the bad weather. The important thing is that if the spring comes, the wights will naturally perish and the Others will be gone. So, the humans can defeat the Others if that remove the reason causing unbalanced seasons. 

And how does Sansa will become Cercei's hostage again? Why Mad Cercei wouldn't kill her immedietly instead? She thinks Sansa killed Joff or conspiring to do that at least. So why would she take her as a hostage? What she could get for living Sansa and from who? This would be very interesting to resolve.

Sansa will slay LF and trust Shadrich to get her out of the Vale. Shadrich will deceive Sansa and bring her to KL. Cersei will have political reasons to give Sansa a trial and more importantly, keep her alive. Sansa will say that LF and Tyrells cooperated together in the Purple Wedding.

IIRC, GRRM has said that the Iron Throne will change hands multiple times between now and the end. So the "Cersei still being in charge" point probably doesn't fly.

Tyrion has been foreshadowed to take Dragonstone after Stannis dies - how does that fit in?

Don't see Sansa falling back into Cersei's power.

I'd like to see Jaime burn KL (and himself) as an Other Trap. After he kills Cersei.

IIRC, GRRM has said that the Iron Throne will change hands multiple times between now and the end. So the "Cersei still being in charge" point probably doesn't fly.

He did not say anything like that. He was in a panel with the actors and actresses from the show. Joff was still alive in the show when he said that. What he said was that several people will sit on the IT. Note that Hands and Regents also sit on the IT. So, it is as vague as it can get. Besides, neither fAegon nor Euron seem to have enough strength to take the KL. In the case of fAegon, he will have Oldtown which is much better. Dany will come before he grows strong enough to take the KL. 

Tyrion has been foreshadowed to take Dragonstone after Stannis dies - how does that fit in?

I am not sure about that. Dany will obviously take Dragonstone. I think Tyrion might die in the battle will Stannis which will happen before Dany even starts fighting fAegon. Or he might survive that fight to die in Dorne. 

Don't see Sansa falling back into Cersei's power.

Well, we all have our theories. I am quite confident that Sansa will face her biggest fear which is Cersei.

Archived