What if Rickon Never Returns?

I'll agree that Rickon's steps scream for something, but I can't see it having anything to do with peace. Rickon is Lemmy Kilmister, 49% motherfucker, 51% son of a bitch -- the wild wolf. When he's not busy talking with ghosts or having Shaggydog rip up Maester Luwin, he's busy not taking shit from anybody and raising Hell everywhere he goes. 

Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.

Rickon, King of not giving a F. That line is the whole paragraph. At first glance, one would assume that Shaggy is licking the blood from Rickon's fingers, but the subject never changes. It's Rickon who pats the bloody muzzle, Rickon who nonchalantly acknowledges he loosed his hellbeast from chains, and Rickon who licks the blood from his fingers as to say "do something about it.."

And that's him at 4 years old, raised by cool-hand Ned and surrounded by loving family at Winterfell. What do you think is going to happen to his personality when his mentor figure is now a wildling spear wife, and he grows up on Skagos? 

My thinking exactly.

When we last saw Rickon, he was already getting out of hand, a wild, uncontrollable little boy (understandably traumatised by his experiences). I remember thinking "oh-oh, this spells trouble."

He befriended the Walders, especially Little Walder, who, we later learn, was a Ramsay in the making.

Since then he's had to escape through hostile lands (at least in the sense 'cold and desolate') with a wildling spearwife, ending up in the isle of cannibals...

Davos may find him and bring him "home" to be a figurehead in the North rising against the Boltons, and it might even be successful, but what happens after? Rickon as Lord of Winterfell? He'd still be a young boy but would he take wise counsel (whose?) or just run wild?

In my mind I've been caling him the Mad Wolf of Winterfell.

ETA:

Also, how well qualified would Rickon be to be Warden of the North, or King in the North, for that matter? He's got the right blood but no education because he was so young when it all kicked off. He can't read or write, knows next to nothing of the history and politics of the Seven Kingdoms etc... And how receptive would he be to being taught by a maester or someone?

Also, how well qualified would Rickon be to be Warden of the North, or King in the North, for that matter? He's got the right blood but no education because he was so young when it all kicked off. He can't read or write, knows next to nothing of the history and politics of the Seven Kingdoms etc... And how receptive would he be to being taught by a maester or someone?

I'm thinking Rickon doesn't care whether he's qualified to be the Warden of the North, or the King in the North, or the Lord of Winterfell, or the damn tooth fairy for that matter. You can call him whatever you want, so long as you don't mind spending the last few seconds of your life without a throat. 

Sure people are going to want to crown him and use him for their own political gain, but those people don't know what they're getting themselves into. Rickon acts off pure impulse. He isn't going to sit still long enough to be taught by some Maester, he's going to take what he came for and then go cut someone for no reason.

Well, actually there is a reason.. it's because Rickon damn well felt like cutting someone. 

Dallas tells Jon that magic is a "sword without a sheath."

Well The 1st Storm and the Last is telling you that Rickon is a "chainsaw without a sheath."

He might make a great leader, and he might make a terrible leader. In my heart he will always be the King.

Crackin' brews and crackin' skulls, raising Hell and bringing down the hammer, long live Rickon! KoNGaF!

1st Storm and Last, you just got me pumped up as fuck to see Rickon.

Listen to the song Berserkers by Black Label Society and think about Rickon. I'm pretty sure Zakk Wylde wrote it about him.

KoNGaF!

The steps screaming of peace is in reference to the alliance Rickon will make and ultimately seal, the north with the wildlings and the south.   I expect or rather hope a new Westeros will be forged in this battle.   Wildlings are intermarrying with northerners, castles and lands are being given to clans and southroners are helping the North's cause.  And yes, GRRM has written a fierce little boy and dragged him through the mud.   GRRM has also given him a protector and perhaps a teacher.   While I expect Rickon to be quite willfull and fearless I also expect he will have some respect for Osha and Skaggos, more so than his predecessors.   Integration is already upon the North.  They will all have to learn how to get along and cooperate against far greater dangers than prejudice.  I do not see Rickon as the ultimate savior or warrior, he is a placeholder as the youngest child, but he is in an exquisite position to change many things.  

Yeah man, I'm not shooting you down or anything. I'm not even saying Rickon is the one to reap ultimate vengeance on the enemies of house Stark - as awesome as that would be. Most likely he's not going to have much of an impact at all in the grand scheme of things. Unless GRRM is pulling the double reverse with the whole Shaggydog being named after a dead end story thing. One can hope. That would be a classic Martin twist though, trick you into thinking he tricked you into thinking someone would be important, only to turn around and give them a major role in the story.

The important thing to remember, though, is that Rickon doesn't care. King, peasant, he's still the wild wolf and he will do as he pleases. I have built the Rickon that I want to exist and it's way too much fun to think of him any other way. If Davos isn't careful he just might have a new bag of finger bones to hang around his neck, once Shaggy gets done digesting them of course. 

Now, here's a thought though..

R+W=LoKAaTN  That's Rickon + Wylla (Manderly) = Lord of Kicking Ass and Taking Names

• 2 weeks later...

I believe all the Stark children will return to winterfell (except Robb, maybe his bones might be brought back) because Jojen see's it in his green dreams and GRRM is pretty consistent in giving some foreshadowing in previous books. The one person I am not sure of is Bran, because his situation is very complex with not knowing bloodravens true intentions.

Jojen said that? What book?

If you think about it, Rickon would be the perfect Stark for the Wildling integration. He's been hanging out with a wildling spearwife, on Skagos of all places, and he doesn't take shit from anyone. Whoever rules Winterfell will be the bridge between the northerners and the wildlings. I doubt Jon will rule Winterfell, and I see neither Arya nor Bran taking the role of the Stark in Winterfell anytime soon. Sansa is the only (Stark) option left. She might be better than Rickon at brokering peace, but she will have next to no clue on how to deal with the wildlings. She does have experience dealing with unruly children however...

I see Rickon and Sansa ruling the north together as a rather appealing alternative to Rickon ruling alone and possibly killing one too many lords.

I'll agree that Rickon's steps scream for something, but I can't see it having anything to do with peace. Rickon is Lemmy Kilmister, 49% motherfucker, 51% son of a bitch -- the wild wolf. When he's not busy talking with ghosts or having Shaggydog rip up Maester Luwin, he's busy not taking shit from anybody and raising Hell everywhere he goes. 

Rickon patted Shaggydog's muzzle, damp with blood. "I let him loose. He doesn't like chains." He licked at his fingers.

Rickon, King of not giving a F. That line is the whole paragraph. At first glance, one would assume that Shaggy is licking the blood from Rickon's fingers, but the subject never changes. It's Rickon who pats the bloody muzzle, Rickon who nonchalantly acknowledges he loosed his hellbeast from chains, and Rickon who licks the blood from his fingers as to say "do something about it.."

And that's him at 4 years old, raised by cool-hand Ned and surrounded by loving family at Winterfell. What do you think is going to happen to his personality when his mentor figure is now a wildling spear wife, and he grows up on Skagos? 

The only potential peace I see Rickon's steps screaming is the potential for a swift and merciful death. If Rickon's steps leave a peace trail, it will be spelled "piece" trail - as in pieces of anyone who gets in his way will be strewn about his bloody wake as he marches towards..

Towards what? Winterfell? The Wall? The Twins? The Dreadfort? White Harbor? ... Who knows?

I do. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh! 

As he marches towards.. wherever he damn well feels like marching for. Wherever the ghosts of Winterfell tell him he should go.

Rickon Stark, KoNGaF!

So Rickon will not be "The King in the North" but "The Kings of Winter come again" in your estimation? Cool!

Archived