Cats

Turtle will only knead in a soft, fuzzy kind of thing, like a light fleece blanket... But just gets all freaky with it. She'll hold the blanket in her mouth, slowly pull back while working her paws like mad. Sometimes it goes on so long I think she's stuck in some feedback loop and needs someone to break the cycle for her

Heh. Sounds like she's making a binky, or pacifier, out of it. I've heard that if they're weaned too young, they'll try to find something else to "nurse" for pretty much the rest of their lives. Or maybe she's just orally fixated. :P

Heh. Sounds like she's making a binky, or pacifier, out of it. I've heard that if they're weaned too young, they'll try to find something else to "nurse" for pretty much the rest of their lives. Or maybe she's just orally fixated. :P

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that's it. The pawing/kneading is supposed to stimulate or improve milk flow or something. We got them way too young -- right around two weeks old or so

Yeah, one of the reasons cats knead is connected to nursing, but it's not the only one. Well, it's all pretty speculative anyway, obviously. :p

But there are cats that weren't weaned off too young that will still do it. It's funny how different cats will do it differently. My mum has one that will do it on my mum's lap only, and for what seems to be a really loooooong time. She kneads slowly, purring like mad, her eyes will be half-closed while she's at it, and she'll drool a bit. It's quite funny, she looks like she's in a trance.

Funny, tonight Nala has become extremely fussy - he's sleeping in my room for the first time in a month, and even followed me to the toilet, even though I'm sure he was just fast asleep. Weird cat.

He knew we were talking about him! :eek:

:lol:

How do you guys stop outdoor cats from bringing millions of fleas into the house? Collars are useless - they will get them off - we do a spot-on treatment once a month, and we have those lights that attract fleas and kill them. We also do those flea bomb things a few times a year. And yet, fleas. They're so disgusting, and drive me mad. Any tips?

How do you guys stop outdoor cats from bringing millions of fleas into the house? Collars are useless - they will get them off - we do a spot-on treatment once a month, and we have those lights that attract fleas and kill them. We also do those flea bomb things a few times a year. And yet, fleas. They're so disgusting, and drive me mad. Any tips?

Its too long since i owned a cat, I don't remember what we did! (allergies!)

However, I found this, and the lemon bit sounds familiar 

Its too long since i owned a cat, I don't remember what we did! (allergies!)

However, I found this, and the lemon bit sounds familiar 

Thank you! I was hoping for some natural (and cheap) ideas. I might try the lemon thing. Disgusting little buggers.

Do they sell comfortis there?  It's a miracle.  It kills all the fleas and also turns my animals into walking flea bombs.  One pill lasts a month.  I usually get the dosage for a large dog and use a gram scale to measure out the correct amount for my critters, but they sell it here in the appropriate dosages for cats.  

Do they sell comfortis there?  It's a miracle.  It kills all the fleas and also turns my animals into walking flea bombs.  One pill lasts a month.  I usually get the dosage for a large dog and use a gram scale to measure out the correct amount for my critters, but they sell it here in the appropriate dosages for cats.  

I'll look into it! We use a spot-on formula, it goes on the back of their neck and is supposed to last a month, but they still bring fleas in. One jumped in my tea today :crying: How gross is that? Makes me feel like my house is unclean.

Eta: I checked, and it needs a vets prescription. It is on Amazon, but it's over £40 for 6 tablets, so 3 months. Not something I can afford right now. Damn.

I'll look into it! We use a spot-on formula, it goes on the back of their neck and is supposed to last a month, but they still bring fleas in. One jumped in my tea today :crying: How gross is that? Makes me feel like my house is unclean.

Eta: I checked, and it needs a vets prescription. It is on Amazon, but it's over £40 for 6 tablets, so 3 months. Not something I can afford right now. Damn.

The warm weather here makes them a terrible nuisance.  We have to switch medications every few years as the old ones become ineffective.  Comfortis is the current clear winner.  It's over the counter here.

Also Drac, vacuuming really helps.   Really really really helps.  With both carpet and the hardwood I sprinkle flea powder and vacuum the shit out of the house during flea season.

Edit:  I do find that a single dose lasts closer to 6 weeks.

Meh, fleas are everywhere, especially when the hot weather comes. I have met many dog owners who refuse to go to the park because they know their beast will come home with them. What pisses me off is when a friend is a person who isn't bothered by fleas and I go to their house and the cat transfers them to me. I also looked after a dog for almost three weeks over Christmas one year while friends went to India for a wedding, and they didn't bother telling me their dog had fleas. I will never, ever look after their dog again.

The thing is that both the spot-on stuff and Comfortis will kill the nasty buggers only after they've bitten the cats. Neither works as a 'repellent' that would keep the fleas off, so chances of the animals bringing fleas into the house are all there. And there are so many spots fleas will 'nest' and breed... :ack: The eggs can stay dormant for a long time too. 

I have a link somewhere for all sorts of natural remedies, I'll post it here when (if?) I find it!

The cat who lives here is pretty cool. I never named her, she's just "Kitty" to me. She has an adorable all white fur face and belly with a calico colored coat down the back. She's an indoor kitty so we havent experienced any fleas. She has a number of entertaining characteristics, just now she leaped off a recliner up onto a high window sill, i think she's batwatching, but she's equally interested in chewing on a potted flower plant that's up there. Anytime i'm on the phone she will jump in my lap like she's jealous of me talking to some mysterious entity? She does a have a bit of seperation anxiety and hates whenever we leave. I have never had a cat that was this vocal either. She doesn't just purr, she has a well developed meow that she likes to express her moods with. Very unique personality "Kitty" has.

I haven't peeked at this yet, but I-Spy a Youtube "Cat in the Hat" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jK6l1WJKUU

Today Dante, our 9 year old indoor tabby cat, caught his first rodent.  We are staying at my parents' house and they have a screened-in porch that he loves to sit on.  A suicidal chipmunk must have squeezed in somewhere (we are checking for holes).  He trotted back indoors quite pleased with himself bearing his (still living) prize.  It was proudly dropped in front of me while I was changing my son's diaper.  Chipmunk ran, we hope, back outside, though the jury is kind of out on that (cat wasn't sniffing any place too suspiciously, so we hope).

My mum is waging a losing battle with Nala. His current sleeping spot is her washing basket, and she's constantly trying to shoo him out, but he always jumps straight back in. I told her to put her clothes away, but she doesn't listen, and so Nala will continue to sleep on them. Pick your battles, woman, Nala will always win this one.

My mum is waging a losing battle with Nala. His current sleeping spot is her washing basket, and she's constantly trying to shoo him out, but he always jumps straight back in. I told her to put her clothes away, but she doesn't listen, and so Nala will continue to sleep on them. Pick your battles, woman, Nala will always win this one.

Mine do this. I'll have clothes folded on the bed (taking up no more than 5% of available bed area), and one of the cats will immediately jump up there and settle down on the clothing. We've taken to folding the laundry with the bedroom door closed.

I don't know how I didn't remember this... Check out something called Diatomaceous earth.

We had a major flea infestation, and this stuff worked wonders. I'm still unsure how the SO didn't get arrested at the airport, since he brought 2kg of the powdered stuff, and it looked exactly like 2kg of cocaine. And It's cheap and safe. :)

Archived