Cats

I'll look into it! We use a spot-on formula, it goes on the back of their neck and is supposed to last a month, but they still bring fleas in. One jumped in my tea today :crying: How gross is that? Makes me feel like my house is unclean.

Eta: I checked, and it needs a vets prescription. It is on Amazon, but it's over £40 for 6 tablets, so 3 months. Not something I can afford right now. Damn.

Is the monthly stuff you are using over the counter or from the vet?  It might make a difference.  I always found frontline to be very effective and only ended up using it on the cats a couple times a year, never every month.  It's a lot more expensive though.

Chipmunk update!

It was still in the house.  It emerged in the afternoon.  Cat to quote my mother "played soccer with it" until he could be corralled.  Chipmunk was swept out of the house.  Cat was peeved but settled down after a little catnip.

Is the monthly stuff you are using over the counter or from the vet?  It might make a difference.  I always found frontline to be very effective and only ended up using it on the cats a couple times a year, never every month.  It's a lot more expensive though.

We use Frontline. What is it with my cats then?

Kissd: Thank you! I'll look into it.

I don't know, but it doesn't seem right that if you're using Frontline every month you would have still so many fleas on the cats that they're jumping into your drink, LOL.

You could try flea bombing the house, e.g. maybe the fleas are no longer on the cats but IN the house?  We had to do that once when I was a child.

FYI, if you do use a flea bomb you'll have to read the directions very very carefully in terms of how soon the cats can be in the house.  The bombs are a huge pain, you have to cover all kinds of stuff, very toxic, but they work.

The other thing that works well if it's just the odd flea when they come home, a very fine flea comb works really well, too. 

Regarding what Cas said, it's as I've said before, if the fleas are in the house already (and reproducing), then it's a different story. 

There are a number of products to be used in the environment, but regardless what manufacturers/sellers/etc say they are dangerous, especially for cats.  Fleas love love love carpets and wooden floors, and will lay eggs by the zillions - don't panic, just a little hyperbole.

But to do something like that and be sure the cats won't be affected, you'd have to keep them out of the house for a few days at least - it all varies, depending on the product that will be used.

Hoovering (a lot) helps. 

That diatomaceous earth (food grade) works too. When we had the flea problem thanks to the tenant from hell, we used it in the house as well (but always the food grade stuff, to be on the safe side). The thing is, it  makes a mess. You have to scatter the cocaine-like powder everywhere and leave for a bit - I don't remember the instructions, but we left it for 48 hours, then hoovered and cleaned. The floor is hardwood, I imagine it would have been much messier if we had carpet. I did work. :)

I've never tried the powder.

I had to bomb our house a couple of years ago due to horror film level ant infestation and I think I kept the cats out for 48 hours, might have been 72...which was more than the manufacturers directions indicated was necessary.

I've never tried the powder.

I had to bomb our house a couple of years ago due to horror film level ant infestation and I think I kept the cats out for 48 hours, might have been 72...which was more than the manufacturers directions indicated was necessary.

Yeah, that stuff worked wonders here. And the infestation was horrific. I think the stupid tenant never treated her dogs at all for the whole time she was renting our place, and she left all their fleas and the gazillion eggs as presents for us, on top of MANY other things. 

And because it's 3 cats and 3 dogs, one being very big and one biggish, the comfortis/frontline was getting very expensive.  I gotta say I was very sceptical about the DE. It was my husband's idea, and he always has many ideas, and they're usually a bit insane. But we were kinda losing the battle against the fleas and getting broke in the process, so I let him convince me to try it, and it did work like a charm. 

• 4 weeks later...

Heh. Sounds like she's making a binky, or pacifier, out of it. I've heard that if they're weaned too young, they'll try to find something else to "nurse" for pretty much the rest of their lives. Or maybe she's just orally fixated. :P

I actually popped in to find out if this is what's going on with our new boy. He'll plop down on the chair, pull his tail up between his front paws (which are furiously kneading the chair), purr like mad, and what looks to me like suckle the end of his tail. Mr. Tyr thought it might be an anxiety thing, but I was wondering if he was weaned too early. He'll stop if you gently move his tail and distract him with scratches. 

Besides that, he's settling in really well. Pretty much since day one. Especially since he was at the shelter since April until we got him two weeks ago. He doesn't particularly care for his diet, but he's quite the chubbers at 15lbs (you have to bend at the knees to pick him up. It's like hauling around a sack of potatoes!). He absolutely despised other cats, so he refused to leave his kennel (they open up the doors and let the cats run free around an enclosed room full of toys from 10-4 every day). He would just lay in his kennel and eat. Get up to use the litter box and lay back down. We don't know if his hatred of other cats is why the absolutely despicable excuses for human beings that had him before the shelter declawed his cute little front double paws (he has thumbs!), or he hates other cats because he can't defend himself. Either way, he's loving stomping around the flat and having the humans all to himself   :)

• 10 months later...

This is too good not to share. And maybe it's a cautionary tale as well! :P

Our cats are arseholes. They have a very big garden, but if they want to go to the loo, they always run inside to use the litter. I had to travel for a week, and among other specific instructions I left with mr kbf, the main one was: 

DO NOT FORGET TO CLEAN THE CAT LITTER METICULOUSLY!

Because he gets a bit annoyed that the cats run inside to use the litter instead of just doing their business in the garden, mr kbf thought he'd train them. So, he'd leave the litter outside in the garden, and only at night he'd clean it and take it inside. (The cats are not allowed outside at night). 

And one night, he's yanked from sleep in the middle of the night feeling something walking over him, and a warm liquid running down his back.

He'd forgotten to clean the litter and bring it back inside, and one of the furry darlings needed to relieve him/herself, and took the opportunity to teach the hubby a lesson. I think he won't forget the litter ever again. :lol:

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

This is too good not to share. And maybe it's a cautionary tale as well! :P

Our cats are arseholes. They have a very big garden, but if they want to go to the loo, they always run inside to use the litter. I had to travel for a week, and among other specific instructions I left with mr kbf, the main one was: 

DO NOT FORGET TO CLEAN THE CAT LITTER METICULOUSLY!

Because he gets a bit annoyed that the cats run inside to use the litter instead of just doing their business in the garden, mr kbf thought he'd train them. So, he'd leave the litter outside in the garden, and only at night he'd clean it and take it inside. (The cats are not allowed outside at night). 

And one night, he's yanked from sleep in the middle of the night feeling something walking over him, and a warm liquid running down his back.

He'd forgotten to clean the litter and bring it back inside, and one of the furry darlings needed to relieve him/herself, and took the opportunity to teach the hubby a lesson. I think he won't forget the litter ever again. :lol:

This, folks.  This is the exact reason why you don't f' with your cat.  They will relieve themselves, intentionally, on you whilst you sleep. You bring in a cat? Come correct or get a goldfish. Nothing in between or your arse gets a feline golden shower.

22 minutes ago, Ixodes said:

This, folks.  This is the exact reason why you don't f' with your cat.  They will relieve themselves, intentionally, on you whilst you sleep. You bring in a cat? Come correct or get a goldfish. Nothing in between or your arse gets a feline golden shower.

Feline golden shower! I love it! :lol:

And of course now this incident shall be forever called "the day Jon got a feline golden shower". Thank you! 

My neighbor's baby has his own cat.  The household has about 15 including the 7 outdoor cats, a pile of strays and the handful that are allowed in.  The baby is 14 months old and always proudly shows me his kitty (who lurks nearby) whenever I go to visit.  The baby does a pretty good job being gentle, but will still grab a handful of fur or a tail, ear or foot.  Kitty never does anything except push his hands away.  Yesterday the kitty swatted him a few times (no claws) for trying to pull part of the rug apart.  I love cats.

• 1 month later...

I adore cats ^_^ I always liked them and dreamt about having my own in the house but me parents were always against it -_- My dream came true only after moving from them into a separate flat, now I have two of them ^_^ It's such an amazing pleasure but also a great responsibilty because you need always to feed them, to care, to control their physical condition... And also care about your furniture and other stuff, nothing can held uncarefully because of them :D The other problem is the wool, it's everywhere, especially during the spring/autumn (and I lile black clothes :D) but if you have a good vacuum cleaner similiar to these ones from Jon's Guide or a special comb the situatuon is much better. I felt it when I finally bought a cool furminator, it was rather expensive but the result was worth ^_^
Anyway I love my cats! :wub::wub:

The furry beasts are currently staring at me, because it's time for their second dinner. (yes, they're Hobbits in their feeding routine -- no word yet if they've found any Rings of Power.) All glory to the furry beasts!

Elder Sister has now joined the Feline Army, btw. Her two kittens are the cutest.

On 8/7/2015 at 2:21 PM, Cas Stark said:

Frontline stopped working for us last year (apparently this is a thing).  So we've moved to Advantage which seems to working well for now.  Not sure what we'll do if that stops working.

Archived